Author Topic: [IC] Carbon Keyset  (Read 241293 times)

Offline wlhlm

• ~
Re: [IC] Carbon Keyset
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 06:54:53 »
I already got a carbon fiber plate for my SA Carbon build: (split Backspace, split right Shift, winkeyless bottom row, Super/Alt swapped)
109279-0

Some toying around: (Base kit, Mod Kit, Flex kit, Novelties kit, 7u beige spacebar)
109281-1

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:31:42 »
I already got a carbon fiber plate for my SA Carbon build: (split Backspace, split right Shift, winkeyless bottom row, Super/Alt swapped)
(Attachment Link)

Some toying around: (Base kit, Mod Kit, Flex kit, Novelties kit, 7u beige spacebar)
(Attachment Link)

Damn wlhlm you missing only carbon fiber case. Anyway you owe us Picture if you finish this one  :p
Wait, is this the Smart 68 pcb?
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 11:48:15 by T0mb3ry »

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 17:51:21 »
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Damn wlhlm you missing only carbon fiber case. Anyway you owe us Picture if you finish this one  :p
Wait, is this the Smart 68 pcb?
Nope, it was a custom order.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 23:25:25 »
(Attachment Link)

That is so sexy looking I only wish they would do one for a modest TKL layout.  Imagine having a TKL case built up from Carbon Fiber from scratch........  :o

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 03:42:23 »
So, the drop has completed!

I must be honest that I'm disappointed with the final price, considering the numbers ordered. SP really should offer them at a lower price at the higher counts.

BUT, I'm very happy it's even going to be made at all. This is going on two of my keyboards once I have them finished, although it's going to take SP a LONG time to fulfill the orders. First they have to complete Retro SA, which is delayed due to running out of plastic. Then there's Jukebox that still needs to be made, then this one (although I may have missed a set somewhere in between), so it's not going to be sent out for a while.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #305 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 04:34:50 »
I jumped in with 15 minutes to go. It wasn't cheap considering the funky layout I was trying to accommodate, but there you go. I think I bought enough to fill 4 boards.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 05:30:32 »
I jumped in with 15 minutes to go. It wasn't cheap considering the funky layout I was trying to accommodate, but there you go. I think I bought enough to fill 4 boards.

Good man same here, I was just surprised why there were so many negative ninnies crying fowl here.  I thought it went well, got the numbers which is always guaranteed when it comes to key-caps on MD yet a lot of angst and sniping at MassDrop, why?

I think a lot of the sniping came from non-buyers who thought it was their job to stop this Group Buy by as much as possible but again you have to ask them, why such nasty behaviour in the first place.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #307 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 07:56:51 »

Good man same here, I was just surprised why there were so many negative ninnies crying fowl here.  I thought it went well, got the numbers which is always guaranteed when it comes to key-caps on MD yet a lot of angst and sniping at MassDrop, why?

I think a lot of the sniping came from non-buyers who thought it was their job to stop this Group Buy by as much as possible but again you have to ask them, why such nasty behaviour in the first place.

Yep, that was exactly what I thought. One guy even said he would pass and go and get this elsewhere for cheaper. :)

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 08:05:40 »
I did not realize this was ending last night and did not place an order  :'(
Oh well, I have a few other SA sets coming, and I can try to pick this up on the classifieds once it ships.

Offline ddamko

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:21:49 »
Gnomobot https://www.massdrop.com/profile/Gnomobot on the MD comments posted these beautiful renderings. I figured it would be good to post them here before they get drowned the comments on MD.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 11:53:13 »
Gnomobot https://www.massdrop.com/profile/Gnomobot on the MD comments posted these beautiful renderings. I figured it would be good to post them here before they get drowned the comments on MD.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

These are very good. I appreciate them :)

Anyway i wish you all happy waiting (me including)  :p

Offline spacemonkey001

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 13:04:04 »
So, the drop has completed!

I must be honest that I'm disappointed with the final price, considering the numbers ordered. SP really should offer them at a lower price at the higher counts.

BUT, I'm very happy it's even going to be made at all. This is going on two of my keyboards once I have them finished, although it's going to take SP a LONG time to fulfill the orders. First they have to complete Retro SA, which is delayed due to running out of plastic. Then there's Jukebox that still needs to be made, then this one (although I may have missed a set somewhere in between), so it's not going to be sent out for a while.

You're forgetting Modern Selectric. I'm in that one and Melissa emailed last week that it should ship by Sept 3, which is a delay of about 3 weeks due to so many SA orders. SA Retro is being delayed due to running out of brown plastic. So I think it'll be awhile before we get these caps. But it'll be so worth the wait.

Offline Sharku

« Reply #312 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 20:03:40 »
Hi! i'm Gnomobot.
Thanks ddamko for your mention on this forum. I made some renders with better quality, hope you like it!  :thumb:

ENJOY!

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 20:07:54 »

Hi! i'm Gnomobot.
Thanks ddamko for your mention on this forum. I made some renders with better quality, hope you like it!  :thumb:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

ENJOY!
This looks amazing and realistic.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 07:10:46 »
Hi! i'm Gnomobot.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

ENJOY!

Awesome renders. Thank you for sharing, and for your contributions to the forum quality.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 10:21:20 »
Hi! i'm Gnomobot.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

ENJOY!

Gosh that planck!

No seriously where have you been all the previous GB? I think community needs an application which could render every possible layout. You could sell it or give it for free but with donation options.
Great job!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 03:26:21 »
Just got an email from them (MassDrop) letting us all know that SP can't produce these on their original timeline.  It's been pushed back a good month so these keys will have to wait a while before we see them.

Amazing how SP likes to deal with MassDrop yet when a huge order comes in 2000+ they're left holding the bag wondering what went wrong........  :-\

If you want to deal with MD you got to start ramping up your facilities to accommodate all the large orders coming in, otherwise sooner or later people will go elsewhere to get their key-caps.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 08:18:21 »
Yeah, they had no idea these would be so popular. Uh huh, hmmm. smh

Can't say this comes as a surprise. I think some people predicted a delay as soon as the drop finished.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #318 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 10:19:15 »
Just got an email from them (MassDrop) letting us all know that SP can't produce these on their original timeline.  It's been pushed back a good month so these keys will have to wait a while before we see them.

Amazing how SP likes to deal with MassDrop yet when a huge order comes in 2000+ they're left holding the bag wondering what went wrong........  :-\

If you want to deal with MD you got to start ramping up your facilities to accommodate all the large orders coming in, otherwise sooner or later people will go elsewhere to get their key-caps.

No surprise for me. Totaly expected. I would be surprised if they could make them on scheduled time. But you know its the trick of mine: expect the worst and be surprized but get never disapointed :)

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 15:29:36 »
Can't say this comes as a surprise. I think some people predicted a delay as soon as the drop finished.

It's Massdrop. I feel safe predicting a delay before a drop starts.

Offline T_ReV

« Reply #320 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 00:45:50 »

Where else can people go? Seems like SP is the only company doing these kind of custom small run keycaps.

Offline Data

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 16:21:55 »

Where else can people go? Seems like SP is the only company doing these kind of custom small run keycaps.

JT Keycaps is starting to get a foothold.  If they can come close to GMK quality and consistently produce custom legends with a high degree of accuracy, I have absolutely no doubt they will draw some business away from SP.  Which might actually be a good thing for everybody...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 20:39:55 »
JT Keycaps is starting to get a foothold.  If they can come close to GMK quality and consistently produce custom legends with a high degree of accuracy, I have absolutely no doubt they will draw some business away from SP.  Which might actually be a good thing for everybody...

Thanks for letting us know because we get hammered into ONLY thinking it's just SP or GMK to choose from these days but it looks like another contender is stepping up to the mark  :thumb: .

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #323 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 06:05:04 »
And don't forget Gateron. They're already doing some top quality dyesub and blank PBT sets and they seem to be very willing to work with the community. UKKeycaps has also started some hype with posting pics of some Devlin "Q" series caps that could become another supplier if things work out there.

HOWEVER, SP is still the only company offering SA profile or similar caps (tall, spherical tops) to the community at reasonable MOQ levels, although if UKKeycaps can get Devlin to make their "K" series available for GB's they'd be a good alternative (although they're all "Row 3" and I'm not sure they have all they keycap sizes for a normal board).

SP need to get those Row 4 Shift moulds made, though... the irritation level is slowly increasing the more fully sculptured sets I buy without Row 4 Shifts. Just this one GB is probably bringing in enough profit for them to easily cover the cost of making them.

I really hope they implement the "commit at this price point" feature in the "new" PMK. If they don't I won't be surprised, but it will confirm to me that they don't know what's best for their own business and that they're not really listening to the community.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 07:07:58 »

I really hope they implement the "commit at this price point" feature in the "new" PMK. If they don't I won't be surprised, but it will confirm to me that they don't know what's best for their own business and that they're not really listening to the community.
Totally agree with you, their site is really out of date and the PMK store is even worse. It doesn't show how many set available and some of the description are very confused. Also separate account is required for GB and PMK store.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:35:22 »

It's Massdrop. I feel safe predicting a delay before a drop starts.

In this case the delay is totally SP's end. SP always has delays, doesn't matter if you go through the PMK store or MD.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:38:08 »
And don't forget Gateron. They're already doing some top quality dyesub and blank PBT sets and they seem to be very willing to work with the community. UKKeycaps has also started some hype with posting pics of some Devlin "Q" series caps that could become another supplier if things work out there.

HOWEVER, SP is still the only company offering SA profile or similar caps (tall, spherical tops) to the community at reasonable MOQ levels, although if UKKeycaps can get Devlin to make their "K" series available for GB's they'd be a good alternative (although they're all "Row 3" and I'm not sure they have all they keycap sizes for a normal board).

SP need to get those Row 4 Shift moulds made, though... the irritation level is slowly increasing the more fully sculptured sets I buy without Row 4 Shifts. Just this one GB is probably bringing in enough profit for them to easily cover the cost of making them.

I agree. My irritation is slowly rising as well. I love SA caps, and really they are what keep me going back to SP sets, but the fact that they wont invest in their own business is a little ridiculous. Having the profiles needed for proper sets should not be the community's responsibility to fund, it should be the manufacturers. Like you, the new PMK store will really help me make judgements on how much they actually do care about the "enthusiast" community. If things don't change I am all for helping find a new place willing to work with the community more that can make sets happen in the same amount of time or less.

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 10:42:49 »
They're apparently working on row 4 2.25 & 2.75 molds already, someone emailed Melissa about it

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 11:48:07 »
They're apparently working on row 4 2.25 & 2.75 molds already, someone emailed Melissa about it

Yeah, if you are talking about what I'm thinking I was in that group that emailed about it  :thumb:

Still, its crappy that we have to figure out a way to fund it. Just doesn't feel like we should be responsible for that. A new font, I can understand that, but not keys to complete a standard profile.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:25:57 »

Yeah, if you are talking about what I'm thinking I was in that group that emailed about it  :thumb:

Still, its crappy that we have to figure out a way to fund it. Just doesn't feel like we should be responsible for that. A new font, I can understand that, but not keys to complete a standard profile.

Haha i am not the only one who thinks to fund row4 shifts for Signature Plastics. Thought of some "TINEFB" key project and some fun stuff to fund it.

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #330 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 14:46:10 »
With regard to the row 4 (shift key) 2.25u and 2.75u molds, here is Melissa Petersen's e-mail response to my inquiry about possible ways to partner-up with them on the cost of the molds:

John-
We are building these internally, it is just taking time. I don't have a
time frame for completion, but we are working on them.

^^ Quote from zslane on deskthority

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #331 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:32:27 »
With regard to the row 4 (shift key) 2.25u and 2.75u molds, here is Melissa Petersen's e-mail response to my inquiry about possible ways to partner-up with them on the cost of the molds:

John-

Have not heard this from her, but very good news to hear indeed. Thanks for the quote!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #332 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:38:34 »

John-

Great news. But i am quite sad, i guess row 4 shift will hit after Carbon production.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #333 on: Mon, 07 September 2015, 15:43:50 »
Yeah, but knowing SP i definitely wouldn't hold my breath for it.

You'll have it next run, if you so desire, i'm sure!  :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 14:35:05 »
Hmm... something was bothering me about this, reading the message through again, the "I don't have a time frame for completion" part felt kind of familiar somehow... And this is why:

What's the status on the shift key group buy? Will this still be a thing, or is there no more planning of it?

Patience.  As was explained, SP has to develop the tooling first.

From an email from Bob at SP 2 days ago: "We are tooling up the 1.25, 2.25 and 2.75 in SA Row 4. However tooling
won't be production ready for a couple months."

So I would only expect them early next year.

From here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62554.msg1542899#msg1542899

I can't believe I didn't remember that...

Anyhow, it seems they're just stalling for time and this is really starting to piss me off. Making two keycap molds doesn't take 9 months! That message was in the PuLSE SA thread in November last year.

I think it's time for all fully sculptured SA GB designers to boycott SP until they get these made. There needs to be some kind of pressure put on them or this will continue indefinitely...

I wish I'd realised this before this set ran to completion, as this is such a successful GB that it could have been just what's needed to push them into making them. Bollocks!
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 10:28:52 »
Hey Wlhlm!

Thanks for advice. I am very pleased. Perfect cuts. Everything went just perfect! Cant wait for my Carbon Planck.

110709-0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 20:10:48 »
Hey Wlhlm!

Thanks for advice. I am very pleased. Perfect cuts. Everything went just perfect! Cant wait for my Carbon Planck.

(Attachment Link)

Brilliant example of some choice laser cutting  :thumb: .

Offline Data

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:37:38 »
Hey T0mb3ry, did you guys end up offering any extra space bars in your group buy?  Just curious.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:40:04 »
Hey T0mb3ry, did you guys end up offering any extra space bars in your group buy?  Just curious.

I believe so

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 14:51:12 »
Yes we did. Dont know if you got updated SA listing, but here you are this might help you  :)
111060-0

Offline Data

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 16:24:13 »
Yes we did. Dont know if you got updated SA listing, but here you are this might help you  :)
(Attachment Link)

A 9 unit spacebar.   :))

Thanks.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #341 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 18:44:52 »
Hi! i'm Gnomobot.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

ENJOY!

Awesome renders, and welcome to GH.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 04:14:09 »
Hmm. I distinctly remember placing an order. I even posted about it in this thread. Yet I have no email from SP, MD or paypal confirming it. Can someone please tell me who they got email confirmation from so that I can double check my order went through?

Offline Data

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 08:56:18 »
Did you log into Massdrop and check?   :rolleyes:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 11:35:48 »
Hmm. I distinctly remember placing an order. I even posted about it in this thread. Yet I have no email from SP, MD or paypal confirming it. Can someone please tell me who they got email confirmation from so that I can double check my order went through?

You have to check your spam mails. Anyway if you paricipated on the drop you got today an info email about Carbon drop.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 23:57:23 »
Did you log into Massdrop and check?   :rolleyes:
Yes I did but I couldn't remember if the drop was through MD or through SP. I wanted to be sure.
Apparently I never submitted the order. Oops!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 03:16:19 »
I see there are already more than 500 requests to run the set again... and production is only happening now for the first run. Popular design! :D Very glad I got in on the first run.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #347 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 21:51:32 »
Is it still possible to order a set of these?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:39:41 »
Is it still possible to order a set of these?

No, but you can add your request to Massdrop to run the set again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon

You be able to find someone willing to sell you their set, though.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #349 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:18:15 »
Would like to share with you some Pictures of Carbon in Production. I got these photos from Melissa. Thank you Melissa  ;D
http://imgur.com/a/xhRPC
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:20:32 by T0mb3ry »