Author Topic: was it a mistake to buy a german layout keyboard ?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Calcifar

was it a mistake to buy a german layout keyboard ?
« on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:56:48 »
I actually did not realize the differences in the enter- keys and shift- keys between german/uk layouts and the us- layout.

I am wanting to change the keycaps on this new majestouch 2 but it seems all the sellers ive found here offer us- layouts only ?

Should I return this board for a Us- layout version ?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: was it a mistake to buy a german layout keyboard ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:02:52 »
What board did you buy for keycap donor? I use DE/RU set on ANSI board, just need to get the correct size enter, left shift and \| key. It look like this:

It's not really a big problem to get a few more key.

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:08:25 »
I was interested in a group buy offered by feng and also checked out imsto's store. Both of these seem to offer us- layouts only.

Im wondering where I then would find replacements for the shift and enter keys, seems like an extra headache :-/

QWER keyboards dont even offer modifier keys on top of that.

I suppose I could just cannibalize some old german cherry board of ebay ? Maybe being german is an advantage here? I really have no clue.

I gotta make up mym ind quickly as that great group buy runs out soon, here a link :

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37999.0

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:14:58 »
I see, I misundersand. You bought a new German language layout keyboard and was wondering if it was a mistake... Yes and no. It will be harder for you to get match keys if you want to buy sets from Asia source as they generally don't offer ISO. On the other hand being in Germany you have a plentiful supply of cheap Cherry G80 with doubleshots or even dyesub on occasion.

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:20:55 »
thanks iysol.

Ill sleep over this but I think I might return this board and get a us- layout in favor of group buys and whatnot.

Im not really into scouring ebay also im sitting in the uk even tho im german.

have a good night!