Author Topic: Key Texture on Filco/ABS/other Costar 'boards  (Read 2119 times)

Offline itlnstln

Key Texture on Filco/ABS/other Costar 'boards
« on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 16:41:49 »
I have noticed after using my ABS 'boards for the past couple of weeks, that the "gritty" coating on the keys, especially those I use a lot, seems to have worn off.  Has anyone else noticed this with their Costar 'board?  I am not unhappy about it, per se, but I just thought it was a little odd; it is still a fantastic keyboard.  I usually notice on 'boards with textured keys that after some time (say, a year), the texture will wear down, even if you type with clean hands (which I am a stickler about :) ). It seems that whatever Costar uses to coat their keys wears off fairly quickly.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 18:20:39 »
Ya, texture is the first thing to go, I think.

I have this on my keys. (Not so much to preserve the keys, just to add grip which I like). Easy to apply (just lay a long strip across a row of keys and snip between them).  It lasts about 4 or 5 months per application.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 22:36:38 »
Have they started to go shiny already? Filco Majestouch have UV coating on the keycaps. Maybe you can use something like 303 Aerospace Protectant when it wears off. I don't know if regular applications can prevent shine from wear though.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 February 2009, 06:31:02 »
They haven't gone mirror-shiny yet like a well-used keyboard; they are still their regular finish, although they do reflect a little more light.  The keys on the Costar board aren't textured at all like most of the keyboards I have used in the past.  The keys on the ABS are made of a smooth plastic.  It's just the textured coating that has come off.  I am not too worried about it; I just wanted to know if this is typical.