Author Topic: My project, a mechanical orthogonal keyboard  (Read 9907 times)

Offline Marcel

My project, a mechanical orthogonal keyboard
« on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 13:28:03 »
Hi guys !

Currently, I'm using two regular keyboards :
 - One TypeMatrix 2030 :  the orthogonal layout is awesome, but it's too small (can't get on the arrow/home/end keys without looking the keyboard), I miss the numeric pad and the laptop-style keys are too flabby.
 - One DasKeyboard 4 : the feeling of the Cherry MX switches is wonderful, the size perfect, but it use this ugly staggered layout inherited from prehistoric times.

So I had the crazy idea of building my dream keyboard, mixin' these two : a DasKeyboard with a TypeMatrix layout. Thanks to you and your knowledge, I know that's possible now.

Here is a picture of my goal :

What do you think about this project ?

I think I will go for MX Clear, with some Brown for Shift/Ctrl and some Green for Num/Caps lock.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: My project, a mechanical orthogonal keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 13:56:59 »
If that's your dream, I encourage you to make it happen.  It's not my bag, but it certainly would look cool.

After you settle on a layout, you should plan where you're going to get keycaps.  Lots of non-standard in there.  Perhaps wait for the next GB that has lots of optional kits.  They often just have blank sets of various sizes.

By the way, what do they mean by "orthogonal"?  Just that it's a straight matrix?  Not sure I've ever heard it described that way before.

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 17:28:17 »
I like it.  Go for it!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 04:11:40 »
First - I like it, you should definitely make it :)

As for what I think of it as a project one of the hardest parts of any project is the case which it looks like you have sorted, but if the DAS has spacer/screw support things where you have keys it won't be as easy as slotting it in.

Another is caps as has been mentioned.  If you don't mind loosing the perfectly squareness and don't want to use blanks you might consider using 1.75 Shifts as these are more easily available?  It's the same each side so symmetry would be maintained... You'll still have some fun finding 2x Tab and Caps keys, and you'll need to be sure you get standard stabilised or matrix depending what you have in your layout (matrix keys fit over two standard switches, standard ones use offest stabilsers)

Lastly the media buttons (and volume control?) in the top right.  If these aren't on a separate PCB you can link to the main one you're going to need some accurate measuring equipment and CAD skills to get them in the perfect position.  Also is the volume control clicky or smooth?  If it clicks you should be able to wire it up as two keys for volume up/down, but if it's smooth it's analogue.  Not sure any firmware supports analogue but can't say I've ever looked.

If you've already thought about these things and have the skills/equipment great, but you sound new so thought I'd mention everything!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Marcel

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 06:30:59 »
Thanks for these answers :-)

By the way, what do they mean by "orthogonal"?
Sorry, bad translation, I'm not a native English speaker :-/ As you guessed, I meant "matrix layout".

For the caps, I'm planning to reuse the blank ones I already have on my Das, with a few more from wasdkeyboards.com to fill the missing sizes. I think these two set a compatibles.
Anyway, I'm using a Bépo layout, properly labeled keycaps doesn’t exist, even for regular keyboards (except the TypeMatrix) ...

The media keys and the controller are on a separate board, connected with a ribbon cable to the main PCB, so it should be quite simple, I "only" have to build a new plate and a new PCB as drop-in replacement parts.
So, here is the big job, I need to reverse-engineer the original Das PCB and modify it.

With any luck, does somebody know how to find the original Eagle/KiCad files of the DasKeyboard 4 PCB, version 105 EU ?
(I know, but I still believe in Santa Claus)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 06:33:48 »
Those are almost certainly proprietary and not available publicly.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 06:54:49 »
If you have patience and a multimeter you can map out the matrix by seeing what's connected to what, I did a full size Ducky which was clearly designed by a crazy person but hopefully the people at DAS are more sane.  If you're really lucky and it's a single sided PCB with no backlighting you might be able to make out the matrix just by looking at it - keyboard circuits don't have to be complicated.

You might have some fun designing a PCB to work with the original controller though, because you're moving some keys.  It might be easier to leave a couple of switches disconnected and wire them in by hand when it's done.

Feel free to post pics of what you're playing with, preferably with a light above so the traces are easy to see.  We like pics :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 22:02:33 »
How easy and comfortable do you think it will be to be hitting the Enter key in the middle of the matrix?
It looks like a bit of a reach.
If you only use one thumb for the spacebar, maybe consider shortening the spacebar and putting the enter key down beside it.
For example I am predominately a right-thumb spacebar user, so putting the enter key down under the B key in your layout would be very convenient.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Marcel

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 15:40:49 »
Hi,
The Enter key in the middle of the matrix is part of the original TypeMatrix design, which I want to stick as much as possible. I'm using it for a few month now and it's really natural in fact, more than using the pinkie.

I thought about putting a space bar shorter to make it symmetric, but I can't find a keycap sized 1x5 for it...

Offline Marcel

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 13:32:46 »
Hi All !
I started to tear apart my Das Keyboard, here are some photos :

The PCB is simple sided, shouldn't be too complicated to reverse engineer :

First caveat, I will have to unsolder all switches in order to get the space stabilizer, the small bar is between the plate and the PCB :

Second issue, I need to find a FFC cable with 26 wire to connect to the controller board as I don't want to destroy the original PCB. This part doesn’t seems to be very common...

Let the fun start !

Offline Marcel

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 16:24:55 »
Hi !

I almost finished the design of the plate, I'm about to ask a quote at Big Blue Saw.
But which material should I choose ? "Stainless Steel T-304" or "Cold Rolled Steel A366" ? The price is approximately the same...

Thanks !

Offline Marcel

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 15:47:21 »
Hi Guys !

I finally received the plate made by Big Blue Saw :

The overall cutout is good, but there is a small bump on the side of the cut (left photo) that make each hole too small by 0.2mm.
I had to fix this using a file (right photo) so the switches can fit.

Did you have this kind of issue ?

Offline Charger

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 18:08:25 »
Hi Guys !

I finally received the plate made by Big Blue Saw :

The overall cutout is good, but there is a small bump on the side of the cut (left photo) that make each hole too small by 0.2mm.
I had to fix this using a file (right photo) so the switches can fit.

Did you have this kind of issue ?
looks nice. When i got plates from bigbluesaw I didn't really have that much of a problem but i did clean up  every switch hole with a file anyways since there was a little more tapper in the cut then I would have liked making them all a little on the tight side but it didn't take that long to do for my plates.

as for something that it seems no one responded to before oddly...
First caveat, I will have to unsolder all switches in order to get the space stabilizer, the small bar is between the plate and the PCB :
you only need to desolder the space bar switch to get that out.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 04:42:45 »
Great to see some progress on this :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Marcel

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 12:03:33 »
Hi !

you only need to desolder the space bar switch to get that out.

Thanks for the tips ! Anyway, I had to desordier everything to read both side of the PCB.

I finally received all parts, It's time to build it !

Here is the comparison between the original plate and the new one :

.. and he original PCB with the new one :

I'm filling it with White MX and some Brown for pinkies. (and 3 Green for fun)

It's working perfectly fine, but the sound is slighly different from the original one, the plate is resonating a little bit when I kick it.

Thanks you all for your help !

Offline neverused

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 14:25:50 »
Looks great

Offline Marcel

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 13:52:51 »
Hiya !

I just published all sources files, DXF and KiCad including the DasKeyboard Ultimate 4 schematic:  http://www.lps-it.fr/pub/DasMatrix/DasMatrix-3.0.src.zip

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 September 2015, 14:20:12 »
This looks great! Where did you have the PCB produced, and what was the cost?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 01:41:06 »
Ages ago, Das was talking about recreating their perfect keyboard, almost it was a quest to just build something... Well ,Das used a rebranded keyboard, and you rebuilt a Das.  I'd say that your board is the more Das than Das. (If that makes sense...).

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:15:22 »
It may not be the prettiest board out there but it's awesome to see this followed through to completion!

You might want to look into putting a rubber drawer liner mat or similar under the PCB if the resonance gets annoying :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:39:39 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Vozella

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 23:10:35 »
Orthogonal? I thought we called them Ortholinear.
That's a very nice layout though.

Offline Data

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 20:52:27 »
Insanely impressive. The plate, the PCB... Wow.

I'm jealous.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 20:42:29 »
 :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 20:59:25 »
The finished product looks really cool. I like the stealth black  :thumb:

That's kind of a brand name for Jack's Planck. It'd be like saying Hover/Dyson instead of vacuum cleaner; technically wrong, but people know what you mean  :)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:11:55 »

That's kind of a brand name for Jack's Planck. It'd be like saying Hover/Dyson instead of vacuum cleaner; technically wrong, but people know what you mean  :)

I think the most popular generic term is matrix-style.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Data

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 09:33:15 »

I think the most popular generic term is matrix-style.

Or grid/columnar...

I really want to know more about the PCB.  Where did you have it made?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2015, 09:35:17 by Data »

Offline Marcel

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:36:57 »
Hi,

I ordered the PCB at Gold Phoenix  http://www.goldphoenixpcb.com/.
It's quite good and the price is reasonable regarding the size of the board. For a full-sized double layer with a "complex" shape, it cost me $ 135, including shipment to Europe.
But it could be cheaper with a rectangular shape and cutting it afterward.

The term "Orthogonal" is a poor translation, sorry about that :-)

Offline torusJKL

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 12:35:58 »
Impressive.
In your posts it looks so easy.
I wouldn't know where to start :-)