Author Topic: Coolermaster keycaps  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
Coolermaster keycaps
« on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:30:08 »
So, I just received my CM Storm QFR w/greens the other day and fell in love with it and how the switches feel. Today I recieved a full set of ccng and put them on only to realize it greatly altered the feel, at least to me. After checking it seems the stock CM's caps are much taller on like every row as opposed to the standard cherry tier-ing like my ccng set. It made the board feel...just not as satisfying. I'm assuming this is because the taller caps dont travel as far before bottoming? They just have a more solid "thick" feel to them, IMO. Is this a well known thing? That CMs caps alter the feel of boards? Also is there any way to get custom caps in this profile? Because I love the feel of them...

Offline Turbo Slaab

Re: Coolermaster keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:34:43 »
I believe they are just OEM profile. Any key manufacturer would have them.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 01:58:30 »

Oh okay, so what profile would the CCnG set/most other sets on GH?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:08:40 »
Cherry replica, (very close to Cherry) or as SP themselves call it "DCS profile"

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:11:20 »

Oh okay, so what profile would the CCnG set/most other sets on GH?

Also, do you know if the ragnarok keyset is OEM? I found a posting in the classifieds which seems to state it's OEM but I can't tell from the picture. I would assume they would be the same profile as whatever the CCNG is but its definitely not OEM. I also find it wierd that OEM is a general term to mean the size that's on my CM, I would think OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) would be a subjective term, i.e. CM's OEM caps would be different from say Filco's OEM caps.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:16:17 »
Well the OEM size is quite standardized, but I can see what you're saying about the term in general.

OEM as to say; 'stock' keycaps (produced by the OEM [as in KB maker]) are all the same, regardless of who the OEM is.

Now I am using the Ragnarok red on black ds set on my QFR, and just like 99% of other sets made by SP it is DCS or "cherry" profile.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:29:11 »
Well the OEM size is quite standardized, but I can see what you're saying about the term in general.

OEM as to say; 'stock' keycaps (produced by the OEM [as in KB maker]) are all the same, regardless of who the OEM is.

Now I am using the Ragnarok red on black ds set on my QFR, and just like 99% of other sets made by SP it is DCS or "cherry" profile.

Ahh, okay. One more question. Do you know of any notable sets that had runs in OEM profile that float around here on GH? If not, if theyre mostly all made by SP in SP profile, do you know of any notable sets maybe from other keyboards, maybe older keyboards or something, that have OEM profile and a cool color/theme? i.e. graphite, black on red, etc. I ask this because I'd love to have something cool like that red on black ragnarok on my QFR too, but after trying these SP CCNGs on here, I'm afraid they ruin my typing experience, at least on this board.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 02:34:03 »
Yeah, there's basically two standards, OEM and cherry. If it says OEM then it's OEM. As long as your entire set matches (AFAIK), you'll be Ok.
Looking for CC's!

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 04:22:11 »
Yeah, there's basically two standards, OEM and cherry. If it says OEM then it's OEM. As long as your entire set matches (AFAIK), you'll be Ok.

Three standards actually - OEM, SP, Cherry. SP and Cherry are not synonymous. Of course there is the large discrepancy between their bottom row keys, but the other rows differ slightly too. Also, Cherry have sharp corners at the base and are thicker (the latter is not relevant to profile, but it's an important difference).

If it was a full set produced for a Geekhack groupbuy (note: "produced" not "found"), then it was almost certainly made by SP and therefore SP profile.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 04:24:04 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline johnny*

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 07:38:46 »
Not trying to discount the effect of keycap profile here, but I've experienced a similar phenomenon when trying to replace the stock keycaps on my QFR blue board with other OEM profile caps.  For me at least, the mass, density and weight distribution of each set of keycaps has a profound effect on the typing experience with tactile/clicky switches like blues (and perhaps your greens). I too, love the typing experience with the stock QFR caps (the feedback/sound just feels 'right'), and just can't seem to replicate it w/ another set.  For now, I'm forced to keep the stock caps on all but modifier keys, as I'm using this board 8+ hours a day and I value function much higher than aesthetics.  I hope to eventually find some caps that replicate the stock QFR typing experience without being ugly as sin....
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 07:53:39 by johnny* »

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 07:51:40 »
Not trying to discount the effect of keycap profile here, but I've experienced a similar phenomenon when trying to replace the stock keycaps on my CFR blue board with other OEM profile caps.  For me at least, the mass, density and weight distribution of each set of keycaps has a profound effect on the typing experience with tactile/clicky switches like blues (and perhaps your greens). I too, love the typing experience with the stock CFR caps (the feedback/sound just feels 'right'), and just can't seem to replicate it w/ another set.  For now, I'm forced to keep the stock caps on all but modifier keys, as I'm using this board 8+ hours a day and I value function much higher than aesthetics.  I hope to eventually find some caps that replicate the stock QFR typing experience without being ugly as sin....

Hmm. I wonder what kind of caps they use. I'm sure one of the vendors here have made the same style at some point.
Looking for CC's!

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:07:00 »
OEM 12mm Profile FTW!  :cool:
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline ChocolateRain

• Hi
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 12:25:06 »
Hey fellow QFR owners, I was also looking for keycaps and saw this Ducky Blank PBT set:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=98

whats your opinion on these?? it even has a window in the CAPS Lock key!
DUCKY 1087 XM G80-8113 CM QFR

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:27:12 »
Hey fellow QFR owners, I was also looking for keycaps and saw this Ducky Blank PBT set:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=98

whats your opinion on these?? it even has a window in the CAPS Lock key!

I'm assuming these are OEM too right? If so, I might have to ninja out my green board!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:29:34 »
You can make a custom set over at WASDkeyboards. Those are OEM profile.

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:29:57 »
Not trying to discount the effect of keycap profile here, but I've experienced a similar phenomenon when trying to replace the stock keycaps on my QFR blue board with other OEM profile caps.  For me at least, the mass, density and weight distribution of each set of keycaps has a profound effect on the typing experience with tactile/clicky switches like blues (and perhaps your greens). I too, love the typing experience with the stock QFR caps (the feedback/sound just feels 'right'), and just can't seem to replicate it w/ another set.  For now, I'm forced to keep the stock caps on all but modifier keys, as I'm using this board 8+ hours a day and I value function much higher than aesthetics.  I hope to eventually find some caps that replicate the stock QFR typing experience without being ugly as sin....

I'm so glad someone thinks the same way I do! You obviously know what I'm talking about. It's funny, I usually like customizing and making everything I use 'different' from everyone else's, sometimes even to just be different (must be the inner hipster) but I have to sat the look and feel of the stock QFR caps are... exquisite!

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:30:40 »

No way! =]

That makes me excited

Offline Capitalistix

• Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:33:56 »
I looked on their website and on the first page is a picture saying "switch it up" and it has a profile view of the keys but they look tiered, is that the OEM profile? THey look similar to cherry profile, but maybe their both tiered the same way just OEM is thicker?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:34:11 »
Actually I quite like the lighter feel of SP profile keycaps over the stock QFR ones (with MX blacks).

Although I do have only red modifiers on there atm, the main keys are from a Link terminal keyboard, but anyway they are closer to SP profile than OEM.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:37:03 »

No way! =]

That makes me excited
http://imgur.com/a/5B4nO#0

Here is a set I made through them for a build I'm working on. Pretty easily and very customizable. You can even do something like create custom images for each cap, but that cost a bit more. Check it out.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:37:56 »
They are tiered like that. Higher up rows are higher in profile. This is so that the keys have a slope towards you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:38:27 »
^ That design looks a bit familiar ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ