Author Topic: Bed split keyboard ergonomics  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Squarism

Bed split keyboard ergonomics
« on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 22:43:58 »
Like many others I sit at the office all day, In my mid 40ies I feel my ass can't do more than 8h office sitting. So I'm planning on creating a viable bed working environment. It's harder than I thought though and will probebly involve some type of special tenting/mounts. Planned on using an ergodox or soon a dactyl manuform. I wonder if anyone else have gone down this route or just have had the same urge?

Basically I want to keep the both halves near the outsides of my hips with a near vertical tilt. I also understood I need them raised relative bed surface as arms need to be slightly bent.

To find the right angles and coordinates I'd need to find a way of rapid protyping. My first idea was to use some type of clay/play dough. But I imagine I'd need litres of it.

The final solution would ideally need to have combined armrests attached to the keyboard mounts.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Re: Bed split keyboard ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 06:21:01 »
People have done this with the Keyboardio Model01 and gorilla pods.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 11:38:12 »
Cutting, shaping and gluing "stiff" foam rubber may be faster and cheaper than clay and accurate enough at least for the first few iterations.
Good luck.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 22:44:55 »
Well you can sit up in bed and do this.

But unfortunately it's impossible to do computer stuff with your head in a pillow laying flat or near flat.

The problem is Cranial pressure.

When you're sleeping, your blood pressure drops enough such that you don't get a headache.

However, if you lay flat in bed, while awake for extended periods, you WILL get a headache, because the wakeful blood pressure ontop of the pillow pressure on your neck (compressing arteries) is overloading for the brain.

How do I know,  I've tried it..

At the end of the day, Couchputering is much more practical..

Offline Squarism

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 02:10:05 »
Well you can sit up in bed and do this.

But unfortunately it's impossible to do computer stuff with your head in a pillow laying flat or near flat.

The problem is Cranial pressure.

When you're sleeping, your blood pressure drops enough such that you don't get a headache.

However, if you lay flat in bed, while awake for extended periods, you WILL get a headache, because the wakeful blood pressure ontop of the pillow pressure on your neck (compressing arteries) is overloading for the brain.

How do I know,  I've tried it..

At the end of the day, Couchputering is much more practical..

Ive spent 1000s of hours programming in bed with a laptop on my hip. Never felt that. Maybe tis an individual tjing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 10:05:25 »

Ive spent 1000s of hours programming in bed with a laptop on my hip. Never felt that. Maybe tis an individual tjing.

I'm talking about laying flat,  if you're just sitting in bed, it works fine, just as well as sitting anywhere else.

Offline Squarism

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 22:33:31 »

I'm talking about laying flat,  if you're just sitting in bed, it works fine, just as well as sitting anywhere else.

Thats what I meant too. No sittning, 100% horizontal.

Offline BundleOfJoysticks

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 01:49:14 »
Kinesis used to make something that fits your requirements re. hands wide apart and mounting.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Kinesis_Evolution

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 04:04:44 »

Thats what I meant too. No sittning, 100% horizontal.

are you facing up or the side ?