geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Split keyboards (as in two discrete halves)

(1/3) > >>

NamelessPFG:
I've been thinking about these as a way to set up a more ergonomic desktop area. Instead of keeping my arms up and in front, I could just have them lying off to my sides while I type. It also frees up center space for a lot of other things, which is the particularly important trait given how many input devices I'd be dealing with, ALL of which I want within ergonomic reach.

I'd probably have to give up buckling springs in the process (unless I luck out and find one of those rare Model M15/13H6689s at a price I can afford), though, and I haven't had the chance to try any form of Cherry MX keyswitch to know what I'd like (though based on descriptions, I'd probably go for Blues or at least Browns if I can; most of the ones I know of use Blacks).

Most of the split keyboards I've seen are rather flat like conventional keyboards for each half (Model M15 included), but I know that one of you basically cut a Kinesis Advantage in half and reworked the whole thing to act like a split keyboard. (I'd especially like to see a three-piece Maltron with the center numpad being the third piece, but given that those are even more expensive than the Kinesis Advantage boards...)

Any advice here? I know I've seen more than a few here, but haven't noticed a dedicated thread for them (especially if they're lumped in with single-piece ergonomic keyboards like Microsoft's old Natural Keyboard).

Input Nirvana:
So you want a central number/catch all keyboard section? Or is an additional layer on one of the halves acceptable?

hyperlinked:
A way back someone posted a link to a mod someone made by cutting a keyboard in half and mounting them below his seat on both sides of his chair. It looked like a hell of a lot of work. If you want to try this, I think a more sensible approach would be to just buy two keyboards and plug them both in.

This way, if you find that it doesn't work for you, at least you still have two intact keyboards and you didn't spend tons of time and money on doing the mod. If it's right for you, then you can split the keyboard the second time around.

NamelessPFG:

--- Quote from: input nirvana;211017 ---So you want a central number/catch all keyboard section? Or is an additional layer on one of the halves acceptable?
--- End quote ---

Either way is fine. They just have to be discrete components that I can place well apart, probably on both sides of my chair. If there's a central component for a numpad, it'll probably sit on the desk, centered, easily reachable by either hand (never mind that the layout's meant for the right hand).

--- Quote from: hyperlinked;211020 ---A way back someone posted a link to a mod someone made by cutting a keyboard in half and mounting them below his seat on both sides of his chair. It looked like a hell of a lot of work. If you want to try this, I think a more sensible approach would be to just buy two keyboards and plug them both in.

This way, if you find that it doesn't work for you, at least you still have two intact keyboards and you didn't spend tons of time and money on doing the mod. If it's right for you, then you can split the keyboard the second time around.
--- End quote ---

That would be an interesting way to experiment...if all my keyboards weren't full-size monstrosities with numpads, especially my Model Ms. (And then I only have one PS/2 port and no PS/2-to-USB adapters.) I predict that the full-size aspect will get in the way more than I'd like, and a big problem I currently have with my desktop space is all the peripheral clutter that forces me to move stuff around for the sake of ergonomics. (In particular, I don't like having to shove my Model M way off to the left of my desk so I can put my stick and throttle in front, since I haven't built stands for them yet. It's a pain because I still usually have to reach over for some important inputs I don't have enough switches on the HOTAS for.)

I might have enough space under my chair to tuck most of the left-hand keyboard under, though. That mitigates most of the problem, though the right-hand keyboard will still jut out pretty far, especially with the numpad.

Input Nirvana:
The Kinesis Contoured has an embedded num pad in the right key well. Access is one key press away. If space or ergonomics are in any way an issue, that's the way to go.

I just knew that split keyboards would be good for me, and I was right. I'm very happy. I'm making a couple of them, look at my silly project in my sig, maybe you can find info you need, or I can help you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version