Author Topic: New Buckling Spring Design  (Read 7443 times)

Offline wcass

New Buckling Spring Design
« on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:06:40 »

Big Blue Saw (waterjet and laser cut service) is sponsoring a "Spring" design contest and I entered. I collected a bunch of ideas that i had discarded when designing the XTant - but i feel these ideas may have merit in a new project. Contest money will help pay for a lot of it, so I hope that you will consider voting for a project to make a new buckling spring keyboard even if you don't love all of the ideas i plan to try out.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Blue-Saw/8821792782?sk=app_610925878965605&ref=page_internal

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: New Buckling Spring Design
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 23:29:54 »
Good luck man! You always do amazing stuff!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 00:53:13 »
I voted for ya.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 10:53:31 »
I would vote for you, but it would require I sign up for facebook.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 05:25:42 »
Voted and shared! Best of luck! Looking forward to this materialising into something substantial.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:11:35 »
Definitely interested in seeing what you come up with wcass!!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:06:08 »
Voted!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:17:50 »
I voted for ya cause you definitely deserve this (even if I am sad about the choice for M vs F :p), but it would be a great step anyway!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline wcass

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:38:22 »
Thanks, guys.

I knew that going M would not be popular, but thought it worth exploring. I would like to have something to send to KeyCon.

Offline mmbacon

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 08:48:21 »
Voted for ya, uphill battle with the votes, the Brass Knuckles I mean bike multi tool is racking up those votes. Anyways if I read correctly most votes doesn't necessarily win.
must resist bacon on keyboard

Offline wcass

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:42:10 »

Thanks for the support, guys. I am one of the finalists in Big Blue Saw's "Spring" design contest. Results to be announced Friday. Design details at the link below.
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/new-buckling-spring-design-t10234.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:46:50 by wcass »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 10:07:01 »

Thanks for the support, guys. I am one of the finalists in Big Blue Saw's "Spring" design contest. Results to be announced Friday. Design details at the link below.

Awesome! I hope you win wcass. If there's anything we can do to sway the vote, please let us know.  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:12:49 »
65% layout with backlighting?
Flat profile?
Custom case?
Thumb buttons?!
BUCKLING SPRING?!?!?!?!?!?

ALL HAIL WCASS. PRESIDENT FOR LIFE OF GEEKHACK

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 13:14:58 »
Flat profile?
Custom case?
Thumb buttons?!
BUCKLING SPRING?!?!?!?!?!?

ALL HAIL WCASS. PRESIDENT FOR LIFE OF GEEKHACK

Seriously this is awesome! Hope it wins!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 17:07:14 »
can't wait to see the newest protos at keycon!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 17:12:47 »
Flat profile?
Custom case?
Thumb buttons?
BUCKLING SPRING?

Screw that jive-ass crap.

Model F components - SSK layout - with Windows keys - native USB / Teensy programming - Industrial color

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 05:48:29 »

Model F components - SSK layout - with Windows keys - native USB / Teensy programming - Industrial color

It's ok to be scared of things that are new and different fohat.digs. I won't judge you too much for it. And besides, isn't that what Xtant is for?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 10:11:18 »

It's ok to be scared of things that are new and different fohat.digs. I won't judge you too much for it. And besides, isn't that what Xtant is for?

Hahahaha.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 10:18:26 »

But xtant is just step one.  I believe that project was mostly for PCB design while reusing as much of the original donor board as feasible.  The next step comes with delving deeper into the custom buckling springs stuffs.  Personally, I feel that the end game would be F internals Ergo Dox with MX compatible stems.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 19:53:44 »
HAH!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 20:12:20 »

Congrats dude! Hope to hear more good news!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 21:55:59 »
Here is to hoping you make it through the finals.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 07:58:44 »

But xtant is just step one.  I believe that project was mostly for PCB design while reusing as much of the original donor board as feasible.  The next step comes with delving deeper into the custom buckling springs stuffs.  Personally, I feel that the end game would be F internals Ergo Dox with MX compatible stems.

I long for something like this but it will probably be 20 years before it becomes reality!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 11:17:34 »

I long for something like this but it will probably be 20 years before it becomes reality!

I would love that.

Offline regack

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 14:02:27 »
wcass, sorry to hear you didn't win.  Your work is still good and I will still be keeping on eye on it  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 14:18:00 »
Flat profile?
Custom case?
Thumb buttons?
BUCKLING SPRING?

This would be nice!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:48:06 »

Dont be pessimistic, with enough cash and effort we could have this by the end of the year. It only requires people's time so far.

The hard part so far is making the plastic bits: Even if we "reuse" a unicomp barrel frame, plate, keycaps and case, we'd have to figure out how to make F hammers, so if you know anyone with an injection molding machine we can test different blends and get it working. We'd also need a few thousand for proper molds.

Offline wcass

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 21:47:19 »

I got the case in the mail today - i'm surprised at the size. It is noticeably smaller than my Kishsaver despite having one more key column.
Kishsaver = 14" x 7", 98 square inches, 64 barrels, 61 (typical) keys
this = 13" x 5.1", 66 square inches, 74 barrels, 70 (typical) keys

I'm hoping to have the first one built in time to debut at KeyCon Chicago (May 16). I've ordered almost everything i need, so should be able to give you guys an idea on how much one of these little guys are going to cost; under $100 for the PCB, membranes, case and electronics. This does not include the cost for buttons, stabilizer inserts, pivot plate/springs, and rubber mat (about $50 new from Unicomp or donor board) or barrels (donor board only, sadly). It also doesn't include the cost for time and tools to assemble - a Bus Pirate and pogo pin header for programming, acrylic weld/glue, tap, and soldering equipment.

I can't keep calling it "my new design" so it needs a name. Please feel free to make a suggestion.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 02:23:48 »
I read wcass' post with my mouth open...

I looked down and saw a pool of saliva on my desk...

:p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 08:40:05 »
I can't keep calling it "my new design" so it needs a name. Please feel free to make a suggestion.

It's a buckling spring board, so I guess "B-penning"

Because "it's b-penning"
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS