Author Topic: MSI X570 Tomahawk mobo  (Read 5118 times)

Offline jackrabbit

MSI X570 Tomahawk mobo
« on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:10:11 »
Is anyone here camping out waiting for this motherboard? It feels like custom keyboard deja-vu...from April to June I camped out on the KBDFans Discord waiting for the DZ65RGB PCB to restock because it previously sold out in under 30 minutes, and it was the last part I needed for my build. The suspense was intense. Now the same thing is happening with this motherboard: it's the last part I need for my build, and the hype surrounding the Tomahawk combined with the lack of availability is nuts.

FYI, the MSI X570 Tomahawk is basically the newest AMD X570 mobo in the $200ish range, and it is far and away the best reviewed one in that group. Not only does the Tomahawk have features every other popular board is missing at least one of--a front USB-C i/o port, the latest Bluetooth spec, heatsinks on both M.2 slots, more high-speed USB ports in general, etc.--but it absolutely destroys in VRM/thermal performance. In overclock testing, it showed temps equal to motherboards costing $700. It was supposed to be released back in April, was delayed, was announced on sale in May, still wasn't available, and throughout all of May and June, any pre-order or back-order sales went out of stock in seconds. Amazon and Newegg didn't even put up official product pages until midway through June.

I check newegg, amazon, B&H, cdw, and a couple other sites daily for restocks, but every time it comes back in stock, I end up discovering the ashes of the reddit thread where a handful of people scored one and everyone else complained that it went out of stock in minutes, was taken out of their shopping cart before they could even finish paying for it, all the things we are familiar with here in keyboard land. It would probably be smarter to think of other things for a month and check availability in July/August, but instead here I am writing about it looking for a conversation with strangers. Doh!
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: MSI X570 Tomahawk mobo
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:39:13 »
It looks dull, I like that - makes a change from all the flashy colourful boards, like they spent the budget on stuff that actually matters.

My go-to component shop has them available for preorder but it's UK pricing so nearer $300 than $200.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:41:00 »
I have the x570 MEG ACE. It is solid. As for overclocking, Ryzen 3xxx aren't THAT fun to play with... not much room for serious OC'n. I enjoy my board because of the massive memory OC'n I get to do and having PCIe 4.0 for my M2s and GPUs.

The b450 tomahawk is known as the best budget board in the line. I'd hope the new one is just as good.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:29:19 »
Welp, it just came back in stock!! I randomly checked the newegg page out of boredom just now, and did a full double-take when I saw Add to Cart. lol. Here it is if anyone wants one, get 'em while they're hot!

https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 17:41:15 »
I also like that it's not flashy-looking. I think it's really aesthetically pleasing, actually. But agreed, The performance and quality are what matter.

I was looking at the B550, and the only things that made me hold out for the X570 were the full PCIe 4 support and more USB ports. I haven't built a PC since 2012; for that one I got a SATA SSD and a regular HDD, so this time I'm going all M.2. I'm excited to see if there's a noticeable speed increase, but mostly I'm excited to have everything plugged directly into the motherboard without cables. It's amazing when you compare where we are now to just a few years ago.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 03:03:19 »
I love my ryzen. Hadn't built since 2500k. I'm doing school, gaming, folding, etc. Been super speedy and reliable.

Enjoy your system!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.