Author Topic: GMK on Cherry MX Clears  (Read 5455 times)

Offline WheresTheSNES

GMK on Cherry MX Clears
« on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 11:32:43 »
Is it safe to put GMK keycaps on Cherry MX Clear switches without stretching the keycaps?

I know they fit tighter, but do they damage caps similar to old box switches?

I have a Vortex Core w/ Clears I was planning to kit out with a Space Cadet set.

Thanks

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: GMK on Cherry MX Clears
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 12:06:01 »
Is it safe to put GMK keycaps on Cherry MX Clear switches without stretching the keycaps?

I know they fit tighter, but do they damage caps similar to old box switches?

I have a Vortex Core w/ Clears I was planning to kit out with a Space Cadet set.

Thanks

seemed fine on all the boards i've done it on
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:35:17 »
Great.  Hopefully you're right, because I did it anyway!  Cherry profile isn't great on a 40% with no incline, but, whatever.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 17:58:40 »
I do not hear too many horror stories with Clears... box switches are a different story

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 20:54:51 »
I do not hear too many horror stories with Clears... box switches are a different story

DSA with clears i know has some problems, but my GMK soware set is fine and it's been on clears for a year
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 01:17:49 »
I think the issue with clears is not destroying the cap but the cap destroying the snug switch.
On my clear board trying to take off one of those NPKC caps tore the capslock switch out of its housing.  Made sure to use spudgers while removing from then on, but now I just don't swap caps on it.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:37:02 »
Yup, you'll be fine :thumb:

Most of my boards have MX Clears and GMK caps with zero issues.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 04:26:49 »
No problems for sure!

GMK caps made with the same tooling as the old OG Cherry keycaps, they sholud be fine. No problems with my MX Clears and old OG Cherry doubleshots on my G80-9009. No signs of damage on the stems either. They're 23 years old now.

Offline Benitone

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 16:55:21 »

DSA with clears i know has some problems, but my GMK soware set is fine and it's been on clears for a year

DSA have been specifically designed to be super tight on clears (as per client requests).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 18:43:52 »
Only thing to watch out for is pulling caps. Sometimes you’ll pull the top of the switch off with the cap on clears. It’s fine if you have a plate with switch opening cutouts or a hotswap board.  If not, you may have to desolder to get it back together