Author Topic: Greetings.  (Read 2860 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Greetings.
« on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:25:04 »
New member here, discovered the board earlier this week.  A different message board I frequent had a thread about 'Post your mechanical keyboard', which reminded me I had not had a decent keyboard since I was a kid; that of course being the age old Model M.

After much reading around the internet, I decided to take the mechanical keyboard plunge with a Unicomp 101 key board.  Once it arrives and I get the keys swapped to my liking, will post some pics.

I do agree with the sentiment that keyboards will consume my time and money; I already find myself wanting to find a way to build a key sampler 'board', that would have all the variants of mechanical keys available to test type with - although the typing aspect would be more difficult than just the feel and audible aspects.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Greetings.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:35:02 »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:39:07 »
Welcome to GH.

If you want the typing feel tester you can attempt to do a few things:

1. Go to local PC/electronics stores and try out their mech offerings.
2. Try to attend one of the local meetups that GH members have (should you be lucky enough to be in the areas)
3. Buy and sell. Buy one board, try the switches, and sell on ebay and marketplace. (This is the path most people on this board have taken)

Best of luck, and have fun!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 15:39:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 16:03:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another buckling spring enthusiast - you will find some like-minded members on this board :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:08:17 »
Wow, GH meets huh?  I've done so for range shoots, never would've thought there'd be meets for keyboards. Any ideas what areas they have been in?

Yes, learned to type on buckling springs, it's high time I get back to typing on one...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 18:14:47 »
Have a look in the Off Topic section - there are a few being arranged now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 19:29:37 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 20:41:08 »
There are a few number pad "samplers" floating around with all the different Cherry switch types.

Unfortunately, each "tour" lasts for months and you have to get on a waiting list.

From the time I signed up, it was over a half a year before I got it in my hands (for <48 hours, because I am polite) but it was worth the wait.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 22:59:25 »
Where in TX are you?  There may be a fry's close and they have all the switches on various keyboards available to try, but if you're the buckling spring type, a good start would be to try Blues or build something with greens. 

Or buy a Race with milks

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 00:03:42 »
Welcome to GH!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 11:01:25 »
Yes - have a Fry's nearby; I'm in DFW.

As far as blue / green - understand those for Cherry variants.

But - in general, is there an "index" for common keyboard terminology somewhere? KBT, ABS, PBT, etc.  Have been looking for a sticky thread somewhere with all of these defined with no luck.

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 11:37:52 »
Warm welcome! Dont be a stranger! =)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 11:58:54 »
Nice, another DFWer, I think I'd misunderstood and thought you were looking for more keyboards, not just caps.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the easiest/onliest way to get caps for a BS is through unicomp.

ABS/PBT are types of material used to create keycaps.

KBT are brands a company Vortex uses for their 60/75% keyboards

TK - Tenkey

TKL - Tenkeyless

And it's still early so I can't think of others to add at this moment.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:06:30 »
Well - meant a sampler keyboard, that had maybe 6 keys on it of each type, that one could test out.  But - it sounds like there are number pad samplers already - not suprising to me that they would have a long wait time.

As far as keycaps for my first mechanical - yes they will all be from Unicomp, but pretty standard to start with.  Will have to see about getting some custom ones later maybe.  Other sources for BS keycaps, I beleive I have read that SP can make them, as well as Fentek.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 06:07:44 »
Welcome to GeekHack.

Also Brown is the masterrace = )
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 12:33:05 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches