Author Topic: [GB] DCS Solarized Dark - Shipping Now!  (Read 69440 times)

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
[GB] DCS Solarized Dark - Shipping Now!
« on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 20:00:14 »
DCS Solarized Dark

As someone who was a programmer for many years the IDE theme Solarized Dark has always been a favorite of mine and I am also a big fan of the feel and sound of DCS profile, so I set out to combine these two into the keyset DCS Solarized Dark.  While I know that there have been Solarized Dark themed keysets in other profiles (GMK, XA, DSS) previously, I have felt that none of them quite captured the IDE themes spirit completely for me.

The Backstory
Solarized Dark is an IDE theme variant of Solarized both created by Ethan Schoonover originally for VIM.  It has been ported to many IDE's over the years and features a teal base with grey text and a multitude of colors for syntax highlighting.  I really wanted to create a set that when I looked down at my keyboard, made me think immediately of the IDE theme. The biggest question I had was do I use custom colors or stock colors.  Now SP has a wide range of custom colors, that can get you very far, but could it get me far enough?  After sitting down, comparing the IDE to the SP sample chips, tweaking, and compiling the options, and talking to Ethan about what he thought of the colors, tweaking some more, getting more feedback, I feel that using stock colors would give a pretty fair representation of the IDE theme, while also creating the parameters of the project as "Solarized Dark in DCS profile using the SP Stock Colors as the Color Palette"

To find out more about the solarized IDE theme and the concept behind it please visit this link.

Group Buy Date: 11/11 to 12/12

Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Material: ABS
Profile: DCS

Estimated Shipping Date: Q2 2022

Early Bird Bonus:
At ThocKeys (and some of the other vendors), we will be offering a special early bird bonus.  Anyone who buys the base kit between November 11th and November 14th will get the VIM kit for free!  I feel VIM is a very important part of the identity of Solarized (Dark) since that is where it was born, so to celebrate this, and because 11/11 is my birthday, I figured I would give a gift to everyone who supports this set early.

Confirmed vendors taking part: ThocKeys(Nov 11 - Nov 14), Hand Engineering (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Rectangles (Nov 11 - Nov 14), BaseKeys (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Rebult (Nov 11 - Nov 14), AlphaKeys.ca (Nov 11 - Nov 14), Keygem (Nov 11 - Nov 14) please check with your regional vendor to see if they are taking part.

Kitting:
:Base Kit

:Whitespace (Spacebars)

:Relegendables

:VIM Arrows

:Monocolor Mods

:"Classic" Accents

:Kingsize Spacebar

:Ortho + Expanded40s

:International

Additional Items:
SolDark Tactile Switch Manufactured by Gateron

Glamour Shot
Force Graph

Force Graph Comparison

Typing Test by Katanakaji

Keybee Yin Yang Metal Keycap

Renders(by Pwade):
Iron 165 by Smith + Rune

Neue by Hand Engineering

W1-AT by Geon Works - Shown With 10u Space Bar and Relegendables

HBCP by Hiney - Shown with Accent Kit and Relegendables

Colors:
All Stock SP Colors(no color matching required):
BGK
BFN
GKH
BGM
BEY
RA
YG
OAV
RDX
VAV
REK
BBQ

Vendors:
US: ThocKeys.com - Live
UK: HandEngineering - Live
EU: Keygem - Live
CA: AlphaKeys - Live
OCE: SwitchKeys - Live
JP: Basekeys - Live
South America(Chile): Fancy Customs - Live
Mexico:Rheset.mx - Live
SEA(MY): Rebult Keyboards - Live
IN: Rectangles.store - Live

Other:
Thanks

First and foremost I wanted to say thank you first of all to Ethan Schoonover for creating the Solarized Dark theme and his feedback, time and support that he gave me on this endeavor.
Pwade, thank you for not killing me when I came to you asking you to match 11 colors for the renders and being patient with me as we tried to get them right.
Fooblitzky for the awesome DCS models that made these renders possible.
Lewis Flude for your support and enthusiasm when I shared this project as well as for the Neue model to render the set on.
The members(both current and former) of the Ratden discord for their support and energy while I threw various ideas at them.
James from AKB for doing absolutely nothing in regards to this project.
Thank you Capsy, for supporting the set and being a bro.
OCM, Langelandia, Urbantheiii, Jae, Quakemz, Noxygen and so many others, thanks for being positive people and for bending an ear when I want to discuss ideas or projects.
Thank you Dededecline and NoPunIn10Did for kitting assistance (especially 40s and International)
Many others that I am sure I have forgotten.

« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2022, 13:58:19 by Aiwanei »
ThocKeys.com

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] DCS Solarized Dark Live from 11/11 - 12/12 - Early Bird Bonus
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 06:03:59 »
approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Darth_munkee

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 06:32:17 »
Just scrolling through to look at the pics before reading anything I thought the force curve was a deskmat to go with the set. So if you need one, there you go.

Set looks great!

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 06:51:26 »
Just scrolling through to look at the pics before reading anything I thought the force curve was a deskmat to go with the set. So if you need one, there you go.

Set looks great!

Haha I had tried to make a VIM cheatsheet Deskmat, but it was overly complicated and busy that it just didn't look good sadly :(
ThocKeys.com

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 15:32:54 »
DCS renaissance too good. i will order as soon as it lets me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline justinhigley

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 17:42:23 »

Does this qualify as a soware under your keyset classification system?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 18:21:16 »

Does this qualify as a soware under your keyset classification system?

both solarized and solarized dark are sowares, yes
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 05:44:05 »
All vendors are now live! Thank you everyone for your support so far ❤️
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2021, 09:04:06 by Aiwanei »
ThocKeys.com

Offline white_rabbit

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 14:45:53 »
Been waiting for this to go live ;D

I'm in!

Offline tngpq

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 20:31:28 »
This is the first ever unlimited GB I joined on the first day. Thanks for the freebie!

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 01:16:55 »
wow i totally didn't read the free vim keys part!! that's super nice!!!
ordered from base keys!! they editted / added after i paid and ordered already! :)  :thumb:

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 02:16:01 »
Dropping the 1.5u R2 Delete, apparently because one guy "hates it" was not great, some of us do use that key, or are "forced to".
Deletions from IC to GB should always be highlighted. Yeah, I know the Mono Mods still has it.
Still a nice set though, GLWGB.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 November 2021, 02:27:05 by IBMweMissU »

Offline davewongillies

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 14:43:44 »
Love it, I'm all in. All we need now is a nice deskpad to complete things.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 17:23:47 »
Dropping the 1.5u R2 Delete, apparently because one guy "hates it" was not great, some of us do use that key, or are "forced to".
Deletions from IC to GB should always be highlighted. Yeah, I know the Mono Mods still has it.

I apologize this wasn't communicated clearly, I should have done a better job of doing so when the change was made.
ThocKeys.com

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 10:46:46 »

I apologize this wasn't communicated clearly, I should have done a better job of doing so when the change was made.

Thanks for answering, no worries. I'll still be putting this on my W1, with a 1.5u R2 Delete key  :)

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 11:49:02 »
Yes! Can't wait for this one Aiwanei

Offline Phractals

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 17:06:24 »
Beautiful set, I just spent way too much money on fancy plastic. Hoping this will do well!

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 19:29:53 »
10u spacebar, for me? Gee thanks
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 19:44:18 »
Hi all,
Apologies for the delays with this - We had a few team members in transit this week so are a little delayed on VIM stuff.

See below from team member CAZ

"We have had many enquiries regarding DCS Solarised Dark Early Bird Discount occuring at some international vendors. Due to this we have decided to offer it to you retroactively and with an extension.

From now until 12:00am AEDT on Wednesday the 17th the VIM kit will be automatically discounted at checkout if you also have a Base kit in your cart.

For those who have ordered already, we will be manually updating your orders so please be on the lookout for those being updated.

Apologies for any confusion."

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
Re: [GB] DCS Solarized Dark Live until 12/12 - Base Kit and Most Kits hit MOQ
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 04:55:50 »
I'm going to have the legendary Dvorcal put up a graph but I'm very happy to announce that in just a handful of days the Base kit, as well as VIM, Whitespace, Relegendables, Classic Accents, Ortho+40s and Kingsize bar kits all have hit MOQ and I'm confident that the rest of kits will get there.

I want to thank everyone who has supported the set so far by buying a set, or even just discussing the set and spreading the word. I especially want to thank all of the vendors for their support of this, without them this wouldn't be possible.
ThocKeys.com

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 12:03:31 »

Edit: No MOQ for switches
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 00:46:01 by dvorcol »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 18:28:56 »
10u spacebar, for me? Gee thanks

there is a 10u renaissance happening right now, in good news for you

Offline nick779

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 09:26:52 »
Watching, looks great.

Offline Phractals

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 13:52:17 »
I desperately need this in my life with International kit. Really hoping for that (and switches, which seems unlikely at this point) to hit MOQ! Prayge

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 13:57:11 »
I desperately need this in my life with International kit. Really hoping for that (and switches, which seems unlikely at this point) to hit MOQ! Prayge

My plan is to buy out the switches as long as it gets a bit closer to have in stock, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Phractals

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:50:18 »

My plan is to buy out the switches as long as it gets a bit closer to have in stock, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sounds good, International is more of my concern though  ;)

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 19:49:30 »

International will get made, I'll make sure if it even if I buy it out.

Also Katanakaji has done a typing test of SolDark Switches, I'm adding a link to the OP.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Phractals

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 19:59:14 »

International will get made, I'll make sure if it even if I buy it out.

Also Katanakaji has done a typing test of SolDark Switches, I'm adding a link to the OP.

Really good to hear and also nice to see a DCS set doing so well apparently!

Offline nick779

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 11:54:52 »
Is the SolDark comparable in feel to anything else? I love the color, but am very picky about what I use.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 13:38:32 »
Is the SolDark comparable in feel to anything else? I love the color, but am very picky about what I use.

it will feel the same as any other DCS ABS set, you can always buy one and try it if you're not sure. it is readily available on SP's website.

it's a much more effective test than any adjective or anecdote

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 06:10:09 »

If you mean the switches, they have the same stem as the Gateron Silver Blizzard, so long poll(so early bottom out), somewhat rounder bump that is around the same size as a T1 but less sharp with little to no pretravel. They also have a lighter spring weight than the silver Blizzards by about 10g, and since they are long springs they have a bit snappier return.

If you mean the keyset, then yeah what puddsy said.
ThocKeys.com

Offline nick779

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 06:46:24 »

If you mean the switches, they have the same stem as the Gateron Silver Blizzard, so long poll(so early bottom out), somewhat rounder bump that is around the same size as a T1 but less sharp with little to no pretravel. They also have a lighter spring weight than the silver Blizzards by about 10g, and since they are long springs they have a bit snappier return.

I meant the switch, but yeah that's all good to me. I typically run T1s and U4s with linear leaves, so the Soldark switches might be worth grabbing a set.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 08:57:38 »

I meant the switch, but yeah that's all good to me. I typically run T1s and U4s with linear leaves, so the Soldark switches might be worth grabbing a set.

oh lmao my fault, i famously post before reading what i'm replying to

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 14:11:37 »

The feel is potentially very good. Well-made DCS has a soft, mildly-velvety texture at first. It's slightly gripping, but mostly pretty smooth. (But not the kind of smooth that comes from shined, worn-in keycaps.)

The DCS Sleeper keycaps (I have the accents) felt pretty good, nicer than the worn-in DCS I have been using.

The only problem, for me, is that the materials may affect feel. I have a NIB Solarized Dark set, and I touched a keycap to test it yesterday, and it wasn't as velvety as GMK Honeywell. So materials may be a factor. Honeywell is made from stock GMK colours, and I doubt GMK Solarized Dark was. So DCS Solarized Dark may feel a little more plasticy than some other DCS sets, but that's speculation. If it's anything like DCS Sleeper, it will be good.

Anyway, good DCS feels and types similar to good GMK.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 00:43:54 »

Offline lazergician

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 20:18:13 »
Been rocking Solarized themes on my IDEs for ages now - can't wait to go full nerd with this. Very excited!

Offline Rafen

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 20:31:47 »
Man, I wish this was Cherry profile. Good luck with the GB though.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 12:20:34 »
Incase anyone wanted to get ThereminGoat's take on the Gateron SolDark Switches, he put out a scorecard today:

https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores/blob/master/Gateron%20SolDark.pdf
ThocKeys.com

Offline grezeh

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 18:48:42 »
That is one good international kit! I was about to finish with GBs, but this looks really good, especially in DCS   :-X

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 06 December 2021, 23:28:28 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 06:34:02 »
Placed my order. Excited about finally getting to try out DCS (and in a colorway I love, too)!

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 11:27:26 »
So hyped for this.  This set sold me on a w1-at it looks so good in the renders.

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 07:48:49 »
I want to thank everyone for the support the set has received so far, we are now in the last 48 hours (or less) and I wanted to say that between last few days of sales and extras that I'm confident all kits will be made.

Thank you again and I'm very excited for everyone to get this set in their hands.
ThocKeys.com

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 18:21:26 »

Offline lazergician

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 19:12:52 »
Congrats on the successful GB!

Offline Shorle

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 11:26:29 »
Gratulations to make it past MOQ. I really enjoy the look of this set!

This is rather fitting for the IC thread but since that thread is closed:
Does International only support half DE because of missing molds or is there another reason?
Are the Whitespace keys actually concave? Does the majority actually like their split spacebars concave? I can't fathom this for normal split spacebars, or is this set meant for ergodox layouts?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 11:38:43 »
Gratulations to make it past MOQ. I really enjoy the look of this set!

This is rather fitting for the IC thread but since that thread is closed:
Does International only support half DE because of missing molds or is there another reason?
Are the Whitespace keys actually concave? Does the majority actually like their split spacebars concave? I can't fathom this for normal split spacebars, or is this set meant for ergodox layouts?

SP doesn't have convex molds for split spacebars in DCS

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 09:22:28 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
Re: [GB] DCS Solarized Dark - Final Totals In
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 10:42:10 »
Thank you everyone for the support. We couldn't have done this without all of you and the wonderful international partners.

I've submitted the totals to SP, so we are just waiting for invoices.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
Re: [GB] DCS Solarized Dark - Final Totals In
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 09:57:57 »
Wanted to let everyone know that the Gateron SolDarks have started shipping to some of the vendors from Gateron so if you ordered just the switches you may see shipping for these soon.
ThocKeys.com