Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium Headphones  (Read 8652 times)

Offline x9Memoriez

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium Headphones
« on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 19:37:08 »
Decided to add something to this thread after owning these headphones for the better part of 10~ days, and i think i've just about owned them long enough to give a proper review. Without further ado...

Aesthetics: 8/10

I think these actually look pretty good. Not take-outside-and-show-off good, but very respectable. I think its because im quite drawn to duller colours such as black and silver, so the colour scheme really draws me to it. The back of the cups also have a very tasteful grill design rather than the usual mesh and visible driver look of many other open headphones, and doesnt affect how open they are either. I took off a couple points due to the exposed wire (Which im not a complete fan of, but that's up to you, much like all types of aesthetics.) as well as the velour cups. Ill get more in-depth with the cups in the comfort section of this review, however they have an uneven shade, even out of the box. They are mostly silver, with weird dark grey splotches all over. I don't like that, i just wish they would stay the usual silver they're supposed to be.

Comfort 10/10

Yeah, you read that right. A perfect score. And that's not even being generous, i would put 11/10 if i wanted to, but to keep this slightly more professional, i wont  :p

The clamp force, headband design as well as the cups are almost all PERFECT. The absolute ONLY gripe i have with the comfort of these headphones are how the cups are circular rather than the oval shape i prefer so that it completely conforms to the shape of your ears, but in this case, it really hardly matters. Want to know why? Its because i can fit 4 of my knuckles into the earpads with a tiny bit of space to spare. To give a little context, my ears are about the size of three. Yeah, there's absolutely massive, and i love it that way.

The foam used in the earpads are not too soft, but not too firm either, probably memory foam. Its super comfortable, although the velour on the earpads doesn't let your ears breathe as much as say, fabric, but far more than faux or real leather.

Lets get to that headband. Im sorry, but why isnt every other company copying this design? Its fantastic, removable with a tiny bit of hassle, made out of a great feeling faux leather, and has the nicest foam EVER embedded in it. I really dont need to say more, you cant even feel it on top of your head after 2 minutes. Same goes for the earpads.

Finally, the clamp is not too light, however not as heavy as some sennheisers. They clamp enough so that quick head movements or a little bit of headbanging wont make them fly off your head, but not as much that you feel like a vice is gripping onto your skull. The pro version of the DT990's i believe has a heavier clamp, but not really anything a little overnight stretching over a chair cant fix.

Sound: 8.5/10

For sound, ill start with the bad, and move onto the good. :thumb:

Ill start with saying that if you're not a fan of slightly sibilant treble and a more warm sound signature, you will not like these, like, at all, unless you feel like EQing quite heavily. The treble on these is quite unforgiving, and if you listen to songs where the vocals are quite upfront, with many "s" sounds, your ears, and eventually your head, will hate you. If you're not a fan of treble, you probably couldn't keep these on your head for longer than 30 minutes, period. However...

Let these burn in, seriously. After 50-100 hours of burn in (Naturally for me) the highs seriously come down and sound far more bearable and accurate, and as well as this, if you're getting anything over the 32 ohm version (I recommend the 32 of 600 ohm, heard of a couple problems with the 250) please amp it. like PLEASE, a good headphone amp, such as the Fiio E09k, Schiit Magni, or O2 can seriously make these things sound way better than if you left them as is. Get a good Dac too.

Another flaw would be how recessed the mids are. The feel so distant compared to the thundering bass and bright highs that vocals seem to be only second to the beat and instruments, rather than being the highlight or being one with them (if that makes sense.)

After quite a rambling, you might ask, how in the heck did these even get a 8.5 rating?

Bass, i say. and no, not that muddy, boomy bass that sounds terrible (looking at you, Beats,) but that tight, banging bass that makes your head vibrate in the right moments, its really quite stunning, and has got to be some of the most satisfying sub-bass i've heard from open cans. Electronic and Hip-hop loving unite. (apart from the treble.)

As well as this, the soundstage on these is very good, like, very VERY good. Not the best, how still very wide, and instrument separation is very accurate too. While listening to a song, i had to quickly take my headphones off to make sure my siblings werent the ones playing piano and it was actually coming out of my headphones. Yeah, good job Beyer.

Build/Design 7/10

These things are built pretty darn tanky. Metal everywhere, beautiful velour and faux leather, and a very sparse use of plastic, only on the logo on the hinges and the rim of the earcups.

But, BUT, The cable has GOT to be one of the WORST i've seen on a pair of headphones, like period.

To start with, its non removable, which i could've overlooked if the cable was decent. But its not. Its about the thickness of a average power cord, and its over 10 feet.

Over 10 feet, and they don't give an option for a short cable? If you're taking these anywhere outside, have fun managing that ****er, because its gonna be a nightmare.

To top it off, the connector is pretty large, and all of this together makes a cable that weighs almost as much as the headphones themselves. Ouch.

Conclusion: 8/10

A very good pair. Dont really need to say more. Just make sure the sound signature is to your taste, and you'll love them as long as you manage the cable properly. Did i mention that they are the most comfortable ****ing things ever? Yeah, two pillows. Recommended.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 20:46:55 by x9Memoriez »
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline x9Memoriez

Re: Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium Headphones
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 20:44:32 »
Woops, accidental post. Cant delete D:

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:38:13 »
Great review!

Recently I purchased the Massdrop Beyerdynamic DT990's in all black, 600 ohm. From the reviews it was pretty much described as super highs and some people mentioned it's similar to sticking pencils in your ears. But coming from the HD600's and K7XX, it's a refreshing change, where you hear every single detail in the recording. The downside is you really hear the hiss and pop from recordings that are anything less than extremely high quality. Right now these are my go to headphones but I'm struggling with the power as my Asus sound card while rated for 600 ohm's, feels like it's not able to stay as loud as running 300 ohm's.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 04:30:20 »
Great review!

Recently I purchased the Massdrop Beyerdynamic DT990's in all black, 600 ohm. From the reviews it was pretty much described as super highs and some people mentioned it's similar to sticking pencils in your ears. But coming from the HD600's and K7XX, it's a refreshing change, where you hear every single detail in the recording. The downside is you really hear the hiss and pop from recordings that are anything less than extremely high quality. Right now these are my go to headphones but I'm struggling with the power as my Asus sound card while rated for 600 ohm's, feels like it's not able to stay as loud as running 300 ohm's.

Yeah, its not for everyone, but for some people (including me), its not too bad and quite pleasing actually. Far different from my shures which focus on vocals at least.

The 600Ohm pair is actually surprisingly easy to drive, with my Fiio E17k Amp+Dac being able to drive it easily, with the volume being uncomfortable 2/3rds of the way up. Its a bit expensive, but a great solution for portable use too. Can upgrade to a Fiio K5 later down the road, but i dont think it would be necessary.

I envy you with the full black! It looks so nice... But i snagged these on ebay for about 200Aud, which is like 140USD, so im pretty happy.  :thumb:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:44:51 »
I'm no audio expert, but these cans have definitely been suiting me well. Great pickup up for sub $150 especially
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SenorCit

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 05:13:52 »
Thanks for the review, interesting read. As a fellow Beyer user, I would add that if you want a more neutral tonal balance look at the DT880. They have been used as a mix reference headphone for ages for a reason.

Offline gain

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 05:21:22 »
Heyy I used to have a pair of these.

I definitely agree with the review, wore out my pair and sold them off to a mate, I ended up upgrading to a pair of T90's (and somehow ended up with a pair of Denon AH D5000's in the process).

Would not hesitate to snag another pair if I had some kind of justification :P

I've been praising the 990's for 6 years now and will continue to do so  :thumb:

Also for what it's worth, I recall paying about $270 back then which was considered a "good deal" to my uninformed self, 250ohm version I believe.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 05:23:24 by gain »

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:22:11 »
Heyy I used to have a pair of these.

I definitely agree with the review, wore out my pair and sold them off to a mate, I ended up upgrading to a pair of T90's (and somehow ended up with a pair of Denon AH D5000's in the process).

Would not hesitate to snag another pair if I had some kind of justification :P

I've been praising the 990's for 6 years now and will continue to do so  :thumb:

Also for what it's worth, I recall paying about $270 back then which was considered a "good deal" to my uninformed self, 250ohm version I believe.

How are the T90's? I've heard a couple mixed things about them. Some people swearing by them, and a couple complaining that they are too bright. How about you?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 21:58:54 »
I have the DT-770 Pro 80ohm myself.

I've been wanting to pick up either a pair of the 990 Premiums or the 880 premiums for a more open headphone since I'm not too worried about leak.

I agree the cable is horrble. It's obviously built very nicely, quite thick and sturdy, but it's really stiff, way too long, and kinks like crazy. My old $30 Panasonics have a really nice light and soft cable that never kinks, If I was better at soldering I would recable them.

Offline knguyen553

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 00:32:18 »
I have the same headphones. yes they are ugly.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | SHTF: Cherry MX 7.62x39

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 00:54:56 »
The beyerdynamic lines are some of the most comfortable for sure! Had the dt 880s for a while but couldn't get over the treble

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 03:41:53 »
The beyerdynamic lines are some of the most comfortable for sure! Had the dt 880s for a while but couldn't get over the treble
yeah, that's beyers house sound, bright and bassy.

You might like Sennheiser? They have a darker, smooth sound, and their comfort is not far off. The HD 558 / 518 / 598 specifically

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:41:52 »
I have those as well for my piano. I do no think they are overly bassy like M-Audio gear for instance. More crisp and bright. Feel really natural to me, but that may be my ears.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g