Author Topic: the filco mini has arrived....  (Read 2265 times)

Offline bigpook

the filco mini has arrived....
« on: Wed, 12 November 2008, 17:17:37 »
way cool, I actually got it on my birthday.  : ) I will take some pictures and post them. Its nice and small but not so clicky and the browns do feel different in comparison to the blues. It kind of reminds me of the HHKB.

I am trying to figure out xmodmap, I want to combine the left windows key with another key,  in essence to mimic the HHKB. Any linux gurus's here can help me out with that I would be appreciative.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 November 2008, 17:52:04 »
xmodmap only effects x, but if you mod your keymap and load it at boot, then you'll have your settings even in the console
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 November 2008, 17:57:02 »
How much does this cost?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 November 2008, 18:12:55 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;10898
xmodmap only effects x, but if you mod your keymap and load it at boot, then you'll have your settings even in the console

right, I could go either way with that. I can remap an individual key, but can't figure out how to map multiple keys.
For instance, the left windows key + p = page up
Any ideas on that?

google is not being friendly

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 November 2008, 18:57:44 »
you need to manually open the file for the keymap that you use and edit it. For the change to be permanent you have to edit the one that you actually use; however, for testing you will copy the one that you use to another file name and test it out so if anything gets ****ed you only have to reboot.  

I used to use xmodmap, but I got so used to having my caps mapped to an additional control that whenever I was in the console or logged in remotely through ssh I constantly would hit my non-existent modifier.

all the system keymaps are in /usr/share/keymaps/

if you use qwerty it will probably be /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz

I currently use dvorak, but for simplicity's sake we'll stick with qwerty...

make a copy of your keymap. For example,

cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/
cp us.kmap.gz testing.kmap.gz

Now you can edit your keymap file. Please note the gz extension is a gzipped archive. Some editors can read this extension. notably EMACS, but with most you will have to unzip the archive, edit it, and the rezip it.  It's easiest to just use emacs here because you will probably have to fiddle with the results a bit.

Once you have edited the file, save it.

To test out the new keymap run

loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/testing.kmap.gz

once you get it how you like, then set it as your defaust keymap

PS

there are many specialized layouts included that have multiple keys mapped to a single keycode, brovse through some of them, the syntax is quite intuitive...
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 01:44:06 »
or you can try with xkeycaps - a brutal x application, i didn't have much luck with it trying to simulate hhkb layout on a macally 96, but i think that I was this close :)  you can easily swap keys, change keysyms (attach whatever to any of the modifiers + key) and write the output to .Xmodmap which can be loaded automatically... the problem was that not all of the keysyms were those I set, and after every xmodmap my macally's arrow keys were refusing to work, so finally I gave up...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 November 2008, 08:15:06 »
I found xkeycaps a few days ago, didn't like it, at all. I am still doing some reading. I know it can be done but am having a heck of a time finding the information. Right now I am gleaning 3 different sites to do this. I will figure it out and make a cheat sheet.
Funny thing is that I don't know how long I will use the Filco before/if I go back to the HHKB. All this effort will be for naught, maybe.