geekhack Community > Ergonomics

IBM M15 - Split ergonomic

<< < (4/7) > >>

EverythingIBM:
The seller actually won't ship to Canada; therefore I can't have fun adding bids.

So I guess this auction is US only!

netwebber:

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;214294 ---The seller actually won't ship to Canada; therefore I can't have fun adding bids.

So I guess this auction is US only!
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;214265 ---You know what, I'm tempted just to bump up the bidding. May as well since it'll undoubtedly go for a lot.
God forbid if I actually won it, an extremely poor man with a fairly sought after keyboard I guess.
--- End quote ---

Phew. Yes, I'm the highest bidder. Be nice to the n00b.

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I build a collection and find my preferred setup. I've used ergonomic keyboards for a very long time but I love the sound and feel of mechanical switches.

Ripster, your posts (along with the excellent photography) have been informative and entertaining. I think we have similar tastes in hardware.

The supply-demand curve is not an accurate model of auctions. In the chart above, each curve represents an aggregation: The demand curve shows the number of people willing to pay zero, $1, $2, etc. up to some arbitrary amount. The supply curve shows the number of sellers willing to "produce" (in this case, sell) for $1, $2, etc. Where they meet is the free market price. There are lots of reasons that the sale of M15s doesn't take place like a free market, but I won't go into that just now.

An auction price doesn't represent the price something would go for in a free market. For something to go for $1000 at auction, all you need is one person willing to pay $1000 and another willing to pay $999. As Voixdelion put it in the previous M15 thread:

--- Quote from: Voixdelion;210063 ---Wow - SOLD @ $622 final... So...Genius? or would it have gone for more if there were some piranha  action at the end with more than two interested parties?

Well, actually all it takes is two, I suppose.
--- End quote ---

People often balk at the prices things go for at auction. But those figures don't represent what something is "worth" in the common sense of the word, its free-market price.

There are few people willing to pay $100, let alone $500+, for an M15. Most of those people haven't even heard of the M15. It's not like this thing gets marketed. And the people both interested and willing to pay might not be searching eBay or checking this forum regularly. There were only two bidders on the last M15 sold (I sat that one out because I thought the starting bid was high).  

Unfortunately, Ebay doesn't let you make direct bids (bumping up the max bid, say, by $100) to scare people off. It can be an extremely effective auction tactic.

In other news, I need to figure out the best way to position a Scrollpoint in my Belkin n52te so I can scroll comfortably but still have access to the D-pad...

EverythingIBM:

--- Quote from: netwebber;214301 ---Phew. Yes, I'm the highest bidder. Be nice to the n00b.

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I build a collection and find my preferred setup. I've used ergonomic keyboards for a very long time but I love the sound and feel of mechanical switches.

Ripster, your posts (along with the excellent photography) have been informative and entertaining. I think we have similar tastes in hardware.

The supply-demand curve is not an accurate model of auctions. In the chart above, each curve represents an aggregation: The demand curve shows the number of people willing to pay zero, $1, $2, etc. up to some arbitrary amount. The supply curve shows the number of sellers willing to "produce" (in this case, sell) for $1, $2, etc. Where they meet is the free market price. There are lots of reasons that the sale of M15s doesn't take place like a free market, but I won't go into that just now.

An auction price doesn't represent the price something would go for in a free market. For something to go for $1000 at auction, all you need is one person willing to pay $1000 and another willing to pay $999. As Voixdelion put it in the previous M15 thread:

People often balk at the prices things go for at auction. But those figures don't represent what something is "worth" in the common sense of the word, its free-market price.

There are few people willing to pay $100, let alone $500+, for an M15. Most of those people haven't even heard of the M15. It's not like this thing gets marketed. And the people both interested and willing to pay might not be searching eBay or checking this forum regularly. There were only two bidders on the last M15 sold (I sat that one out because I thought the starting bid was high).  

Unfortunately, Ebay doesn't let you make direct bids (bumping up the max bid, say, by $100) to scare people off. It can be an extremely effective auction tactic.

In other news, I need to figure out the best way to position a Scrollpoint in my Belkin n52te so I can scroll comfortably but still have access to the D-pad...
--- End quote ---

Get a scrollpoint pro... then you don't have to do any fancy cutting or that.

Well hope you win the M15 then. Better someone on geekhack than an unknown indiviudal.

EDIT: although you should heed webwit's advice and not announce it. Whenever he's keyboard hunting, he does it silently.

netwebber:

--- Quote from: EverythingIBM;214305 ---Get a scrollpoint pro... then you don't have to do any fancy cutting or that.

Well hope you win the M15 then. Better someone on geekhack than an unknown indiviudal.

EDIT: although you should heed webwit's advice and not announce it. Whenever he's keyboard hunting, he does it silently.
--- End quote ---

I'm looking for a ScrollPoint Pro. But I want that Scrollpoint on my left hand for speeding through long documents. A regular Trackpoint or trackball might also be useful for one-handed goodness.

Thanks for the advice. If someone wants to be an ass and drive up the price, he or she might find him/herself stuck with an overpriced piece of hardware. I'd like an M15, but I just started to use my Omnikey Evolution today and I'm beginning to really like it. The alternative placement of the delete key is the only thing throwing me off.

I scored my 1989 Model M for $8 from a used electronics store in NYC (though I did order another broken Model M from eBay for $10 to replace the spacebar and some missing keys).

netwebber:

--- Quote from: ripster;214316 ---NetW - Welcome to Geekhack!

Good luck on that M15 - we'll see how well that good old supply/demand curve works.  I'm well aware Ebay is not a perfect market.  In fact there's NOTHING perfect about Ebay.
--- End quote ---

Thanks.

eBay certainly isn't perfect. But as Voltaire said, "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" - the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Indeed, eBay (and Craigslist) have brought our society closer to a free-market economy for tangible goods than any system in the history of the world. The inefficiencies induced by auction fees, shipping, etc. are minimal compared to the need to travel to a market, engage in physical advertising, and that kind of thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version