Author Topic: Dun'foget 2 charge ur Car Batteries Guyz.  (Read 3685 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dun'foget 2 charge ur Car Batteries Guyz.
« on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 13:47:09 »
Older Batteries can go low in 2 weeks without chargn' / driving.

Newer batteries can go 1-2 months. <not recommended>

This could lead to a busted battery, or a non-starting car during an emergency.

Ya'll can use either a car battery charger, OR a battery maintainer. Either one will work.

Offline yui

Re: Dun'foget 2 charge ur Car Batteries Guyz.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:03:37 »
when you are in a city without a garage neither are an option though, i am glad that i had to change the battery last month in my car, the 25 years old battery in it would not have survived. i guess for us it is going to the car and run it for a while
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:06:00 »
when you are in a city without a garage neither are an option though

Battery charger? I've taken batteries out and charged them separately a few times.

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:13:15 »
Battery charger? I've taken batteries out and charged them separately a few times.

when i had my old battery that held charge for at max 4 days i did look at buying a charger but never did as when my car was not moving enough i did not have the money and then i got a job and the car was moving everyday, so the problem was solved, although with the new battery the main problem i had starting is that the gas in the car does seem to have lowered in quality quite a bit already to the point that the car does idle much lower and still one month of containment to go. so check your gas as well even if you can't do much about it.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:58:36 »
must... burn... hydrocarbons...
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:27:40 »
{boom}

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 12:46:22 »

This is not good for the contacts and cable, but yea can do that.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 13:13:11 »
Actually it doesn't hard the cable and contacts if you charge the battery out of the car.  Only thing it will mess with is the in car systems/ecu's as some newer vehicles need training to hold start up and idle throttle positions.  Even my '02 4Runner does this and it's not a drive-by-wire vehicle.
But in all, yes if you can a battery/voltage tender is the best option - and look for one w/ a "float" mode as it will prevent the battery from being over-charged.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 17:49:31 »
Actually it doesn't hard the cable and contacts if you charge the battery out of the car.  Only thing it will mess with is the in car systems/ecu's as some newer vehicles need training to hold start up and idle throttle positions.  Even my '02 4Runner does this and it's not a drive-by-wire vehicle.
But in all, yes if you can a battery/voltage tender is the best option - and look for one w/ a "float" mode as it will prevent the battery from being over-charged.

If you got the expensive cables , it's ok, but if you got the cheapo aftermarket ones, they tend to go loose if you open and close um, and over time, the crimp is too deformed to make a good connection.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 07:10:32 »

depends on your setup. I happen to be locked down far away from home, with my car in the street. I run a very long extension cord from the home, across the sidewalk, up to the car and let my battery charger charge the battery for x hours every week or so. I cannot really remove the battery: car requires a visit to the dealership after a battery change (total ripoff but that's how it is: fancy luxury car).  Well, technically it's possible to place a new battery in while letting the old battery connected at all times, but it's a bit tricky to do.  So I really really don't want to have my battery die during this lockdown.

My battery charger/maintainer (CTEK, quite common amongst petrolheads) shows an arbitrary 8 levels of "charge" and car was down to 3 out of 8 after two weeks of lockdown (I requires to be at 4 out of 8 for the car to start). After two hours of charge it's back to 5 out of 8.

Wires are thin, so I can close the trunk with the charger outside the car (and due to the plug, it's not possible to steal the charger without cutting the charger's cord, so I'm not too concerned about theft).
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 07:13:01 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline bobdayle

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 06:36:32 »

depends on your setup. I happen to be locked down far away from home, with my car in the street. I run a very long extension cord from the home, across the sidewalk, up to the car and let my battery charger charge the battery for x hours every week or so. I cannot really remove the battery: car requires using free wow essay writer  to find out how to do it and  visit to the dealership after a battery change (total ripoff but that's how it is: fancy luxury car).  Well, technically it's possible to place a new battery in while letting the old battery connected at all times, but it's a bit tricky to do.  So I really really don't want to have my battery die during this lockdown.

My battery charger/maintainer (CTEK, quite common amongst petrolheads) shows an arbitrary 8 levels of "charge" and car was down to 3 out of 8 after two weeks of lockdown (I requires to be at 4 out of 8 for the car to start). After two hours of charge it's back to 5 out of 8.

Wires are thin, so I can close the trunk with the charger outside the car (and due to the plug, it's not possible to steal the charger without cutting the charger's cord, so I'm not too concerned about theft).

I didn't check my battery for more than 1.5 months now and afraid little bit to do it.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 05:52:40 »
I make sure to drive my car on occasion to make sure the battery doesn't die. The battery is almost brand new, less than 6 months old, so I'm not worried.

Plus, worst case scenario, I have some people push my car across the parking lot and I pop start it (stick shifts ftw).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 09:56:00 »
well I will be taking my battery to swap it out for another, fortunately since I bought an AGM battery (Optima style) it came with a 5-6yr free replacement and this one only lasted 2yrs.  Last one I had prior to this lasted 7yrs which is why I stick with AGM style over a standard battery.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D