Author Topic: Who wants to see a painted M Mini?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline tad

Who wants to see a painted M Mini?
« on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 01:15:02 »
I just won a Model M Mini on eBay, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I want to paint the 'board black, maybe with some silver highlights. So what I'm wondering is, will black Rit dye work well on M keycaps? And what kind of paint should I use on the case? I seem to recall xsphat using Krylon Fusion on one of his boards, and it worked well, but I could be mistaken.

Hopefully this 'board will come out better-looking than the EnduraPro my drunk sis destroyed with a glass of water.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 01:47:20 »
I wonder if RIT dye wouldnt work on the entire case? Might be better than paint...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 01:53:00 »
I recall someone saying that they tried it, and ended up with a warped, unusable case.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 03:06:08 »
Case melting/warping temperatures start below 50 degrees Celsius. Or in other words, all cases I dishwashed at 50 deg survived except one (white IBM Ambra).

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline andb

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 February 2009, 14:08:52 »
Get the black keys from Unicomp instead of destroying the ones on the M. Then you can always go back to them or sell / give them to someone who needs them.

I dont know if I could bring myself to dye an M spacesaver... it seems sacrilegious to me...

Offline tad

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 February 2009, 04:48:56 »
I'm actually trading with another forum member for some RIT-dyed keys. As for the case, I picked up a can of Plasti-Dip spray covering, which I tried on a spare mouse. It sticks like a charm, makes an attractive (and non-skid) rubber surface, and can be removed later if I want to sell the board.