Author Topic: I created a keyset tracker! Now with a subscribe function!  (Read 5549 times)

Offline fliptrik

I created a keyset tracker! Now with a subscribe function!
« on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 15:23:13 »
Posted this over on Reddit but thought I'd post it here as well.

I follow keyset group buys pretty regularly. I got tired of having to keep track of all the links and visiting them all the time. I began to track all this information but with all the new group buys and interest checks coming out recently, I figured I could make someone else's life easier too. This tracker is the result that was hashed out in a few days. It's pretty rough, but it does the job.

The tracker only will follow keysets. There are other trackers for group buys. If for some reason this is actually useful to people, I could make one for all group buys. I'll be updating it pretty regularly since keysets seem to be a slight addiction of mine right now.

Because it's so rough, there's bound to be something wrong with it or information is incorrect, if you see something wrong or want to submit a keyset, there's a form on the page you can fill out! I'd love to take any and all criticism though. My main goal is usability. If one person gets any use out of this, my job is complete.

The website is: http://keyset.me/
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:48:59 by fliptrik »

Offline Giorgio

Re: I created a keyset tracker!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 03:38:33 »
Personally I only care about gmk. It would be nice to receive an email notification about that. You need to check also the Korean and Chinese websites.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 03:46:16 »
Awesome! That first keyset that shows up looks good :))

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 03:58:31 »
Thanks fliptrik
Novatouch TKL - Leopold FC660C - PBT my life.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 04:09:27 »
Just one thing - Danger Zone shouldn't be prefixed with 'the' afaik.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:23:14 »
I think it would be cool if you could have a database of previous keysets that have dropped and some info on them similar to keypuller.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:25:07 »
Great work! :cool:
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:17:18 »
Surely yours is more complete, but I would like to remember that we have this:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57761.0

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:22:47 »

That just tracks GBs. His also tracks ICs and PMK GBs

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 10:36:32 »
Now I've understood why PMK (pimp my keyboard) has that terrible name, they chose it to create confusion with GMK!!! :-)

That just tracks GBs. His also tracks ICs and PMK GBs

Offline Data

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:22:14 »
This is cool.  Nice job man.

And yeah, like Dihedral said earlier, it's just "Danger Zone".   :p

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:56:16 »
i really like this! thank you!

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 22:58:36 »
Really great idea. Awesome job fliptrik.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 23:56:35 »
Thanks for all the compliments guys! Glad to know some people are getting use out of it.

Just one thing - Danger Zone shouldn't be prefixed with 'the' afaik.

This is cool.  Nice job man.

And yeah, like Dihedral said earlier, it's just "Danger Zone".   :p

Well that's awkward haha. Made sure to fix that quickly.

Personally I only care about gmk. It would be nice to receive an email notification about that. You need to check also the Korean and Chinese websites.

I've thought about setting up some sort of notification system. I think it would be rudimentary at first. You'd have to select from a Google Form what you're interested in and then you'd receive an email whenever an event occurred such as moving out of interest check stage or having a GMK set added. It's definitely on the list though.

I think it would be cool if you could have a database of previous keysets that have dropped and some info on them similar to keypuller.

The thought crossed my mind. I think if I do something similar, I'd have to add it to it's own History page or something. I want the actual tracker to remain as streamlined as possible. Keypuller is a super awesome resource though and I'm not sure whatever I do would be any better than what's already implemented there, however.

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 13:39:50 »
Any chance to get this by email or to sort by added date ?

Also will love to get keyboard preview below each "line" expanding. Have to do lot's of scrolling to see all of them.

Thanks

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:56:53 »
Any chance to get this by email or to sort by added date ?

Also will love to get keyboard preview below each "line" expanding. Have to do lot's of scrolling to see all of them.

Thanks

What exactly were you thinking of getting by email? I'm probably going to be implementing a subscribe list in the next week or so that will allow you to receive an email whenever a set you signed up for is updated on the site. A date added sort would be nice but I think would be ultimately useless in the long run. Maybe an Updated Date column instead? That would show the last time something has changed with the keyset.

In it's current state, the last entry on the table is the most recently added. That's also what shows up at the top for the first preview.

I also agree that the scrolling is kind of annoying. The button that returns to top is just a simple band-aid fix. I debated having the table scroll to the top after each click but I couldn't decide how obnoxious that would be for people. A faulty click would send you right back up to the top. The current framework the site is built upon doesn't support that functionality so I'd have to create it myself. I don't have a ton of time currently to implement something that so it would have to sit on the back burner for now, unfortunately.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:06:34 »
I really like this, thanks a lot!

Please keep on top of it :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:17:21 »
I feel that a set called redline won't sell well over here

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:21:28 »
This is really really nice, I didn't even know half of these GBs were going on. Really helpful. I know this is just a Keyset tracker right now but it would be cool to implement other GBs in the future such as keyboards, plates, cases, etc (similar to the compilation mentioned by Giorgio).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 10:59:47 »
I like this a lot. A wonderful complement to http://keypuller.com/. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:51:29 »

This is really really nice, I didn't even know half of these GBs were going on. Really helpful. I know this is just a Keyset tracker right now but it would be cool to implement other GBs in the future such as keyboards, plates, cases, etc (similar to the compilation mentioned by Giorgio).

Thanks! I'm glad it's helping you lose more money  ;)
I've definitely considered adding a different tracker for that stuff. I think I'd make a Hardware Tracker or something. My next step is, which will happen in the next day or so, is to set up a subscribe function so users can receive emails when their interests change status for any reason. Once that has proven itself, I'll work to add another tracker in.

I like this a lot. A wonderful complement to http://keypuller.com/. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

It's my pleasure. I'm looking for a way to implement keypuller to a history section as per Steezus' suggestion. Hopefully they'll mesh well.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 11:58:39 »

Thanks! I'm glad it's helping you lose more money  ;)
I've definitely considered adding a different tracker for that stuff. I think I'd make a Hardware Tracker or something. My next step is, which will happen in the next day or so, is to set up a subscribe function so users can receive emails when their interests change status for any reason. Once that has proven itself, I'll work to add another tracker in.

If you can pull that off and keep it updated that would be a pretty awesome feature. You've got your first subscriber right here.  ;)

Offline tbc

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 12:54:39 »
might be easier for people to help add features if you put on github?

edit:

if you want to show 'inline' pics of the keyset, bind to the hover or click of each row and popup a tooltip.  much simpler than tryng to modify the table itself
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2015, 13:32:19 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline SL89

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 13:36:43 »
This is truly excellent. Great job!

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 14:02:35 »
might be easier for people to help add features if you put on github?

edit:

if you want to show 'inline' pics of the keyset, bind to the hover or click of each row and popup a tooltip.  much simpler than tryng to modify the table itself

Ahh the tooltip. It would work for desktop users but the mobile users wouldn't get much benefit, unfortunately. It would probably have to be a click action of some sort.

It's actually already up on github. If you, or anyone else, would like to help, just shoot me a pm and I'll send over a link to it. I'd be gracious for anything anyone wants to add into it.

Offline chive_

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 14:53:12 »
Great work! As long as someone keeps the website updated, it will be a great resource!

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:03:51 »
What exactly were you thinking of getting by email? I'm probably going to be implementing a subscribe list in the next week or so that will allow you to receive an email whenever a set you signed up for is updated on the site. A date added sort would be nice but I think would be ultimately useless in the long run. Maybe an Updated Date column instead? That would show the last time something has changed with the keyset.
Prefect for both points.

In it's current state, the last entry on the table is the most recently added. That's also what shows up at the top for the first preview.
Good to know

Offline fliptrik

Re: I created a keyset tracker! Now with a subscribe function!
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:12:32 »
Just added a form for email notifications. It's found at the bottom of the page.

Right now there are currently three options:

1. Receive an email when a new keyset is added. This is pretty self explanatory. Each keyset that gets added will trigger an email and send you a notification. It only does it when a new row is added and not updated. This may be too many notifications for people, given the amount of interest checks that pop up.

2. Receive a notification when a keyset has changed purchase status. Selecting this will cause you to receive notifications whenever a keyset goes from interest check to open or from open to closed.

3. Receive a bi-weekly email with cumulative updates. This is more for general updates. It'll probably be sent out every other Monday or so. It'll encapsulate all the changes in the keysets. It'll include everything from additions of child deals to change in profile and all.

Option 3 will include all the information of 1 and 2, but will be sent out less frequently. You're more than welcome to select more than one option, although selecting all three could be a little redundant.

Due to the nature of how the list has to be set up, we can't use a traditional subscription service. This will be run by scripts to detect changes and send emails. The subscription service will only be housing our email list and sending the emails. This means you won't get a subscription confirmation email when you sign up unfortunately. Filling out the form successfully will put you on the lists you request though. If you realize that you haven't been receiving emails, let us know and we'll make sure it's not messed up somewhere.

If you wish to unsubscribe, there will be a link at the bottom of each email that takes you to an unsubscribe form and will remove you from the list.

If anyone knows of a simpler way to manage the emails in the same manner using a service, I'd love to know. This is kind of hodge podge as it is.

Also. Quick shout out to tbc for helping to fix some issues on the site.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 11:47:31 »
Just added a form for email notifications. It's found at the bottom of the page.

Right now there are currently three options:

1. Receive an email when a new keyset is added. This is pretty self explanatory. Each keyset that gets added will trigger an email and send you a notification. It only does it when a new row is added and not updated. This may be too many notifications for people, given the amount of interest checks that pop up.

2. Receive a notification when a keyset has changed purchase status. Selecting this will cause you to receive notifications whenever a keyset goes from interest check to open or from open to closed.

3. Receive a bi-weekly email with cumulative updates. This is more for general updates. It'll probably be sent out every other Monday or so. It'll encapsulate all the changes in the keysets. It'll include everything from additions of child deals to change in profile and all.

Option 3 will include all the information of 1 and 2, but will be sent out less frequently. You're more than welcome to select more than one option, although selecting all three could be a little redundant.

Due to the nature of how the list has to be set up, we can't use a traditional subscription service. This will be run by scripts to detect changes and send emails. The subscription service will only be housing our email list and sending the emails. This means you won't get a subscription confirmation email when you sign up unfortunately. Filling out the form successfully will put you on the lists you request though. If you realize that you haven't been receiving emails, let us know and we'll make sure it's not messed up somewhere.

If you wish to unsubscribe, there will be a link at the bottom of each email that takes you to an unsubscribe form and will remove you from the list.

If anyone knows of a simpler way to manage the emails in the same manner using a service, I'd love to know. This is kind of hodge podge as it is.

Also. Quick shout out to tbc for helping to fix some issues on the site.

Ahhhhh yay! Subscribed  :D

Offline Heliobb

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 07:16:57 »
Awesome fliptrik. Thanks

Don't know for the service for mail because of the google doc you are little bit stuck. :/

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 09:18:50 »
Wonderful job fliptrik!
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline Frigid

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 17:18:16 »
This was instantly bookmarked, great idea and implementation!

Offline tbc

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 00:25:25 »
you may or may not be getting a 'tooltip' with an image of the keyset you're hovering over at the moment in a few days.

:)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 04:53:09 »
Thanks, fliptrik!

Great tool! Nice to see some GB's that I wasn't previously aware of (I very rarely check DT or Reddit).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:06:16 »
Huge shoutout to tbc. The site now has a working hover function. If you hold your cursor over the selected keyset, you'll see the picture pop up. Super useful.

It is a work in progress so if you see any issues with it, make sure you let us know!

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 16:49:00 »
Just a quick update about the bi-weekly update email. The script is in place and seems to be working correctly so the first email will be going out this Monday. Hopefully, it tracks and puts everything where it should go. Once this one goes out successfully, it'll start the every other week time schedule.