Author Topic: Requesting Thoughts on MT3 Profile  (Read 25362 times)

Offline Kavik

Requesting Thoughts on MT3 Profile
« on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:04:07 »
Is MT3 profile different enough from SA to warrant spending money on the /dev/tty R2 drop?

From pictures, they seem slightly shorter than SA with deeper dishing on each key. These two things sound like good changes from SP SA to me, but I'm wondering if it's just a visual anomaly in pictures and, if not, if it's actually a noticeable difference in feel. Are they still as wobbly as SA? Does the PBT plastic and texture improve the feel as one would expect of PBT?

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline schoolbus

Re: Requesting Thoughts on MT3 Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:17:27 »
It's definitely different enough in comparison to SA. It cups your fingers like cereal bowls, and it's way more sculpted.

The only similarity is that they're both hi-profile.

The texture is also much more "gritty" in a good way.

YMMV, but if you like SA you should love this set.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 22:01:53 »
That sounds great. I have a Maxkey set and an SP set, and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed with SA because of the lack of dishing.

*Sigh* I guess I'll probably order the MT3 set. I wish the Cyrillic legends were available this round though.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 14:49:35 »
I love my MT3 keycap set.  It feels great, and the sculpted profile feels very natural.  I didn't think that most SA sets were fully sculpted.  Don't they tend to use the same profile on almost every row?  Hopefully they've fixed the alignments issues on MT3's round two, although they were nice enough to send me a new set to fix the issues with mine.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 15:50:13 »
SA has both sculpted an non-sculpted versions.  It's a bit confusing since they both get called 'SA'...

That said a lot of people (myself included) aren't really big fans for the sculpting in SA.  Not that we're against sculpting, just that the particular way it's done in SA is kind of weird.  I haven't tried MT3 yet but I'm very interested in it and ordered a set in this latest round.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:18:17 »
SA has both sculpted an non-sculpted versions.  It's a bit confusing since they both get called 'SA'...

That said a lot of people (myself included) aren't really big fans for the sculpting in SA.  Not that we're against sculpting, just that the particular way it's done in SA is kind of weird.  I haven't tried MT3 yet but I'm very interested in it and ordered a set in this latest round.

I went ahead and placed an order today myself. I figure if I like it enough, I can sell one of my SA sets to recoup the money. By next month, I'll have three SA sets that are fully sculpted, which is a bit excessive, especially since they are currently on zero of my keyboards.

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:25:08 »
SA's sculpting is symmetrical, which is to say row 2 and row 4 have the same exact angle, but in the opposite direction to each other, sort of mirroring one another. This, for example, is why NORDE kits don't need to supply a dedicated row2 "Z" key; you just use the base kit row4 "Z" key rotated around 180 degrees.

MT3 is based loosely on IBM's old beamspring keycaps, which means no two row profiles have exactly the same height or angle, something that Cherry/OEM-profile users are accustomed to. However, unlike sculptured cylindrical sets, MT3 offers a truly flat row profile, row5, for people like me who want their bottom row to be flat like SA row3.

The texture of MT3 is basically the same as DSA (PBT). It has the feel of soft pumice, which is very pleasant.

MT3 is also noticeably thicker than SA, which gives the keys a slightly deeper sound during use. I also find that the stems provide a tighter fit than SA, which means I get less wobble than SA, which is pretty nice.

The one major drawback to MT3 is the lack of support for double-shot (ABS) keycaps. However, I do believe they are working on rectifying that.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:02:10 »

Same here, I also thought the typing angled on sculpted SA is rather weird, I keep hitting edges when shifting rows.

On the other hand all row 3 (flat) SA are great.  I bought SA for its thick and heavy and deeper sounding keycaps.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 12:02:44 »
One thing I like about tall, sculptured keycaps like SA and MT3 is that I don't have to pull out the feet of my keyboard cases. The natural gentle angle of most cases, when added to the sculpturing of the keycap rows, is sufficient all by itself to provide a pleasant typing experience. That doesn't happen with sets like DSA and uniform row3 SA.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 22:08:26 »
One thing I like about tall, sculptured keycaps like SA and MT3 is that I don't have to pull out the feet of my keyboard cases. The natural gentle angle of most cases, when added to the sculpturing of the keycap rows, is sufficient all by itself to provide a pleasant typing experience. That doesn't happen with sets like DSA and uniform row3 SA.

Oh I definitely agree, except for me between DSA / SA being too flat vs sculpted SA being too aggressively angled I find I'd rather use the flat profile also visually look nicer.

I was debating to get MT3 but didn't want to risk getting it and end up not liking it since it's not exactly cheap.  I've ordered EDRUG MIX keycap instead since it's free shipping and only $40, and this seems to be between XDA and SA so maybe it will work for me.

If this works out then I'll probably try MT3 after.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 07:29:07 »
Overall I like the profile, but I would prefer less dish depth or a less sticky texture on the caps. Currently feels too sticky to type on for my tastes.

As aesthetics go they do look quite nice, hopefully the MD supplier gets the dye-sub right the next round. R1 was filled with misaligned legends and intl/dvorak kit legends were much thicker than the base alphas.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 22:36:45 »
The novelty set is not novel, if that can be improved it will be great.

Offline etatauri

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 01:01:25 »
I use SA at home and MT3 at work. The MT3 took some time to get used to due to its aggressive sculpting, but now that I'm used to it, I prefer it over SA. One thing I wish improved is the inconsistency in the dishes. The home row feels like the keys are giving each of your fingers hugs. But the upper rows are more like SA, which is flatter. I understand that maybe because you are stretching your fingers it needs to be flatter so I can't say if it'll be better with more sculpting or not. Obviously, Matt3o has gone through his own testing to arrive at that sculpting.

I also like the bottom row that angles inward. The keyboard just looks so much more cohesive with this inward angle making the whole keyboard swoop concave. I also don't find this a hindrance when pressing modifiers but I generally press them with my pinky knuckle instead of the fingertips. But, they also ship with flat tops so you can experiment. A great bonus!
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:08:54 »
Thank you for asking this! I was curious about whether or not this set was well received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk