Author Topic: Hello from Seattle!  (Read 1588 times)

Offline aanoi

• Drew Rios
Hello from Seattle!
« on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:02:52 »
Hey guys!

I'm a designer here in Seattle at a certain software company and I'm relatively new to the deeper world of mechanical keyboards, but it's something that i've fallen deeply in love with :) I'm in pursuit of a SA keycap set from Signature Plastics as i have an obsession with typography and love the type on their cap sets! As a designer myself, i'm inspired by the creators of sets on this forum and actually hope i can share some designs myself with you all. I have a few i've been sitting on and it would be a dream to get a set produce with others :)

I'm sadly late to the game on many many many many beautiful SA cap sets and desperately looking for a set i can get my hands on. I feel that i'm quickly running out of options as it seems to be hard to get your hands on any set :( If anyone has any advice or info on how i can buy a set, i would appreciate it more than you can know.

Thanks for having me!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Hello from Seattle!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 December 2015, 23:52:56 »
SEAHAWKS SUCK.

- mad 49er fan.

also welcome!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 02:50:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

SA keycap sets are great, as long as you have heavier switches.  There's a lot of plastic in the keycaps, and many say they are too heavy for lighter switches.

To find a set, have a look at group buys for any running GBs, or interest checks for upcoming GBs.  Other than that keep an eye on classifieds as they do turn up for sale from time to time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aanoi

• Drew Rios
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 02:11:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

SA keycap sets are great, as long as you have heavier switches.  There's a lot of plastic in the keycaps, and many say they are too heavy for lighter switches.

To find a set, have a look at group buys for any running GBs, or interest checks for upcoming GBs.  Other than that keep an eye on classifieds as they do turn up for sale from time to time.

Oh wow thanks! I really appreciate the advice :) I'm going to be all over that, hopefully one goes up for sale!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 04:05:19 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Oh wow thanks! I really appreciate the advice :) I'm going to be all over that, hopefully one goes up for sale!

Another thought - there's uniform profile SA, where all the keycaps are the same height making the typing surface essentially flat (like a laptop keyboard), and sculpted where each row is a different height, and probably what you're used to on a conventional keyboard.  You might find you prefer one over the other.

I love my Nuclear Data Green, which is uniform profile, but I'm still undecided about Hack'd by Geeks, which is scuplted.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 04:20:47 »
SEAHAWKS SUCK.

- mad 49er fan.

also welcome!

Pete Carroll sucks.

I like Macklemore.

This is all I know of Seattle.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.