geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Need a split mechanical keyboard: what options do I have?

(1/4) > >>

dotancohen:
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade from rubber domes to a mechanical keyboard. The problem is finding a split keyboard design, the standard design hurts my wrists and forearms after extended use.

I have looked at the Kinesis Contoured however it requires the use of the thumbs, and my right thumb does not work. The Truly Ergonomic looked good, but mine has been on order for four months and I've now requested my money back.

So, what other mechanical split keyboards are out there?

Thanks!

gilgam:
uTron

expensive topre switches
http://www.personal-media.co.jp/utronkb/

db_Iodine:
The uTron has a layout that requires some practice to get familiar with it. Also if you ever want to use a keyboard with a standard layout, I'd guess it'd be harder again. HaaTa could probably tell you more about the uTron if you PM'd him, since he actually owns and I think uses one himself.

A bit of offtopic here, but I really hope you can actually get your money back from that Truly Ergonomic deal.

Findecanor:
The µTron was designed for use with the thumbs, but you don't need to use them. It is ridiculously expensive, but not only is it more ergonomic than ordinary QWERTY keyboards and has mechanical Topre switches, it is also one of the most good-looking keyboards ever ... and insanely cool.

The Kinesis Freestyle is a rubber dome. Fully split into two distinct pieces.

The Goldtouch is widely available. It is a high-quality rubber dome keyboard that has an adjustable ball that holds the two halves together. You can adjust the angles between the two halves and lock them in place. Laying flat, the two halves are separated by an inch. There is both an older and a newer version with slightly different layout for Home/End/PgUp/PgDown and comes in either (yellowish) white or black.
Although it is not split into two distinct pieces, it is certainly possible to screw it apart and remove the locking mechanism. That could give you a little bit more hand-separation. If you want more, then you would have to mod it with a new cable but unfortunately, each little wire is soldered separately (at least they were on my early version).
Even without any mods it is much better than any Microsoft "Natural" keyboard. The keys can be a bit noisy though compared to other rubber dome keyboards.

Edit: The FreeStyle has a SRP at $99, and the GoldTouch at $129, but the GoldTouch is much cheaper on the second-hand market. Sorry about the confusion earlier.

cbf123:

--- Quote from: Findecanor;299434 ---The Kinesis Freestyle is an expensive rubber dome. Fully split into two distinct pieces.

The Goldtouch is widely available and for a reasonable price.
--- End quote ---

Around here the Goldtouch and Freestyle are basically the same price once you add in the VIP accessory for the Freestyle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version