Author Topic: [IC] Nazaré 1-60 by Nazaré Engineering  (Read 42826 times)

Offline Invezting

[IC] Nazaré 1-60 by Nazaré Engineering
« on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:35:43 »

Nazaré 1-60 Wave 1 (W1)
IC Form (Now Closed)

Introduction
Hello, my name is Brian and I am a long standing member of the community who has almost a decade of experience in engineering/CAD. I make this post here today to introduce my brand new company, Nazaré Engineering, alongside its very first project. The name of the company, Nazaré, takes after the Portuguese city home to the largest ocean waves on Earth. This name embodies Nazaré Engineering’s vision perfectly, as the company stands for a breathtakingly large wave of innovation and brilliant design. Through this company vision, I set out to design Nazaré Engineering’s first keyboard to look special, feel premium, and sound elegant. With these goals in mind and meticulous attention to detail, the Nazaré 1-60 was born.

Naming Convention for Nazaré Keyboards
  • The first number (in this case, 1) signifies the design series of the specific form factor of the keyboard.
  • The second number (in this case, 60) denotes the form factor.
  • When applicable (as not every design, including this one, is guaranteed to rerun), group buy rounds will be numbered and referred to as recurring waves (W1, W2, W3...etc.).

Design Approach
  • The top of the keyboard is designed to look special and captivate your attention, as the bottom right blocker badge provides a signature aesthetic never before seen on a 60% keyboard. The symmetrical bezels also allow for a clean top-view look that compliments the low front height of the keyboard. Even the carefully selected fillets and chamfers work together to showcase a soft, yet sharp and modern look.
  • The bottom of the keyboard is designed to portray the concept that the gravitational pull of the sun and moon causes ocean waves. This is why the keyboard bottom showcases a copper weight that represents the sun, a brass weight that represents the moon, and an ocean blue polycarbonate "weight" that represents Nazaré’s ocean waves.
  • I designed a brand new mounting style for this keyboard, which I have called the “Rail-Ring” gasket mount system. This new “Rail-Ring” gasket mount system is basically a hybrid of isolation gasket mount and o-ring gummy gasket mount. This mounting system consists of wrapping o-rings around every edge of the plate to dampen all contact between the plate and case. The left/right edges of the plate have 1 o-ring wrapped around them. The top/bottom edges of the plate have 3 o-rings wrapped around them. All 8 o-rings then rest inside of tunnels machined into both the top and bottom of the keyboard. These tunnels are meant to keep the plate in place and provide a little bit of o-ring compression. The depth of these tunnels also keeps the plate in a floating position where the plate doesn’t make any contact with the case. This system was designed with the intention of providing a consistent typing experience across the whole plate, as well as hopefully improving upon the already satisfying typing experience associated with o-ring gummy gasket mounted keyboards.

Specifications
  • 6063 Aluminum Case
  • Color Options: E-White Top w/ Anodized Black Bottom and Anodized Black Top w/ E-White Bottom
  • Bead-Blasted (Renders are Mirror Polished) Stainless Steel Bottom Right Blocker Badge
  • Default Anodized Black Aluminum Plate (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • Eight 50A Silicone O-Rings
  • Four Different Bottom Accent Weights:
  • Bead-Blasted (Renders are Mirror Polished) Stainless Steel Weight #1
  • Bead-Blasted Copper Weight #2
  • Ocean Blue Polycarbonate "Weight" #3
  • Bead-Blasted Brass Weight #4

Features
  • Bottom Right Blocker 60%
  • “Rail-Ring” Gasket Mount System
  • 6.9 Degree Typing Angle
  • Low Front Height (≈18.5mm)
  • Seamless Case Design
  • Centered USB-C Unified C3 Daughterboard (Designed by ai03 and friends)
  • Solder PCB - Compatible with QMK and VIA (Designed by Gondolindrim)
  • Supported Layouts (ANSI & ISO):

What comes in the box (excluding add-ons)?
  • Nazaré 1-60 Keyboard
  • Default Aluminum Plate (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST Cable
  • All Necessary O-Rings, Bumpons, and Screws
  • Hex Key
  • Custom Microfiber Cloth
  • Custom Carrying Case:

What add-ons will be available?
  • Extra Anodized Black Aluminum Plate Add-on (of either ISO or ANSI layout)
  • Extra PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST Cable Add-on
  • Extra Forged Carbon Fiber Plate Add-on (of either ISO or ANSI layout)

Sale Info

Answers to Possible Questions
  • Why no tsangan bottom row?
    Sorry guys, I really wanted to support 7u, but I eventually decided to fix the bottom row to 6.25u for a number of different reasons.
    Reason #1) To make the bottom right blocker/badge look more square and less rectangular. I basically wanted the board to look more like a top right blocker board and less like a HHKB, as I feel like this would give the board its own signature look never-before-seen on a 60% keyboard.
    Reason #2) To make the aesthetic of the board more symmetrical in spite of the bottom right blocker, as fixing the bottom row to ANSI allows the space bar to have three keys on both the left and right of it. If I were to support tsangan, the board would have three keys on the left and only two on the right. This would also force me to design two different tops, as the blocker would have to be a different size in order to support tsangan.
    Reason #3) To lower the number of SKUs for this first run.
  • Why is this 650 USD?
    This price is a result of: the microchip shortage + the low unit count of the project + the 5 different materials used across the whole board (aluminum, stainless steel, brass, dyed polycarbonate, and copper) + complex machining + working with reputable manufacturers.

R1 Prototype Information
  • The color for this prototype is E-White Top w/ E-Black Bottom (The GB units will be Anodized Black instead of E-Black, so keep this in mind).
  • The stainless steel pieces (badge and backplate) for this prototype are both Bead-Blasted.

R2 Prototypes Information
  • The colors for these prototypes are E-White/Anodized Black (so the same as what will be offered for the GB).
  • The stainless steel pieces (badge and backplate) for these prototypes are also Bead-Blasted (so the same as what will be offered for the GB).
  • Changes made to R2 Prototype: optimized plate consistency/feel through flexcut changes, increased space in case for PCB flex, made usb-c hole larger, improved assembly design for badge, made adjustments to the o-ring rails for improved durability, added daughterboard stands, and made a JST cable channel.

Production Units Information
  • Changes made to Production Units: removed the (interiorly located) bottom left screw from the stainless steel weight to eliminate any odds of the switch pins making contact with the screw (when the left control key is pressed), the LEDs on the PCB will be moved further out so the lighting diffusion is improved and so that the LEDs themselves are not visible through the polycarbonate "weight," made slight adjustments to the fillets of the holes on the plate for improved switch fitment, made slight adjustments to the stab cutouts on the plate to accommodate the fillet adjustments made, added an engraving to the interior, and increased the front height of the keyboard to 18.5mm for increased space under the PCB.

Connect With Nazaré Engineering
To stay up to date with this project and any future projects, follow the instagram page and join the discord server below!
Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/nazare.engineering/
Discord Server: https://discord.com/invite/qtmRtdCBJv

Giveaway
In preparation of the February GB, alexotos and I have teamed up to giveaway the Nazaré 1-60 R2 Prototype in the typing test above! Go check out his post to find out how to join the giveaway! Here is the link to it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZNZqOpOuKP/?utm_medium=copy_link. The giveaway will close on February 14th, 2022 at 10pm EST.

Special Words
I would like to thank the whole rat pack, the entire Nazaré discord, Gondo for the PCB work, Pikku for doing all of the renders, CookieCurls/alexotos/Lulzthax/clack labs/WilsonKeebs/Poesjuh/sj_does_things/KneeDeep for the builds/pictures/typing tests/streams/patina work, and anyone else who helped support this project along the way<3 This project wouldn't have been possible without any of you.

Note
Please consider this post a living document, as I am constantly updating the post to keep everyone informed with the most accurate details.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 November 2023, 03:47:50 by Invezting »

Offline RatRave

Board looks really good!

Offline sunnysidecali

Wow!!! I'm ready to ride the wave ;D

Offline dRnRcRr

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Looks awesome!

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading

Offline C_L | Soup

Beautiful! GLIC, can't wait to see this progress and more designs come from you!

Offline vheissu

• Pragmatic Geometrist
LET'S GOOOOOO

Offline MisterWaffle

very well designed and creative. this is gr8

Offline novelflyer

It looks awesome!

Offline KneeDeep

Dig the side profile and three material accent weights. GL with IC!

Offline Nuap

Finally an innovative 60% GB.

How about a few underglow LED's on the bottom of the PCB so the blue polycarb wave piece glows?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Aight this is pretty cool
I love Elzy

Offline Invezting

How about a few underglow LED's on the bottom of the PCB so the blue polycarb wave piece glows?

The PCB will have lighting compatibility!

Hey I know that wharf and beach!

Offline YMwoo

finally a different 60% that looks nice.
GLWIC!

Beautiful board. Can't wait for the group buy!

Offline NoxNoxNox

I'm dying to experience how this feels and sounds to type on compared to typical gasket and o-ring designs.

Sign me up.

Offline Nuap

Can you confirm that underglow compatibility? For that the PCB would need to have pads for LED's like the WS2812B.

Offline MelonBred

This is super neat! With the proto in hand, does the design meet your expectation/goals or do you think you might have to do some tweaking?

Offline SDKCAMPING

for those curious about the mounting feel, I think the squishy 65 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111401.0)  is something that you can refer to or ask people about the feel. I think the feels may be similar since it uses the same concept, maybe a little harder since it has side mounting as well

I love the weight design, it is so unique for this board!
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline Hi !!

• Kiimari
Definitely an unique approach. Something worth considering.   :)

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
I have only seen this mount once before, always wanted to try it.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
Will there be non-blocker available as an option? Kinda messes with symmetry...

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
Looks great!

Offline Izeri

I really like this, that mounting is definitely interesting!
Also awesome renders by pikku once again :)

Offline RoyalOak88

It really saddens me when I see someone being inspired by the culture of a country and then not showing a little love for it.
Not sure why you don't include an ISO version, when your inspiration comes from a country which uses ISO, in a continent where everybody uses ISO. I'm sure that most of people which relates with Nazaré (or at least know it better) are ISO users.
That being said, love the design and this could probably be my fist 60% keyboard. But no ISO, no love.

Offline Invezting

Can you confirm that underglow compatibility? For that the PCB would need to have pads for LED's like the WS2812B.

I was told by Gondo that he would indeed do this for the PCB. However, just to make sure I messaged him so that he can clear up your question, as I am sure he can do so better than I can.

Offline Invezting

This is super neat! With the proto in hand, does the design meet your expectation/goals or do you think you might have to do some tweaking?
The prototype has exceeded my expectations and I am very happy with how it turned out. However, I still have some more testing to do, as I would like to improve upon the keyboard as much as possible before the group buy :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:05:14 by Invezting »

Offline Invezting

for those curious about the mounting feel, I think the squishy 65 (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111401.0)  is something that you can refer to or ask people about the feel. I think the feels may be similar since it uses the same concept, maybe a little harder since it has side mounting as well

I love the weight design, it is so unique for this board!
Oh wow! I have never actually seen this keyboard before! Thanks for linking this, as I am sure there is some useful information here for those wondering about the mounting system. I will say however that there could still definitely be some differences in both sound/feel due to different factors like the mounting point positions, the material(s) of the keyboard, the compression from the case, and (the durometer softness, size, tightness, and material of) the o-ring. Luckily I will be sending out some prototypes to various content creators and streamers to review and provide further information.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2021, 16:10:19 by Invezting »

Offline Invezting

Will there be non-blocker available as an option? Kinda messes with symmetry...
I completely understand that the blocker isn't for everyone. I initially considered allowing for this option, but after some pondering I ended up deciding against it, as I feel like this blocker gifts the board with its own recognizable and special look. I do understand that it could be a bit polarizing though and am willing to reconsider this option in the future when I am able to comfortably pump out more SKUs.

Offline GMK83

Looks awesome!

Offline Invezting

It really saddens me when I see someone being inspired by the culture of a country and then not showing a little love for it.
Not sure why you don't include an ISO version, when your inspiration comes from a country which uses ISO, in a continent where everybody uses ISO. I'm sure that most of people which relates with Nazaré (or at least know it better) are ISO users.
That being said, love the design and this could probably be my fist 60% keyboard. But no ISO, no love.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is only right for this keyboard to have ISO support, so I will get straight to working on it!

Offline Nuap

I was told by Gondo that he would indeed do this for the PCB. However, just to make sure I messaged him so that he can clear up your question, as I am sure he can do so better than I can.

Great news, I am very keen for this - will definitely be buying during GB.

Offline RoyalOak88

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is only right for this keyboard to have ISO support, so I will get straight to working on it!

Great news and thank you!
As someone who growth seeing Nazaré and also surfs, this have an emotional attachment to me  :)

Last request, is it possible to do some renders with key sets related with the sea/surf/beach down the line? (Ex.: KAT Great Wave, GMK Sunset Surfing, KAM Ocean Font, KAM Aquanaut etc.)

Really excited for this  :cool: GW

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
Killer design, can't wait to ride the wave!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Invezting

Great news and thank you!
As someone who growth seeing Nazaré and also surfs, this have an emotional attachment to me  :)

Last request, is it possible to do some renders with key sets related with the sea/surf/beach down the line? (Ex.: KAT Great Wave, GMK Sunset Surfing, KAM Ocean Font, KAM Aquanaut etc.)

Really excited for this  :cool: GW
Glad I could help! :thumb: Thanks for your support and for your feedback! I do apologize for not including ISO as an option initially, I guess I didn’t expect there to be this much global interest/support. I am pleasantly surprised and grateful for all of the global support I have gotten through the IC form. Expect ISO to always be supported by Nazaré boards from this point on!
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 January 2022, 15:46:18 by Invezting »

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
Nice- this checks a lot of innovative things off the list!

Offline kabocha

awwwww yeaaa. sign me up! wait I already am! Congrats on the IC!

Offline ninjapirate

• @ninjapirate9901
Yeah this looks dope.

Offline yenel

as a right control user the blocker location saddens me
Plastic GH60 | Rukia 1.5 | Orion v2.5 | Kei | Aria | Ciel Proto | Room40 | Jelly60 & Pro | TFV2 | Phantom TKL

G80-1800 | IBM M122 | AEK M0115 | AEK II M3501 | Zenith Z-150 | SGI Granite & Beige

Offline rokon07

• Reddit: u/rokon-07 | Discord: rokon07#2203
Great design; The only suggestion I would give would be maybe to move the logo up top and do split backspace with one key removed. Even without the suggested change, the board looks great. Looking forward to GB.
Keycult 1/60 Rev.1 | KL90 | Keycult 2/65 Red| Keycult No2 Contemporary Red | Sat75 | Rama M60a

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
So what is the difference between this and one o ring that goes around the whole assembly
Also I want to know difference between this and normal strip gasket

from tree leaf
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 11:45:48 by treeleaf64 »
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Havattack

Another 60 with a pointless coroner blocker... Well, I guess that's what the people want.

Offline Invezting

So what is the difference between this and one o ring that goes around the whole assembly
Also I want to know difference between this and normal strip gasket

from tree leaf
I will be sending prototypes out to multiple content creators and streamers who I am sure will do a great job at explaining these differences. Stay tuned!

Offline dRnRcRr

Another 60 with a pointless coroner blocker... Well, I guess that's what the people want.
Please link us your keyboard IC.

Offline Ustinj

l've had thoughts of a WKL left blocker and an HHKB right blocker a few times but never dared to act on it because of symmetry... but I feel like a bottom right blocker on a 60% actually brings practical benefits. For those who use HHKB arrows (with split right shift FN), having no key in the bottom right makes it a lot easier to locate that FN key. A couple times I try hitting FN on a full tsangan layout, I need to be more precise to not hit the bottom right CTRL key.

On topic, nice work OP, I like the aesthetic you've got going on and the multi-colored weights

Offline Zoba

i think the mini o-rings are kind of cute  ;)

Offline Zetina

• El pajarraco
Very very nice

Offline finalarcadia

If you add ISO pls make a separate plate for it  Great looking board here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 April 2021, 02:34:37 by finalarcadia »