Author Topic: Race to Keycon: Two Build Logs - Siig Minitouch And Filco Zero Mods  (Read 25822 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
At Keycon Midwest I'm giving a talk about Alps switches. I wanted to have my collection sorted so I'd have good examples for everything. My goal was to swap my Siig Minitouch GH Spacesaver to Orange Alps and Filco Zero to Green Alps. Mission accomplished. Here's a photodump since it was just switch swapping and a very very easy controller swap.

Filco Zero:

Before: just a stock board with a custom top from Photoelectric

First thing I did was take the top off (one screw and snap fits) then pop in the Pegasus Hoof controller from bpiphany. Just wanted to test it out to see if it would fit at all.

Take the plate/PCB out (unscrew two screws), desolder the simplified White Alps, and replace with Complicated Green Alps. I like to desolder all the switches then pull the PCB off. Then push the switches out of the plate with my thumbs. I didn't have enough Complicated Green Alps so I put some Matias Clicky in the Print Screen/Pause area. I rarely use those buttons anyways.

Test it with Aqua Key Test. I was so happy with this because I managed to do this in one take. I pulled the Pegasus Hoof with the stock controller in order to Aqua Key Test it. No touch up solders or re-doing joints. Shoutouts to LastPilot's LZ-S.

Swapped the indicator LEDs to teal ones. Then replace the stabilizers. My trick is to pry the wire out of the little clips then pull the caps off. THEN I'll remove the wire from the holders. Pretty safe. I'm destroyed stabilizers in the past by trying to manmode it. Next put the caps back on. I then programmed my Pegasus Hoof with EasyAVR, nubbinator's Flip guide, and bpiphany's info on DT Wiki on his controllers. Remember to hold the magnet over the controller! Then pop the top back on and the caps back on.

Siig Minitouch Geekhack Spacesaver:

Apple M0116 with Complicated Orange Alps

Filco Zero with Simplified White Alps

Started with an Apple M0116 aka Apple Standard Keyboard and a Siig Minitouch Geekhack Spacesaver. It's just a Siig Minitouch with some custom Geekhack Alps caps and simplified White Alps or Fukka Alps.

Unscrewed the six screws holding the case halves together on the M0116. Then took the caps off and took the plate/PCB out. Yay Orange Alps! I'm getting into NEC Consoles and just picked up a Turbografx. So it's cool to see the NEC chip!

Desoldered the switches out of the board :)

The switches were dirty so I dumped them into a little plastic bin and doused them in isopropyl alcohol. Like salting fries! Now that the Orange Alps are out, now I work on Siig Minitouch.

Unscrewed the four screws holding the Minitouch together. These two boards actually came apart very easily. They're some kind of Alps mount switch. Not simplified Alps. They were actually not bad. But they're no complicated Alps.

Desoldered the switches and removed them.

Now I take the previously desoldered Orange Alps and put them into the plate. First time around I used a Matias Alps to fill in the last switch but I found the Cream Lock Alps switch. Use that on the FN switch. Replaced the top and put the screws back on. The function caps needed some plastic bag shims like SP caps do. Which was really weird because usually Alps are *super tight*. Put the caps and stabilizers back on and then we're set. Minitouch with Orange Alps!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Race to Keycon: Two Build Logs - Siig Minitouch And Filco Zero Mods
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 12:37:58 »
This keycon will be my first time trying Alps switches. I ordered my first ever Alps PCB in the Orion GB, so I am really curious. Oh man, I can't wait to try them and learn more about these switches. Thanks so much for putting all this together in time! :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 12:42:39 »
Keycon? More like Alpscon  :cool:

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:24:28 »
Keycon? More like Alpscon  8)
Wow!  Amazing builds  :o 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:33:38 »
Keycon? More like Alpscon  :cool:

So much happy to see Alps love.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 19:53:13 »
Love Alps. Wish they were more common. I own several Alps boards but no Cherry boards. :P
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 13:50:32 »
That's a pretty cool Minitouch.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 18:42:31 »
Glad to see a other Filco Zero in the wild. Modded mine with NOS yellow alps  :). Ps it wasn't me this time reviving a dead topic ;)

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020