geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Dvorak?

(1/11) > >>

Harry_Y:
Does any one use Dvorak here.

If so what can you tell me about it?

I'm thinking about switching one of my keyboards around to try it

Zalusithix:
I use it with my Kinesis, but I'm not sure what you want to know about it. I mean, there's a ton of information out there on the layout, and a number of threads dealing with it here at GeekHack.

It's easy enough to try by just setting your keyboard settings in the OS. I'd highly recommend not switching your keyboard around for correct lettering. Memorization is easier if you can't cheat by glancing down. Be prepared to take a hit to your typing speed though. It'll take some time before you'll get to your current typing speed, and you might never actually get any faster. Speed aside, it is more comfortable over long typing sessions.

You might also want to look into Colemak and other alternate keyboard layouts.

didjamatic:
Check out Colemak too, if I was to try another layout it would be that.  Less keys to memorize, supposedly more efficient.  Though there is more support out there for Dvorak.

Lots of info on this forum too.

Viett:
Forget Dvorak, learn Colemak ;).

I would recommend you read my layouts review, where I discuss the pros and cons to alternative layouts.

Don't move your keys around, though. To learn a layout correctly, you should never look at the keys. Besides, moving the 'F' and 'J' means the dips that help you find home row will be in the wrong place.

Zalusithix:
The downside to Colemak would be the fact that you wont be able to easily change a Windows system to support it. It's not too much of a problem for home systems, but for school systems or other public terminals running Windows, you wont be able to switch to Colemak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version