geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Lexmark M15, what would you replace it with?

<< < (4/4)

DesktopJinx:
khatysus, you are my hero.

Well, except for the part about letting a four-year-old near the keyboard, but we all have our flaws :)

No, wait, I mean... that keyboard is poorly designed and will cause you great injury if it doesn't explode first. I can't believe someone just threw it in a dumpster; those things need to be carefully disassembled so as not to cause anyone harm. Fortunately I have a copy of the procedure and have done it before, and am willing to put myself at risk again for the greater good. Please box it up carefully, using copious antistatic packing material that will protect it against shock and vibration, and ship it to me immediately.

microsoft windows:

--- Quote from: didjamatic;222589 ---Keyboards being rescued from trash are my favorite stories.  That's how I acquired Northy (in my signature) and many other favorites.

If you work somewhere that has access to these suckers then seriously keep your eyes open.  Ask the maintenance people if you have a stash of them, or if there are storage closets with old computer gear - those are often the best places to look.
--- End quote ---

Geez, that guy blew my trash find out of the water! I got my low serial-number M5-2 out of a trash can at work.

ocdonkb:

--- Quote ---but I was dumpster diving in the electronic recycling box at work
--- End quote ---

damn how you do this? Many times I've walked by ours, but the most i've done is slightly raise my head to take a peek. Always feared that the entire office is probably watching :)

khaytsus:

--- Quote from: DesktopJinx;223911 ---khatysus, you are my hero.

Well, except for the part about letting a four-year-old near the keyboard, but we all have our flaws :)

No, wait, I mean... that keyboard is poorly designed and will cause you great injury if it doesn't explode first. I can't believe someone just threw it in a dumpster; those things need to be carefully disassembled so as not to cause anyone harm. Fortunately I have a copy of the procedure and have done it before, and am willing to put myself at risk again for the greater good. Please box it up carefully, using copious antistatic packing material that will protect it against shock and vibration, and ship it to me immediately.
--- End quote ---

Oh noes!  PM me your address, I'll pay shipping!

--- Quote from: ocdonkb;224063 ---damn how you do this? Many times I've walked by ours, but the most i've done is slightly raise my head to take a peek. Always feared that the entire office is probably watching :)
--- End quote ---

HA!  I have no shame.  I've pulled several servers out of there that the various build teams have replaced, even a few desktops that were well worthy of what I wanted to use them for.  They always pull the drives, but often leave the CPU and RAM so I find a drive from some other machine that's lesser and upgrade.  :)  I pulled 6 Kensington laptop locks out of there a few months ago...  People toss weird stuff.

Although I did make a bad pick once..  There was this massive mean looking server build box in there I about killed myself getting out of the box (power pack box; maybe 4 feet tall?) and when I got it set up I found out it was a dual processor Intel Xeon P2.  It was very high end spec for 2001, but even my weakest server in my lab was faster in every way.  ;)

microsoft windows:
Wow. You're almost like me. I got all 14 of my computers through dumpster diving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version