Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 396696 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 20:54:41 »
Lots of free beer from work this weekend :D

About a 12 pack mix of Labatt Blue Light and Light Lime

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 20:57:07 »
The Abbey was the best New Belgium beer I've tasted. It's good. The rest of their stuff I don't really like. Even their hefeweizen, and those are my favorite beers!

Sadly, I'm drinking Coors right now... I'm not enjoying this very much.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:37:51 »
Does anyone have a favorite Dunkelweizen?

Lots of free beer from work this weekend :D

About a 12 pack mix of Labatt Blue Light and Light Lime

Wherever you work, sounds like a really delightful place!

The Abbey was the best New Belgium beer I've tasted. It's good. The rest of their stuff I don't really like. Even their hefeweizen, and those are my favorite beers!

Sadly, I'm drinking Coors right now... I'm not enjoying this very much.

I think I'll go hunt down a bottle tomorrow!

Ouch. I didn't fair much better, a few bottles of Corona Light while out at the lake trying to catch some dinner. Catfish, yum, yum!

Double post, Night cap ;D

Probably the best dessert beer ever

I have to be honest, I wasn't really that impressed with the Rogue double chocolate. I really do enjoy chocolate stouts, especially Young's and Rogues regular chocolate stout. For some reason I didn't really care for the double. I don't know why.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:42:10 by Asininity »

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:47:01 »
I have to be honest, I wasn't really that impressed with the Rogue double chocolate. I really do enjoy chocolate stouts, especially Young's and Rogues regular chocolate stout. For some reason I didn't really care for the double. I don't know why.

Hmm interesting, I absolutely adore that beer ;D
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:59:22 »
Had some Wells Banana Bread beer tonight. Never thought banana flavor would pair so well with beer, little too much spice though.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 03:26:43 »
Hmm interesting, I absolutely adore that beer ;D

Who knows, I might try it again sometime down the line. I wonder if it could have been a bad bottle. It tasted a little flat and sour but I've never had a random "bad" bottle before.

Had some Wells Banana Bread beer tonight. Never thought banana flavor would pair so well with beer, little too much spice though.

It's so strangely yummy. Sounds kind of nasty but I was thoroughly surprised.

Too bad the closet place where I know where it's stocked is a Whole Foods over half an hour away.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 05:07:08 »
Who knows, I might try it again sometime down the line. I wonder if it could have been a bad bottle. It tasted a little flat and sour but I've never had a random "bad" bottle before.

Ahh ok, nah that doesn't sound right..

Could be all manner of things. There's a lot of retailers out there who don't handle beer right once it hits the shelves.

We get plenty of random bad bottles down here, after they make that voyage it's not uncommon for I'd say 1/10 to be infected, lightstruck or age ravaged. Luckily we've got a really good distributor called Hashigo Zake here that is vastly improving the quality of our imported crafties!
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline Asininity

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:26:12 »
Ahh ok, nah that doesn't sound right..

Could be all manner of things. There's a lot of retailers out there who don't handle beer right once it hits the shelves.

We get plenty of random bad bottles down here, after they make that voyage it's not uncommon for I'd say 1/10 to be infected, lightstruck or age ravaged. Luckily we've got a really good distributor called Hashigo Zake here that is vastly improving the quality of our imported crafties!

It was really a rather peculiar taste. It wasn't so sour or flat that it tasted rancid, revolting, or even that bad. Just this odd sort of flavor. I managed to down the bottle but I just wasn't very impressed. 

That makes a lot of sense. It's always those intuitive conclusions that your mind just waddles on past and you feel silly afterwards for not realizing it.

Ouch, that's a lot. Hopefully that ratio keeps on improving!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #208 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 15:28:44 »
c-c-can i play, didn't realize they sold hoegaarden here. :D think the supermarkets just started stocking it recently

Buckling spring warrior!

Offline tribade

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:21:30 »
I wish people could send me beer. The selection in OKC is horrible and I'd love any of the following lol

1. New Glarus - Totally Naked
Show Image

2. Nectar Ales - Red Nectar
Show Image

3. Capital Brewery - Supper Club (The best cheap beer ever!!! I will even accept cans lol)
Show Image

Can't knock cans anymore! Look at those beautiful 21st amendment cans and brews!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:23:01 »
Sadly, I still have more Coors to knock off.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:23:25 »
Sadly, I still have more Coors to knock off.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. What you need to knock off is the purchasing of such things.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 16:25:13 »
I had to make a decision: have good tasting beer or get drunk more. I made my choice.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 21:55:54 »
I had to make a decision: have good tasting beer or get drunk more. I made my choice.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 19:39:17 »
Bought a pack to share...last one is definitely mine =)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:33:08 »
For you weizen fans, if you get a chance to get some Freigeist Pimock you really shouldn't pass it up. Its ****ing delicious!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:51:03 »
I live in Colorado so i am Spoiled when it comes to beer. So many micro-breweries and craft beers. We call ourselves the Napa Valley of Beer.

My favorite brewery in Colorado is Left Hand Brewery out of Longmont.  Their Nitro Milk Stout and Sawtooth Ale are simply delicious. I highly recommend both those beers to all of you keyboard fiends.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:55:39 »
I live in Colorado so i am Spoiled when it comes to beer. So many micro-breweries and craft beers. We call ourselves the Napa Valley of Beer.

My favorite brewery in Colorado is Left Hand Brewery out of Longmont.  Their Nitro Milk Stout and Sawtooth Ale are simply delicious. I highly recommend both those beers to all of you keyboard fiends.

Yes, yes you are spoiled.  Left Hand Brewery is good, but my heart still belongs to Avery.  Their Maharajah is probably my favorite IPA.  Of course, I'm in California and we have some awesome microbreweries too.  Drake's up in the Bay area is one of my favorites and Bootlegger's and the Brouery in Orange County are both pretty solid breweries.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 17:49:10 »

I think we need a Denver meetup at Great Divide's taproom.

meebcats - my bad music

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 17:54:53 »
Ooooh that sounds like a plan! I like visiting Denver, and surrounding like Boulder, Springs, Fort Collins, etc. anyway and would be more likely to do some traveling for more than just a keyboard meet up. Could do like a 4 or 5 brewery tour plus meet up or something would be cool.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 17:55:56 »
...Their Maharajah is probably my favorite IPA....
It is awesome! I believe it's my favorite Double IPA from the bottle.  Fresh Pliny on tap is better IMO, but for some reason it loses something in the bottle to me.  Perhaps I've just never had fresh Maharajah on tap?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:02:55 »
this is my second fav after pliney

Offline tribade

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:27:22 »
this is my second fav after pliney

How can you not love Pliny?  Today I'm drinking some Drakes 1500 pale ale.  Delicious!

http://drinkdrakes.com/site/the-beer/drake%E2%80%99s-1500-pale-ale-5-5-abv-48-ibus/

I'm well past the drinking age and it's still weird clicking that "Yes, I am 21" button
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:45:37 »
Just had a chance to try Alpines release for City Beer Store, Magnificent Seven and it easily tops Pliny. Still haven't tried Heady but have some friends getting some in soon so we'll see :D
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/94011/

Check out Alpine's other IPAs as well, the Nelson stuff is hands down some of the best beer brewed on the west coast. Too bad the distro is so small :/
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120

From last night:
Almanac's latest release in their American wild ale series:
#3 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24940/94425
#4 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24940/94455

Parabola '13 by FW on draft!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/41815

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:50:02 »
Yeah, I want to try the Nelson beer from Alpine.  There's something I love about those fruity New Zealand hops that are fun in contrast to the citrusy American ones.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:51:34 »
Yeah, I want to try the Nelson beer from Alpine.  There's something I love about those fruity New Zealand hops that are fun in contrast to the citrusy American ones.

Nelson IPAs are AMAZING! I wish RRBC would source some and do a single hop with them like Row 2 HIll 56 Simcoe pale

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:59:11 »
Speaking of City Beer Store... you think they'll still have that Magnificent Seven on Sunday or Monday?  My hotel will only be a few blocks from there!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 23:10:18 »
Speaking of City Beer Store... you think they'll still have that Magnificent Seven on Sunday or Monday?  My hotel will only be a few blocks from there!

IIRC it sold out on release. But they'll have quite a few good things on tap. I take it you won't be passing up Toronado either? If you go early on Sunday when the owner is there you might even get lucky and score something crazy. I friend of a friend just walked out with a Cable Car Kriek the other day :cool:

Offline tribade

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 23:45:17 »

IIRC it sold out on release. But they'll have quite a few good things on tap. I take it you won't be passing up Toronado either? If you go early on Sunday when the owner is there you might even get lucky and score something crazy. I friend of a friend just walked out with a Cable Car Kriek the other day :cool:

If you get over to the other side of town I would definitely recommend checking out Ales Unlimited too!  Good people there and great beer!

http://www.alesunlimited.com/

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 00:43:54 »
Thanks for the advice!

Jwaz: I've been told by two different people I should go to "The Trappist" in Oakland.  Worth the trip?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 00:47:53 by aggiejy »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 00:50:17 »
Thanks for the advice!

Jwaz: I've been told by two different people I should go to "The Trappist" in Oakland.  Worth the trip?

Most definitely, I have a friend that works at the second location up by the Berkeley border so if you want a hook up, hit me up! and the other (original) location  is a short walk from beer rev downtown :D

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 10:29:48 »

**** yes to this idea. I am so down as long as someone brings a 45g and 55g Realforce so i can figure out which one I want.

also beer.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 22:18:57 »
Some of you "local to me" guys:
Harrys Hofbrau in San Jose has "Pint Night" on Thursdayzzzzzzz. It's quite notable, I should post a pic of the craft beer menu board. Plus, for those of you with a gf, there is a hot tub/sauna place next door. LOL
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:22:13 »

**** yes to this idea. I am so down as long as someone brings a 45g and 55g Realforce so i can figure out which one I want.

also beer.

I'd be down for a beer meet, but I'm gonna vote for Falling Rock Taphouse (Denver) or Backcountry Pizza and Taphouse (Boulder).  They both have AMAZING draft selections, and Backcountry has a cellar full of bottles too, but it's kinda pricey. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:38:07 by WRXChris »

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:51:17 »
Oh man, I've heard of Falling Rock before. Still haven't given it a shot, so I'd be down for that. :D

meebcats - my bad music

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:39:31 »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 17:07:57 »
Falling rock is really good.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:17:14 »
I am curious if anyone in the seattle area would like to have a local geekhack pub night if it was organized?
I think it would be pretty cool to meetup and drink a few beers with some geekhackers.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:20:12 »
I am curious if anyone in the seattle area would like to have a local geekhack pub night if it was organized?
I think it would be pretty cool to meetup and drink a few beers with some geekhackers.

If I was still up there I would.  I miss the IPAs I could get up there.

If you want a place with good beer that isn't Brouwer's, I highly recommend The Pine Box, Stumbling Monk, and Hopvine.  Hopvine has a good happy hour with really good food.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:45:10 »

If I was still up there I would.  I miss the IPAs I could get up there.

If you want a place with good beer that isn't Brouwer's, I highly recommend The Pine Box, Stumbling Monk, and Hopvine.  Hopvine has a good happy hour with really good food.

Stumbling Monk was one of my favorites and I left before Pinebox opened which is kind of a bummer because I've heard it's awesome.
Some ex employees of Brouwers are opening up a new bottleshop/ taproom on Union st towards the CD that is going to have a TON of taps, hopefully before I visit later this summer 8)

Can't forget Super Del Mart either, great bottles and growler fills in a very unsuspecting mini-mart location in West Seattle.

Nub there are crazy IPAs in socal, better than the PNW :p

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:49:18 »
I've been looking, but still haven't found any as awesome.  If you'd point me the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 14:07:42 »
I've been looking, but still haven't found any as awesome.  If you'd point me the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

You'll see a fair amount of stuff on these lists from down there.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/116
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/140

Some of my personal favorites from that area are:
Port Brewing's Mongo/ Wipeout/ Anniversary/ Etc
Alpine Brew Co's ANYTHING (they use a lot of Nelson hops which are my favorite)
Ballist Point's Sculpin IPA
Alesmith's IPA
and of course Pliny which you should be able to find on tap and in bottles.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:17:27 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****ing_Hell

:))

Edit: Rofl, it seems like because the swear filter also affects image URLs the pic isn't showing :D

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:22:08 by Bullveyr »
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:48:00 »
This beer tastes like whiskey. That's weird.

Offline rao2100

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 22:18:28 »
My top 3 right now:

1) Ace Of Spades - Hopworks Urban Brewery (Usa) - American Double / Imperial IPA

2) Lagunitas IPA - Lagunitas Brewing Company (Usa) - American IPA

3) Kooinda Black IPA - Kooinda Boutique Brewery (Aus) - American Black Ale

Beer I was having last week :)

Hop Devil Ale - Victory Brewing Company - American IPA

| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline iri

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:01:49 »
1)

2)

3) 31628-2
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Excaliborg

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:59:22 »

Random stuff I have right now. I have been picking up beers at random since turning 21 a bit over a week ago.
The only one in the picture that I have had before is the Delirium nocturnum which was delicious.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:26:58 »
I think I found my new favorite thread!!!

My new favorite is Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (had to copy/paste that one).
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/142/1946

It has a wonderful taste of citrus with a hint of clove. Goes perfect with some Rum tobacco!  :p

Offline rao2100

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 06:05:18 »
One of my favorites :-)

| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 05:58:09 »
Had a Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout, Brewfist Burocracy IPA and a good old Spitefire last night.
Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.