Author Topic: TLDR: use Windows 98, the Cult of (Formerly the microsoft windows megathread)  (Read 70388 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 09:38:58 »
Ya know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if MS Windows was actually Trumps GH account.

i'd be overjoyed

That would be UGE
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:11:00 »
BTW, in case you ever wondered what that sound was...

(Attachment Link)

That's right. It's chest-beating.

YOU'RE A  RACIST!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Windows 98
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:13:37 »
INDEED! VERY VERY INTERESTING.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:48:33 »
I believe this client will even work on Windows 95, and I know there is a standalone DOS-based RDP client, but I haven't tried it.  I'd love to see an IBM XT or AT with a Windows 7/10 desktop--that would freak people out!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
microsoft windows megathread
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:59:20 »
I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS APPALLINGLY  HORRIFIC SIMPLE MACHINES FORUM SOFTWARE. WHEN I SELECT "COMIC SANS MS" FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU IN THE POST EDITOR, IT COMES OUT AS A SERIF FONT LIKE THIS.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE OUTRAGE. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #255 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 16:01:48 »
DONALD TRUMP HAS NOW DECLARED THAT THE UNITED STATES WILL MOVE HER ISRAELI EMBASSY TO JERUSALEM. THIS IS A LONG OVERDUE MOVE. GOOD JOB TRUMP!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
it works
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 16:03:38 »
I believe this client will even work on Windows 95, and I know there is a standalone DOS-based RDP client, but I haven't tried it.  I'd love to see an IBM XT or AT with a Windows 7/10 desktop--that would freak people out!

I should try that some time. I've got some old 486 laptops hanging around that could probably work well as remote desktop terminals. Nothing like seeing Windows 10 on a 7" screen from a "beige brick" laptop!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Maybe try updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Maybe try updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer.

IE is dead.  Long live Edge.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Anyway it looks like Comic Sans to me.

Perhaps a fault with your operating system not rendering the text correctly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hydrochloride

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 04:10:17 »
DONALD TRUMP HAS NOW DECLARED THAT THE UNITED STATES WILL MOVE HER ISRAELI EMBASSY TO JERUSALEM. THIS IS A LONG OVERDUE MOVE. GOOD JOB TRUMP!
I guess the last intifada was reason enough. I guess another intifada is coming soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: HILLARY FOR PRISON
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 18:42:32 »
183847-0

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:13:28 »
That's exactly what I plan to do with an older thinkpad with the lovely keyboard it has.  It's a 486 and has enough ram to run win95.  Just gotta back up the stock configuration and install the rdp client and then rdp into my windows 7 machine, haha.  LOVELY!

I'm actually typing this from a 98se machine that's rdp'd into a windows 7 client that's rdp'd into an xp machine.  I think I've got every generation covered in this one post.  :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:18:50 »
That's exactly what I plan to do with an older thinkpad with the lovely keyboard it has.  It's a 486 and has enough ram to run win95.  Just gotta back up the stock configuration and install the rdp client and then rdp into my windows 7 machine, haha.  LOVELY!

I'm actually typing this from a 98se machine that's rdp'd into a windows 7 client that's rdp'd into an xp machine.  I think I've got every generation covered in this one post.  :eek:

Stop trying to break the universe..  jesus, we gotta live here..

Offline Altis

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:34:21 »
Well slap me thrice and hand me to my momma... it's microsoft windows!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:41:52 »
Well slap me thrice and hand me to my momma... it's microsoft windows!

He never left..  he's got a billion accounts.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 13:35:58 »
I guess the last intifada was reason enough. I guess another intifada is coming soon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. YOU NEED TO GET WINDOWS 98 AND DO SOME MORE RESEARCH.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #268 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 13:39:37 »

Offline Altis

« Reply #269 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 16:45:48 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Best wallpaper ever created:

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #270 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:44:05 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

THAT IS AN AMAZING WORK OF ART. PUT THAT IN A MODERN ART GALLERY AND SOMEBODY WILL PAY $50 MILLION FOR THIS MICROSOFT-INSPIRED MASTERPIECE.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Geekhack Logo
« Reply #271 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:49:52 »
I really think it's time to put this logo on the site. The current one is so boring.

184047-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #272 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:09:13 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

THAT IS AN AMAZING WORK OF ART. PUT THAT IN A MODERN ART GALLERY AND SOMEBODY WILL PAY $50 MILLION FOR THIS MICROSOFT-INSPIRED MASTERPIECE.

need a 4k version.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #273 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 18:10:54 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

need a 4k version.

WHO NEEDS 4K WHEN THERE'S VGA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #274 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:17:05 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

need a 4k version.

WHO NEEDS 4K WHEN THERE'S VGA?

ADVERTISEMENT
(Attachment Link)
Best.  Rhyme.  Ever.  :cool:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #275 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:50:30 »
So earlier today I was working on some older IBM servers that we had that I need to repurpose for current uses as well as archive the current data.  They were used as hotel property management system servers.  I thought because of their era, they would have been running w2k, but nope--windows 98.  And it flies!  On an old p4 1.8Ghz with 128mb of ram it screams like a windows 7 machine on an i7 with 16gb of ram.  It's amazing how much can still be done with w98 outside of Internet connectivity.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #276 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 09:35:04 »
So earlier today I was working on some older IBM servers that we had that I need to repurpose for current uses as well as archive the current data.  They were used as hotel property management system servers.  I thought because of their era, they would have been running w2k, but nope--windows 98.  And it flies!  On an old p4 1.8Ghz with 128mb of ram it screams like a windows 7 machine on an i7 with 16gb of ram.  It's amazing how much can still be done with w98 outside of Internet connectivity.

The applications are DESIGNED for that hardware, so there's alot less bloat..

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #277 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 12:18:36 »
SOFTWARE WITH LESS BLOATWARE IS SUPERIOR. IT'S HARD TO BEAT WINDOWS 9X OR 2000 ON A PENTIUM 4. OFFICE '97 WILL START IN LESS THAN A SECOND. BEST SOFTWARE EVER MADE!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
DO YOU LIKE SNOW?
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 12:26:43 »
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT SNOW? DO YOU LIKE IT OR HATE IT? HOW DO YOU LIKE DRIVING IN THE SNOW? DO YOU THINK PEOPLE AROUND YOU ARE GOOD AT DRIVING IN THE SNOW? DO YOU WISH IT WOULD SNOW MORE? DO YOU LIKE TO SKI?

POST YOUR THOUGHTS HERE.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: DO YOU LIKE SNOW?
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:06:46 »
I find there to be a direct correlation between my age increasing and my dislike for snow increasing.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:09:30 »
It's pretty, but extremely impractical.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #281 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 19:56:26 »
SOFTWARE WITH LESS BLOATWARE IS SUPERIOR. IT'S HARD TO BEAT WINDOWS 9X OR 2000 ON A PENTIUM 4. OFFICE '97 WILL START IN LESS THAN A SECOND. BEST SOFTWARE EVER MADE!

Recent versions of Office certainly have gone downhill.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #282 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 23:55:33 »
it's annoying and makes me fall over
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:04:40 »
Snow is pretty, but I hate getting my car stuck in poorly plowed parking lots. Also hate not being able to look around street corners and having to pull out blind
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 00:19:10 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Wirakocha

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:30:32 »
omg I hate snow so much.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:34:12 »
It's alright, it only happens once in a century and lasts all but 2 hours before it melts, not very inconvenient.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:54:08 »
DOES ANYBODY HERE LIKE TO USE COMPUTERS IN THE SNOW?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:57:49 »

ABSOLUTELY! THE NEW MICROSOFT WORD TAKES UP SO MUCH MORE SYSTEM RESOURCES THAN WORD 97. AND WHAT MORE DOES  IT DO BESIDES SAVING IN THE .DOCX FORMAT? IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF CRAP.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 12:13:57 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 13:51:14 »
NICEPICTURE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #290 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 14:12:21 »
I live in the North where the days are short and dark in the winter and where the days are long and bright in the summer.
A cloudy day in December can be darker at noon than at 2 am in the middle of summer... At noon, the sunlight is not coming from above - it is literally horizontal.

Having white snow on the ground, on trees and on roof tops makes the day brighter. It is important for the well-being.

Road slush, with soot from car exhaust and sand is grey. I hate that.
Get a proper public transport system in your city so you don't have to drive!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 14:19:47 »
I live in the North where the days are short and dark in the winter and where the days are long and bright in the summer.
A cloudy day in December can be darker at noon than at 2 am in the middle of summer... At noon, the sunlight is not coming from above - it is literally horizontal.

Having white snow on the ground, on trees and on roof tops makes the day brighter. It is important for the well-being.

Public transportation is disgusting..

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 14:24:25 »

I AGREE! EVERY PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM I EVER RODE ON WAS FULL OF STINKY WEIRDOS. I'D RATHER DRIVE MY CAR WHERE AND WHEN I WANT IN THE SNOW.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #293 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 17:05:47 »
I wrote "proper public transport system" !

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #294 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 17:41:31 »

See this is how it begins...TP went Vegan and now he's too good for public transportation. The Popeye's slingin', Ramen eating TP would hop on a bus with his drunk friends and have a blast.

For shame TP, for shame.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #295 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 19:46:24 »

ABSOLUTELY! THE NEW MICROSOFT WORD TAKES UP SO MUCH MORE SYSTEM RESOURCES THAN WORD 97. AND WHAT MORE DOES  IT DO BESIDES SAVING IN THE .DOCX FORMAT? IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF CRAP.

I peaked out at Office 2000, although I'm still not convinced about that ribbon thing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:15:22 »

As long as we have social inequality, we will have riff-raffs. And as Long as we have riff-raffs, public transportation is just plain dangerous and undesirable.

Offline Altis

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 02:05:08 »

It's funny you mention that.

I've been doing a lot of work in MS WordPad. I'll be honest, it actually works beautifully for a lot of what I need to do, which is just a text editor with a touch of formatting and the odd photo included.

It's very fast and doesn't endlessly fight me to format things how it wants, it just lets me do it. The files are small and are easy for anyone to open and work with, especially if they're on Windows.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #298 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 05:23:09 »

As long as we have social inequality, we will have riff-raffs. And as Long as we have riff-raffs, public transportation is just plain dangerous and undesirable.

So the best is to always live walled instead of respecting fellow human beings?
I ride public transport every day, goes straight through some of the worst neighborhoods of my country, people get in the bus to go to work just like me.
Why would I ever be in more danger in a public transport than at home or in the street?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 06:09:33 »
DID ANYBODY GET ANY SNOW TODAY?