Author Topic: Dat Nu Xbax and Plaxstayshun (titled tp4 style)  (Read 12840 times)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Dat Nu Xbax and Plaxstayshun (titled tp4 style)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 13:37:07 »
It'll be interesting to see what system becomes the defacto standard. They're too similar for many people to want both. I suspect that Playstation did so well this generation that the PS5 will win by default. They're still the go to for Japanese developers so they get a ton of exclusives just by virtue of that fact. Microsoft are going to have to get way more exclusives than Forza, Halo etc. to bring in new users.

People apparently talk about backwards compatibility being a big deal but very few people actually use it. If you want PS3 and PS2/1 compatibility you can always buy the consoles they're plentiful and cheap as chips.

The 360 stomped the PS3 during its respective generation, because Sony was just as out of touch as, or more than, M$ was at the launch of this most recent generation. The fan bases are fickle. Mess with DRM, disregard online capabilities, etc, you'll have a lot of pitchforks and torches.

I imagine you're right, tp. It isn't in any developer's best interest to release their games on a single platform, and no others, especially when the hardware differences are so minimal. There's usually a lot of money, at a bare minimum, involved.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:11:11 »
reposting from other thread:
Microsoft needs to either double down on the cross platform game and media sharing between PC and Xbox, or they need new and innovative ip's that aren't just more sci fi shooters and driving games. Those are the only ways they will recoup. They don't need to compete against Sony, they need to corner a different user base. Wars are expensive to fight, and inevitably it becomes a game of attrition to compete with what the other side has. Instead of thinking about how to steal Sony's customer base, MS should be focused on creating something unique only they can offer.

Meanwhile Nintendo is just sitting back in the green because they distanced their hardware from the competition and have a stable of reliable ip's they aren't afraid to tinker with instead of delivering the same game over and over. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, but you've got to respect the sustainable market they've carved out for themselves.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:17:00 »
reposting from other thread:
Microsoft needs to either double down on the cross platform game and media sharing between PC and Xbox, or they need new and innovative ip's that aren't just more sci fi shooters and driving games. Those are the only ways they will recoup. They don't need to compete against Sony, they need to corner a different user base. Wars are expensive to fight, and inevitably it becomes a game of attrition to compete with what the other side has. Instead of thinking about how to steal Sony's customer base, MS should be focused on creating something unique only they can offer.

Meanwhile Nintendo is just sitting back in the green because they distanced their hardware from the competition and have a stable of reliable ip's they aren't afraid to tinker with instead of delivering the same game over and over. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, but you've got to respect the sustainable market they've carved out for themselves.

I agree that M$ needs something more, although they have already established their console as more of an entertainment platform than just a dedicated gaming system. Ironic, since that's basically the same approach that the PS3 took. I don't think that competing is a problem either though. They just need Sony to make a ridiculously stupid mistake, just as both companies have in the past, and they're back on top.

I can't respect Nintendo. I consider them the Apple of gaming, shoveling out ancient/gimmicky hardware for outrageous prices, seemingly unconcerned with the value offered to its customer base. I respect their games. I will never respect them, as a company, again.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 19:35:10 »
The new xbox and ps5 event was dissapointing

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 08:46:37 »
Quote from: Shapey Fiend link=topic=105159.msg2880334#msg2880334

They're still the go to for Japanese developers so they get a ton of exclusives just by virtue of that fact.

It's more like SONY is holding the Japanese developers HOSTAGE.. I've spoken to many developers, and they've explained the unwritten rule, if they're not on the inside track (gangster gaming companies, like konami), they have to tread carefully to stay favorable to the mob-boss Sony.

Jpn is a very tight Oligarchy ruled by former gangsters gone white.  This is the case with most countries (not just Jpn). For example, United States and UK, government member's heavy involvement in the slave and opium trade.

Sony Toshiba etc, these are all conglomerates of gangsters and former war-criminals (yes the ones who bombed pearl harbor) which the USA propped up post WWII to establish an eastern base.

This is absolutely the case. The boards of these companies, particularly the ones started in coin-op, are full of yakuza. Sega even tried kidnapping people. They got sued for abusing employees in the early 00's. It's a very patriarcial society that thinks nothing of squeezing the life out of the younger generation which is why it's become so moribund as an economy even if they're sitting on mountains of cash.

I'd take issue with Maledicted saying the 360 stomped the PS3. The PS3 did eventually outsell the 360. Plus in Japan the 360 nearly did worse than the original Xbox despite a ton of investment. MS have completely given up on doing well in Japan which means while JP developers do cross platform release for games they intend to sell in the west they aren't going to be as incentivised make Xbox editions.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 18:50:26 »
PS5 looks like a cheap router that they slapped two white slabs onto the sides that were made for an entirely different product. Looks awful IMO

Aesthetically I'll take a Microsoft Cube any day of the week. Buuuut they announced a Demon's Souls remake which will likely force my hand towards Sony.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 18:55:50 »
here we go, I present to you the PS5

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 23:17:24 »
here we go, I present to you the PS5
(Attachment Link)

Kekekkekeek.

The ps5 looks like it's prolly an impeller fan design. So, it'll be louders.  Xb has the better air flow design.

As for the shell.. Mmmm.. IDK, I hope it's not held together by little plastic tabs, hopefully it's all screw-in flanges.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 04:48:37 »
Hahaha. Nice one, noisy.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 16:43:02 »
It actually looks just like some existing tower fans:

It almost makes you wonder if the guy in charge of designing its aesthetics was sitting there staring off into space with no ideas, at 2 A.M. with the deadline being the next day, arbitrarily glanced at the fan in the corner and went, "Whatever, that works."

They're both just about equally hideous in my opinion. Last generation we had the pencil eraser and the VCR, now we have the refrigerator and the tower fan. Where did all of the imagination go?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 17:14:49 »
PS5 looks like a cheap router that they slapped two white slabs onto the sides that were made for an entirely different product. Looks awful IMO
Show Image

Aesthetically I'll take a Microsoft Cube any day of the week. Buuuut they announced a Demon's Souls remake which will likely force my hand towards Sony.

Disc version looks like an aliens pancreas ngl

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 07:55:41 »
Both consoles look quite derivative of gaming PC case trends of the last 10 years, which I'm already quite bored by.

I particularly dislike white plastics. What happened to colour? Every product, home decor and most websites now are greyscale. Maybe there'll be some blue if you're lucky. Most logos are flat. It's such a dull time to be alive.