geekhack Community > Off Topic

Amazon AWS down, tons of websites and services down.

(1/6) > >>

Leslieann:
So Amazon had a problem today with AWS (specifically an the East Coast but effecting everything)...
Rumor is it's bad, really bad and no idea when it will be fixed.

Delivery drivers have been sent home all over, but lest you think it only applies to Amazon here's a list of places and websites also effected... Unsure the extent and this is far from comprehensive.
Amazon services (Alexa, Ring, Kindle, Music)
Bethesda
Captitol One
Cash App
Charter Spectrum
Chime
Coinbase
Disney+
DoorDash
Dropbox
Flickr
Fortnite
Google (!) why?  <----
HBO MAX
IMDB
Instacart
League of Legends
McDonalds App
Netflix
PUBG
Robinhood
Roku
SiriusXM
Steam
Ticketmaster
Tinder
Valorant
Venmo
Verizon
Zoom

Possibly Uber/UberEasts

Who knew putting all your eggs in one basket was a stupid idea...

Faceman76:
I have a package out for delivery that was delivered hours ago, makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

fohat.digs:
Makes me glad that I am such a Luddite that I avoid the cloud as storage space. I keep all of my personal data physically and locally, although I do sometimes use Dropbox to exchange files with other people.

Besides both deliberate and accidental catastrophes bringing down data transmission, I can't stop thinking about natural phenomena such as weather and solar flares.

tp4tissue:
Thank god, Tp4 already got dem' arctic P12s  // pheww....

Leslieann:
Took 6 hours to get most services back, not sure if everything is back yet or not.
Apparently while AWS has multiple redundancies, this server/center was the one that controlled those redundancies. DOH!

It was bad enough that more than a few CEOs were making calls to find out how to return to their old self hosted systems (should have never switched), turns out even their backups were hosted on AWS so they couldn't switch back and couldn't even get started on breaking away until AWS came back online. Good job, what a sh*show from one end to the other. There's going to be some uncomfortable conversations at board meetings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version