Author Topic: $1000 Budget, What Would You Buy?  (Read 4422 times)

Offline XUR

$1000 Budget, What Would You Buy?
« on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 00:18:51 »
I realized I've been spending weeks down a rabbit hole reading threads after threads of keyboard after keyboard. There are so many nuances and combinations and "limited" releases that I feel like I'm getting further away from a choice each day. So out of desperation, I'm reaching out with one of these cliche "what would you get" threads.

To keep things simple, I'm looking to purchase the highest end keyboard that I can with my budget, right now (or soon to be in a GB). Something around a 65% layout would be preferable. At this pricepoint, it would need to be something with substantial build quality and machined aluminum... from an aesthetics standpoint, it would be nice to have something blingy.

Which keyboard / build would you recommend based on the above that personally gives you the best feel and sound, etc. ? Just to help me narrow down the choices... if I can filter down to 5 top contenders of this "high end" category, I will be much better off FINALLY making a purchase.

Rama Works? TX60? OTD?

Offline mode

Re: $1000 Budget, What Would You Buy?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 01:47:36 »
I don't think anyone could advise you without it being inevitable that you'd be disappointed, a 1000 dollar MX board won't be 800 bucks better than a $200 one. Spending silly money on it will only be worth it if *you* fall in love with something, nobody can tell you that. There's no hidden secret amazing value in crazy expensive boards, just exclusivity and their own aesthetic.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 06:33:44 »
I'LL shoot. MKB, RAMA, OTD for starters. Those are generally the best of the best. Good luck to you getting one. I too, owning multiples of all three now do not really see a reason to spend the money. What would I get, and what do i use? A PFU limited edition Topre of course. $315 or less for a full-size and about $200 for a "65%" HHKB. If you want a "special" one get a Japanese layout HHKB with split Space bar. English caps of course. That is exactly what I use in fact. About $270.00 It is really the typing experience that should matter. Most would agree it blows away any MX. Some prefer MX though.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 08:41:00 »
I'LL shoot. MKB, RAMA, OTD for starters. Those are generally the best of the best. Good luck to you getting one. I too, owning multiples of all three now do not really see a reason to spend the money. What would I get, and what do i use? A PFU limited edition Topre of course. $315 or less for a full-size and about $200 for a "65%" HHKB. If you want a "special" one get a Japanese layout HHKB with split Space bar. English caps of course. That is exactly what I use in fact. About $270.00 It is really the typing experience that should matter. Most would agree it blows away any MX. Some prefer MX though.

Topre couldn't possibly blow away any clickies (besides maybe original Cherry MX clickies, which feel and sound like crinkling plastic grocery bags), because it doesn't click. I don't usually care for tactiles, but I'll give Topre a try if I ever get a chance. Personally, I can't fathom spending $1,000 on just a keyboard. You could get a nice Colt 1911 for that price, and I can guarantee a lot more craftsmanship went into that than any keyboard. Recently, for a few hundred more, I got a special edition high polished, etched (to look just like scroll engraving) and black filled Colt.

Offline Dr_Bond

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 08:55:12 »
So first off I would just lay out that when you start paying into the 4-digit range it's no longer about just quality. You are buying into the hype and into the history of the makers. OTD is a great example of that.
If it is indeed history and hype you are after, OTD will be out of your price range. The corsa, 356 series and koala are more of the sought after OTD boards and aftermarket easily hit 3k. The OTD aesthetic is certainly not blingy, but if you just mean you want a metal board then you are in luck because all customs are pretty much machined alu or steel. You could go for The Cheat with your price range, but again the whole point is in the hype and The Cheat isn't really a hyped board.

The higher up you go in keyboards the more neutral everything tends to be. People pay high prices for vintage keycaps (beige sets like 3000sat) and older boards because they want to own keyboard history, not bling.

Some great GB's going on right now are the 7v which could fit your aesthetic of "bling" or the Prophet which is the first ever pin mount, another incentive if you are into the history of boards. The Iron165 will have extras available in the not so distant future so there's possibility there too. Personally, if there was one board I could have it would be the OTD 356CL but it doesn't really make sense unless you are a hardcore collector or lover of board history. Like mode said, it's diminishing returns at some point (imo $4-600 at gb price) so don't push yourself to dish out 1k, especially on aftermarket prices. I know the title was more theoretical, but just my two cents :)

TGR Alice | TGR Matrix 8x V2.0 | Iron165 FE | Prophet

Offline walie

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 11:17:08 »

"Multiples" of OTD: doubt it

"65% HHKB": doubt that one too

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 11:54:12 »
If I had $1000 to blow on a keyboard, I'd buy multiple keyboards.  I've yet to find one that's perfect in every way.  They all have their pluses and minuses.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 22:22:00 »
Sure walie.

You are correct that HHKB is not really 65% though. That I wil give you. I was just explaining what it was like if he did not know. Mine is a Japanese layout with all Artisan caps. I put it in a off the shelf aluminum case for $85 and it fit perfect.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 23:35:22 »
I would seriously consider the drop ALT especially if you’re using an ANSI layout.

The alt ticks many of your boxes, it has the option of the nice backlighting, and per switch leds, which many higher end boards do not support (you may not want it, but the option is there).

With the extra cash, I’d buy a batch of zealpcs Switches - tactile or linear, however you please - and a fancy cable.

That will still leave you with with enough money to buy a second.

So buy a second one, with silence switches. Or just buy in on some GMK keysets that you like the look of.

Or, you know, save the money.

Offline XUR

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 00:08:53 »
Thanks everyone for the responses, it helps narrow the scope for me. The $1000 budget is a bit of an exaggeration and I certainly don't have to spend all of it, but wanted to set the bar high on what I'm willing to spend and am looking for in a keyboard.

I did email Rama to see what's going on with their M65 as I feel like that one has the most bling factor... if they release it again.

The Drop ALT does checks quite a few boxes: aluminum construction, nice LEDs. From the videos I've seen on it, the stock sound of typing on them is HORRIBLE, and not really something that I would consider "high end". I know the sound department is another subject, but from what I've heard, lubed Holy Pandas and Gateron Blacks sound nice.

Also, any thoughts on ai03 boards? https://kb.ai03.me/projects/index.html#keyboards

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 00:12:11 by XUR »

Offline logo4poop

• Talk to me on discord @logoooo
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 00:11:35 »
Rama and TX boards are pretty good.
LCK75 so lit

Offline powahause

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 20:43:04 »
Beamspring for sure, although it hurts to say that.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 21:51:58 »
Beamspring for sure, although it hurts to say that.

65% beamspring? Maybe, some day, if the Silos ever finally come out.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:08:57 »
Sounds like it's time to buy another kmac MINI  :p
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 22:20:13 »
Other creators worth mentioning are Matrix, Exclusive, & TGR.

TGR is a bit on the pricier side, so it'll be out of your price-range, but Matrix does have the Noah, which is an awesomely designed 65%. You may be able to find some in the aftermarket for sub-$1000.

Exclusive's E6.5 and RAMA's M65-A are good options as well, as I own both of these I can vouch for their quality.

UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 20:42:05 »
I realized I've been spending weeks down a rabbit hole reading threads after threads of keyboard after keyboard. There are so many nuances and combinations and "limited" releases that I feel like I'm getting further away from a choice each day. So out of desperation, I'm reaching out with one of these cliche "what would you get" threads.

To keep things simple, I'm looking to purchase the highest end keyboard that I can with my budget, right now (or soon to be in a GB). Something around a 65% layout would be preferable. At this pricepoint, it would need to be something with substantial build quality and machined aluminum... from an aesthetics standpoint, it would be nice to have something blingy.

Which keyboard / build would you recommend based on the above that personally gives you the best feel and sound, etc. ? Just to help me narrow down the choices... if I can filter down to 5 top contenders of this "high end" category, I will be much better off FINALLY making a purchase.

Rama Works? TX60? OTD?

GMMK with razer greens and artisans as the number row

Don't ask me why 😳

----

Or a Jane with holy pandas. seems cool to me

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 04:24:48 »
Drop ALT is actually deceiving. Made in China but easily touches the likes of Rama!

Offline oldnobody

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 07:52:06 »
Sure walie.

You are correct that HHKB is not really 65% though. That I wil give you. I was just explaining what it was like if he did not know. Mine is a Japanese layout with all Artisan caps. I put it in a off the shelf aluminum case for $85 and it fit perfect.

i would be interested to see this keyboard. can you post a picture? thanks!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 08:52:36 »
Drop ALT is actually deceiving. Made in China but easily touches the likes of Rama!

There's very little that isn't made in China these days, unfortunately.

Offline walie

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 23:23:37 »

yeah no.

Offline dabeshu

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 11:46:52 »
I’d probably go for a 1.2 OG if I were suddenly given a grand. Nearly went for one built to my specifications for just under that on mech market. It’s just too much to spend on a keyboard for me even though it’s my favorite TKL custom. If I had a good chunk more to spend, my dream board is the LZ MX Mini SE. My favorite 65% is the ZealPC Zephyr and I almost bought one once. They offer some kind of hotswap socket that is apparently installable into any of their models. These three boards and I’d probably be done with customs for a while.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 12:52:57 »
Get a nice Topre or cruise /r/mechmarket for a month or so and just pick something you like. For kits over $400 everything is basically the same aside from aesthetics, so pick what you like.

Can wait for a GB, but if you don't care about money buying aftermarket will give you a better selection.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150