Author Topic: Unable to boot  (Read 11609 times)

Offline ivanlovric27121991

• balqalal
Unable to boot
« on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 03:23:55 »
Hey there ! I have a problem I think you can help me with. I have a Toshiba satellite a300 1G5 and I installed ssd in it. After that  my usb stick is unrecognized in the bios and I can't boot from it to install windows from it. And I marked it as active using diskpart and still nothing.
The error message is "active partitions not found . Press any key "
Thanks.

Poslano sa mog 220733SG koristeći Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Unable to boot
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 08:52:45 »
My first guess would be a faulty USB drive.
Can you check it in another computer?
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

• balqalal
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 08:54:27 »
No the stick works fine on the other machine. It boots and everything, dunno

• balqalal
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 08:56:42 »
No the stick works fine on the other machine. It boots and everything, dunno

This thing happens every time I install SSD into it. When I remove the SSD and put the HDD back everything is normal and the USB boots.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 14:00:26 »
I have one laptop where it will ONLY boot the USB from a cold boot.
If you reboot, no matter what, it will not allow you to boot from any external device. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that one out.

Another problem could be the formatting and how Bios handles it. The bios may be switching to UEFI/GPT/secure boot once it sees a properly formatted drive (i.e. the ssd). Look in the bios and see if there's an option to allow MBR or legacy boot. This option may only show up if secure boot is disabled as secure boot requires GPT formatting.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 March 2023, 06:34:14 »
If you reboot, no matter what, it will not allow you to boot from any external device. You have no idea how long it took me to figure that one out.

Another problem could be the formatting and how Bios handles it. The bios may be switching to UEFI/GPT/secure boot once it sees a properly formatted drive (i.e. the ssd). Look in the bios and see if there's an option to allow MBR or legacy boot. This option may only show up if secure boot is disabled as secure boot requires GPT formatting.

bios has alot of hidden settings they lock away from us.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 March 2023, 06:26:57 »

bios has alot of hidden settings they lock away from us.

In some cases it's good to hide those settings away, I have seen people mess up things to cause boot/post issues. 

I can bet they dont have the Boot from external media/USB setting enabled - alot of machines have this disabled by default.  Normally this setting is in the boot/system menu in the bios.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D