Author Topic: KeyCaps For My TKL Shine 3!  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Abn

KeyCaps For My TKL Shine 3!
« on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 17:49:19 »
So i preordered my shine 3 and it should be here this week, and I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas of what I should do keycap wise with it !

I am open to any suggestions and pictures of your own!

-Abn
Noppoo Choc Mini Reds | Ducky Shine 3 TKL Browns | Topre Realforce 87U 45gram

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: KeyCaps For My TKL Shine 3!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 19:33:53 »
Enjoy it as it is for a few weeks to let yourself become accustomed to it.

As for backlight-friendly keycap sets, there are not many of those around, mainly those made by Ducky which you can pick up from a few places.

For non-backlight-friendly keycaps, the Ducky has a standard layout so almost any standard set should fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Abn

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:27:46 »
Enjoy it as it is for a few weeks to let yourself become accustomed to it.

As for backlight-friendly keycap sets, there are not many of those around, mainly those made by Ducky which you can pick up from a few places.

For non-backlight-friendly keycaps, the Ducky has a standard layout so almost any standard set should fit.
Ya hmm, I guess ill just stay with the regular keycaps... Im a sad panda.

Edit... I found some I want, does anyone know if there are any like this that will fit a Ducky ? :D

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-universal-black-translucent-mechanical-keyboard-keycap-set.html

Edit 2: It does fit ducky and I am pretty sure it also has cherry style modifiers! So this is the set I will be getting :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 20:39:39 by Abn »
Noppoo Choc Mini Reds | Ducky Shine 3 TKL Browns | Topre Realforce 87U 45gram

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:01:29 »
Those ones will give you a different look to the standard Ducky keycaps.

Instead of each letter lighting up when the backlighting is on, the legends are printed on the side of the keycaps, and the backlighting just makes the top of the key glow a bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:02:31 »
You could try to find a different colored set of backlit keys

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:58:44 »
What do you mean, terran5
You could try to find a different colored set of backlit keys
What do you mean? The colour usually comes from the LEDs.

There are coloured transparent keycaps though. There are also opaque keycaps but that are not very thick, so the light shows through them anyway (but you get to see the struts inside)
You could use different colours of such keycaps on the board if it has white backlighting.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 22:55:43 »
Or, with white LEDs (mainly), you can get small plastic caps that fit over the LEDs under the keycaps to change the colours that shine through.

Offline BrockSamson

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 20:42:40 »
What do they call those little plastic caps anyways? Do they work well? Know where to get them?

Offline xecut

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 22:24:17 »
Get a Snake keycap from geekfeng ! LOL
since Shine3 kinda symbolises Year of the snake.  :))

Or maybe, get a set of PBT DoubleShot keycaps. Looks pretty awesome i reckon.

Topre Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary Edition | Topre Realforce 87U White Silent | KBT Race | KBT Poker ii | Filco Majestouch Pink