Author Topic: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back  (Read 77342 times)

Offline KaosJ

Re: [GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:05:10 »
I'm not entering anyway but I gotta say that I respect you canceling the group buy because of something like this. Rooting for you to come up with a new logo that is your own and that you have great success once the group buy goes online again. Until then I wish you the best with ideas and redoing all the files and whatever needs to be done so the show can go on.

TL;DR: RESPECT

Same here, not interested anymore in TKL keyboards but OP has my respect, canceling the GB was the right thing to do but also the hardest thing to do.   
Bad things happens, but still you came out like a hero. Congratz

Offline darkslay3r

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:45:18 »
it's a good keyboard, i loved that unique shape and cutting for brass insert !!
just curious why drama started now ? not when still in IC
Viper V2 | TGR 910 CE | TGR 910 Poly R1 | RF 55g

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:59:05 »
This was the worst possible news I could have come home to.
I absolutely adored this design and I was ready for the GB.
I don't know how it'll look when this comes back, but I will do my damnedest to have the funds to purchase it.

I respect you for canceling under the circumstances, and I am sorry that your 'designer' wasn't as much help as you thought he was. I'm ashamed to admit that I totally forgot that Google shut down in China, so I could see how this could happen.

Yeah, this is what frustrates me the most. If only this had happened during the IC process we could've been much further in the design of the new logo.
Ah well, this is just my personal frustration and that'll go away.
Best of luck, and rest assured I expect to join the next time this goes into the GB process. :thumb:

Offline zzyjayfree

[GB] the Moon - Custom Keyboard - CANCELLED, we will come back
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 07:59:41 »
it's a good keyboard, i loved that unique shape and cutting for brass insert !!
Apparently Limitz first found out about the moon logo and than the weight design and the second logo. It can happen anytime during the GB span. This's actually lucky for us to happene before production starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:05:06 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline Nalif

« Reply #304 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:00:20 »

I'm assuming because the fact that the logos were not original was not discovered during the IC.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #305 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:01:24 »
let me know when the new thread will go up.

also, some rough concepts I whipped up just now:
Show Image

All original design by me. (fonts aren't final yet though, just an idea)

- top left:          two moon phases (allthough it reminds me of the Hurley logo a bit, it should be fine regarding copyright issues)
- top right:        five steps of an eclipse making up the logo
- bottom left:    creation of moon (simplyfied) (earth on the right, moon on the left)
- bottom right:  moon scars (Imbrium, Procellarum & South Pole-Aitken)

edit: let me know what you think. (I think top left logo could either use thicker strokes for the circles, or move the letters inside the moon. And also I think the fonts from bottom left and bottom right might look better switched around.)

I like your first pass more.  I like all but the top right.  I like the NASA font in the top left.  The bottom left reminds me too much of Pacman, but again I like the font.  I dislike the smaller circle in the first O in the bottom right logo, but this one might be my favorite font. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:03:00 by metalliccharles »

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 08:34:58 »
Damn, unfortunately that something like this happened.

Please keep it up, We will come back and everything will be better.

I think this should be a good time to make the color options are more obvious now.

Also no more fixed colors combination would be great.

I hope new IC thread will show up soon  :thumb:

Offline Dystopia

« Reply #307 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:04:26 »
I'm a little sad because I missed Yuri for this, but props to you for not advocating the use of "stolen" designs. I doubt many people would dare to cancel for such a reason. On the bright side, I can start practicing self control :p

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:20:39 »
Massive respect for having the guts to cancel this late in the game.

I'm definitely in for the board, as the design is beautiful. Can't wait to see the next design.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:46:13 »

Show Image

- top left:          two moon phases (allthough it reminds me of the Hurley logo a bit, it should be fine regarding copyright issues)
- bottom left:    creation of moon (simplyfied) (earth on the right, moon on the left)

edit: let me know what you think. (I think top left logo could either use thicker strokes for the circles, or move the letters inside the moon. And also I think the fonts from bottom left and bottom right might look better switched around.)

I like your first pass more.  I like all but the top right.  I like the NASA font in the top left.  The bottom left reminds me too much of Pacman, but again I like the font.  I dislike the smaller circle in the first O in the bottom right logo, but this one might be my favorite font.

a few combinations: https://i.imgur.com/oT4mGjV.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/BjQKo1p.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/ALwownI.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/gwyg8Bt.png

Offline Kavik

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:53:50 »
At this point, I'd settle for just the word "MOON" in a neat typeface instead of a logo at all. Typefaces can't be copyrighted. Also, you could ask the copyright holder for permission for one of the original logos.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Petch

« Reply #311 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 09:56:03 »
Well done for showing integrity, it's refreshing to see in a market that's becoming dominated by plagiarism

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 11:09:31 »
Tbh I think a very simple moon shape with no stripe would be great.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:15:04 »
At this point, I'd settle for just the word "MOON" in a neat typeface instead of a logo at all. Typefaces can't be copyrighted. Also, you could ask the copyright holder for permission for one of the original logos.

Typefaces do actually have copyrights. The more famous ones can rather expensive too, with varying prices depending on your use case.
Also note that there are a lot of typefaces on the internet that are either pirated versions or just as blatant rip-offs of the originals as the logo designs in question.

So if we are to cancel this because the design borrows to heavily from existing work. Then we should do things correctly all the way, including typefaces. For example, some of riocs (please don't take this as criticism) designs use a typeface that at least are very close to the NASA font. Is the NASA font in the public domain, or have the owner given us the permission to use it?

My main point though is that it is very difficult to navigate the cluster**** that is copyright and produce something that is entirely unique. Especially when we get to such a high level of simplification and abstraction as these logos.

Would I prefer if the design were entirely unique? Yes.
Would I rather that the design looks good? Absolutely, any day of the week.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of the now discarded designs. From an ascetics standpoint I preferred the original logo and the weight felt a little weak design wise. Though I liked it enough to join the group buy.

For the weight I like to propose using the moon phases like this.

Though I guess this could also be considered prior art.
But at least we have the fact that the actual moon phases looks like this.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #314 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:40:26 »

Typefaces do actually have copyrights. The more famous ones can rather expensive too, with varying prices depending on your use case.
Also note that there are a lot of typefaces on the internet that are either pirated versions or just as blatant rip-offs of the originals as the logo designs in question.

So if we are to cancel this because the design borrows to heavily from existing work. Then we should do things correctly all the way, including typefaces. For example, some of riocs (please don't take this as criticism) designs use a typeface that at least are very close to the NASA font. Is the NASA font in the public domain, or have the owner given us the permission to use it?

My main point though is that it is very difficult to navigate the cluster**** that is copyright and produce something that is entirely unique. Especially when we get to such a high level of simplification and abstraction as these logos.

Would I prefer if the design were entirely unique? Yes.
Would I rather that the design looks good? Absolutely, any day of the week.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of the now discarded designs. From an ascetics standpoint I preferred the original logo and the weight felt a little weak design wise. Though I liked it enough to join the group buy.

Show Image

At least, in the US, typeface is not able to be copyrighted according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces.

I've come up with a couple of crude hand drawn alternative logos. I'll upload pictures when I'm at home.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 12:56:48 »
disappointed to see this get cancelled, but excited to see what will come next. with so many other things going on right now I had to skip on this originally, but hopefully I'll have the funds when it comes back around.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #316 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:00:29 »
At least, in the US, typeface is not able to be copyrighted according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces.

Thank you for clarifying that.
And thanks for giving such a perfect example of the crazy complexities of copyright law with international differences.

Looking forward to seeing your drawings.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:22:28 »

Show Image

Bottom left is my favorite out of those.

Sad to see the GB cancelled, was really looking forward to this. Will definitely be in when it gets booted up again.

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #318 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 13:33:08 »

Trying my hand at some logos.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 14:30:52 »

Show Image

I think that is an awesome looking weight design, I wasn't a big fan of the original (copy?). Like one of the original suggestions, I love the look of something like this

Offline Tally810

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 14:48:38 »

Show Image

a few combinations: https://i.imgur.com/oT4mGjV.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/BjQKo1p.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/ALwownI.png  //  https://i.imgur.com/gwyg8Bt.png
Damn dude I think you are on to something.  All of them seem viable to me with a couple small tweaks.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #321 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 15:14:29 »
yup. this one, drop the background
More

but the 'm' and 'n' should be rounded not square. like shadows, and same perspective as the moon
and the moon is a little too big

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #322 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 15:54:21 »
More
Show Image

but the 'm' and 'n' should be rounded not square. like shadows, and same perspective as the moon

I agree with rounding the edges.  The key feature of this board is it's curves; the logo should reflect this.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #323 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:25:24 »
Show Image

I agree with rounding the edges.  The key feature of this board is it's curves; the logo should reflect this.

yeah, will do some adjustments tomorrow :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 17:34:42 »
Show Image

yeah, will do some adjustments tomorrow :)

That's a nice one--seems reasonable to machine as well. 
. . .
I think the stripes add a nice touch of contrast for the otherwise large extended rear end.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline gaiden

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 21:43:50 »
Are we still looking for a logo? Well I'll chip in for the cause. What a nice board be a shame to go down like this!

Offline bciamny

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:19:15 »
i really like your designs gaiden :)

Offline swangful

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:19:49 »
This is based of the font "Prometheus"

Offline neralo

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:30:03 »
Are we still looking for a logo? Well I'll chip in for the cause. What a nice board be a shame to go down like this!

Show Image

that insert design is perfect.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:36:51 »
Wow guys, I'm seeing a lot of incredible designs right there.

However, I feel like we should go back to the old interest check thread, let other GB threads shine here!

Let's continue the discussion at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037.0

Edit: Updated link to new IC thread
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:51:24 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:45:37 »

However, I feel like we should go back to the old interest check thread, let other GB threads shine here!

Let's continue the discussion at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88478.0

Just FYI: I think the IC thread is locked.

Also, I want to say how impressed I am that you paused this GB to sort out the logo matter. The right decisions are usually not the easiest to make, but you absolutely did the right thing here. Also, I always felt that two different logos on the same board was poor design (on an otherwise amazingly designed board), and this is an opportunity to fix that as well. Well done, and I look forward to seeing the great logo options that are sure to be submitted. Cheers!

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 22:50:49 »

Let's continue the discussion at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88478.0

Just FYI: I think the IC thread is locked.

Also, I want to say how impressed I am that you paused this GB to sort out the logo matter. The right decisions are usually not the easiest to make, but you absolutely did the right thing here. Also, I always felt that two different logos on the same board was poor design (on an otherwise amazingly designed board), and this is an opportunity to fix that as well. Well done, and I look forward to seeing the great logo options that are sure to be submitted. Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know! Please re-redirect to: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037.0

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:27:24 »

Show Image

gaiden, that **** is dope. 10/10 would buy

Offline IAmPyhrra

« Reply #333 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:02:53 »

Show Image

We found our new logo, time for the GB to resume  ;)

On a side note, it is a good thing Limitz found out before the GB actually started.

Offline gaiden

« Reply #334 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 00:12:54 »
i really like your designs gaiden :)

Show Image

that insert design is perfect.

Show Image

We found our new logo, time for the GB to resume  ;)

On a side note, it is a good thing Limitz found out before the GB actually started.

Show Image

gaiden, that **** is dope. 10/10 would buy

Thanks guys zzyjayfree has opened up a new IC thread i would suggest those with ideas please submit/resubmit theirs to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037.0 and let's help get this GB back on track.  :thumb: