Author Topic: Which 60%? HHKB Pro2 or other?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Which 60%? HHKB Pro2 or other?
« on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 05:15:17 »
I was playing with an idea of buying HHKB, but from what I've read, I would need to quickly upgrade it with HASU controller to be able to program the layout.

Should go with HHKB or other 60% boards?

How is it using 60% and other layouts, sizes - like one at work, then different one at home - do you quickly adjust to the layout, or should I better stick to one?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Which 60%? HHKB Pro2 or other?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 05:51:25 »
Switching between 60% and bigger boards is not a problem unless you use the number pad, Fx keys or arrows a lot as obviously they don't have dedicated keys.  Arrows plus Ctrl and/or Shift are even worse if you use them.

The biggest issue I found with switching from my ISO work board to a HHKB was enter/backspace - I quickly learned where backspace was and could hit it, but I still hit the same place for enter so it had to go.  Won't be a problem if you use ANSI already...

As to HHKB or other 60% you could buy a used HHKB and if it's not for you sell it on, should only cost you postage and there's no better way to know if you like it than trying it at home for as long as you want.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 06:44:57 »
I work on ISO at home and work, so enter night be a problem.
Same CTRL and SHIFT, I use DEL a lot... For me sounds like a lot of work to adjust. I normally use TKL, I got Varmilo once, where arrows cluster was move a bit to the left and my brain couldn't accept it :D
I use arrows a lot, on HHKB I believe you need to use Fn and then arrows? I wonder how this will work for me...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mike-y

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 11:40:41 »
If you use arrows, you can look into one of the 60% boards that support an arrow layout.  The right shift area is modified a bit to be able to fit the extra keys.  Look into boards like the DZ60 or GK64

Otherwise you might like a 65% board, which adds an extra row of keys on the right side.  That will get you a proper right shift key and your arrow cluster, as well as a few extra keys that you might like.  The Tada68 and any other 68 key board are 65%.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:45:31 »
The Pok3r has a trick where you can turn the bottom right keys into an arrow cluster with up/down/left/right when you need it.
186712-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 19:42:48 »
Another alternative would be a FC660C - it has an arrow cluster (plus insert and delete), but otherwise is 60% layout.  Thorpe too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 03:14:55 »
Edit: Dang. Replied in the wrong thread, other thread was similar.

Would say that if you need the arrow keys go with the Leopold like what rowdy said.
They both feel pretty similar. The HHKB a little more mushy with the full plastic construction.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 03:17:49 by obviouslygene »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 19:46:22 »

Would say that if you need the arrow keys go with the Leopold like what rowdy said.
They both feel pretty similar. The HHKB a little more mushy with the full plastic construction.

Mushy?

They are all rubber dome keyboards - they are all mushy :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 02:14:29 »

Mushy?

They are all rubber dome keyboards - they are all mushy :p

lol I wouldn't say that. the leopold and realforce have a firmer bottom out.
but I really like the HHKB pro2.

Offline sbstjn

• 68Keys.io
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 16:32:45 »
The Pok3r has a trick where you can turn the bottom right keys into an arrow cluster with up/down/left/right when you need it.
(Attachment Link)

The 60% keyboards by KBParadise have this feature as well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 16:44:52 »
if you need arrow keys buy a 75%

if not, HHKB is really good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 16:53:38 »
While I'm not super impressed by Topre (mainly due to having expectations really high since most people treated it like it was heavenly), I am quite enjoying the HHKB Pro 2. I use it with 1 3 5 DIP switches turned on and it's am pretty okay with the layout.

Getting used to Control being in the Caps Lock placement will need some getting used to but after two days of using it I now try to press Caps Lock for Control whenever using a different keyboard.

The only reason I would consider the Hasu controller is because the arrow keys placement is ****ing awful, imo. It would have made so much more sense in a standard upside down T cluster of PL;' or OKL; instead of the weird ass diamond cluster it actually uses.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 17:07:13 »
Arrow keys? Iso user? maybe you should consider a JP hhkb  :p

not sure if you can use a hasu in it I've never looked

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 04:44:37 »
I've seen JP version, but I'm not feeling that small spacebar... I think PRO2 version would be best.
It probably will be on my list in 2018:)

Another question: why there are different HHKB PRo2 keyboards - I noticed that they have different logos, ones are grey falt, ones are red gold etc
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 08:04:20 by phinix »

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:32:18 »
Red gold ones are stickers from a GB here in GH.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 23:01:42 »
I think arrow keys are a long-standing problem for 60% boards, although people have come up with a number of ways to try and solve it.  This was my attempt --> http://zobeid.zapto.org/misc/zo64.html

I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  I've been getting parts together for an improved version, and if all goes well (and the Banana Split 60 kit arrives when USPS tracking says it will!), I may start putting it together tomorrow.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 00:44:34 »
If you want arrow keys why not just get a 65% board...

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 11:44:17 »
If you want arrow keys why not just get a 65% board...

Less parts to choose from.
65% is my go-to, though.