Author Topic: Apple TV / Boxee / Computer -->TV  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Mazora

Apple TV / Boxee / Computer -->TV
« on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 12:41:54 »
I'm about to buy a 50'' Television for Christmas. I would like to buy or build a computer (multimedia center computer) for my TV.

I've built my gaming computer 6 months ago and it was a success so I'm inclined to go ahead a build another computer !

My needs : youtube, I would like to have access to Video On Demand content (something similar to what I have at the moment with my cable distributor). Some gaming, like Skyrim.. I would also like to be able to record stuff but thats more a "nice to have".

My wife' needs: She wants to have access to her iTunes library. Also, she needs to have access to her favorite TV shoes and local TV channels.

So my question is: what kind of software/hardware would you advise me to get? Any recommendations ?

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2011, 12:44:32 by Mazora »
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline rvrebel

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 13:59:54 »
Look for a TV that can do most of that for you.. Youtube, DLNA Client, Netflix, Hulu, etc... I'm using a Samsung to handle it.

I've used a media center and the PS3. They work just fine but it's annoying switching between inputs, turning on devices, extra remotes, etc..
|| Filco Majestouch 2 || Rosewill RK-9000 || WASD Custom Layout ||

Offline Gerk

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 14:27:06 »
Quote from: ripster;460137
TV can't play Skyrim.
(Attachment Link) 33166[/ATTACH]

Get a Harmony One and the Logitech PS3 dongle doohicky and you're set.

PS3 is not going to give access to iTunes libraries (especially if there's DRMed content in them).  Only an AppleTV or a computer with iTunes (and her account info logged in) is going to give her access to that content, and I really don't suggest an AppleTV .. I'd honestly say build a machine (or buy one that's already built).

If you're gonna build, I suggest checking out some online resources ... Tekzilla has had a couple of pretty good HTPC builds.

http://revision3.com/tekzilla/rogers-hackintosh/best-htpc-build
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 15:45:37 »
Yeah, I just go with a PC. I have a Pentium G620, Zotac H67itx, 8gb ddr3 1333 machine for my htpc that I just got to replace an aging Atom/Ion. It works fantastic as an htpc, with some light gaming. If I were to add a better gpu it would be quite capable of much more games. The CPU/motherboard/ram upgrade only set me back $230. I could have done it for cheaper if I didn't need itx but i already had a nice Lian Li itx case.
I would suggest a similar h67 build, but in matx so you have another expansion slot for a tv card to watch and record your cable feed, step up the cpu to i3 / i5 if you think you'll need it. Add a gtx 530 - 570 depending on how much gaming you intend to do.

Offline Gerk

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 November 2011, 16:31:31 »
My HTPC is a Mac mini, but I don't game on it or play Blu-Ray on it. Do both of those with PS3.  Plex is pretty awesome though.
Rosewill RK-9000RE (reds) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (browns) | Leopold TKL (browns) | F21-7D "Mechanical Keyboard" (Blue Alps) | Filco Majestouch TKL (blues) | Goldtouch V2 x 2 | Matias Ergo Pro x 2 | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (browns) | Kinesis Freestyle Edge (reds)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 04:08:04 »
If you're going to use a computer, make sure the TV has a pixel-to-pixel mapping mode, or you'd have to deal with overscan and scaling. It makes texts look smeared and blurry. Free AA though ;)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 06:02:38 »
I think a PC would be a good option. It'll cover all the downloaded media/iTunes. Also you can stream some TV shows...

As for Local TV, I think you should just get a TV with a tuner in it.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Mazora

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 07:54:25 »
Thank you very much guys - I'll have a look at every suggestions !
RF-87UW

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 08:43:24 »
Many of the home theater enthusiasts where I work swear by the Mac Mini as a media server.

I've got a Roku box which handles 90% of the streaming content I want to see.  No YouTube though unfortunately, due to issues with Google.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 09:21:21 »
What do you guys think of a jailbreak (cheap) Apple TV ? http://www.totalhtpc.com/why-jailbreak-apple-tv/

if I can stream videos from my PC, that would be nice, but I guess I wouldnt be able to play Skyrim on a Apple Tv :P
RF-87UW

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 10:07:23 »
As I've used it more, I've really grown to love using a PC for my TV needs.  I can't really help with your specific requirements since my situation is different, but I just have to say that it's really nice having a computer hooked up to your TV.  It allows me to do awesome things like stream Starcraft 2 tournaments on my TV so that we can all watch and enjoy it just like a traditional sport.  I can also access my movies much more easily ever since I started storing them all on hard drives, and I don't have a ton of DVD's laying around my TV that I have to look through every time I want to watch a movie.  Storing a lot of movies and TV shows can start taking a ton of space really quickly though, so if you have a large collection keep that in mind and make sure to get a setup with plenty of storage.  Personally I recently had to upgrade and now have 10 terabytes of storage, but I think for most people look to have at least 2 terabytes.

One thing I've done recently that was nice is moving my PC into the basement (an attic would also work), and running a long cable from there to the TV.  Even a quiet computer still makes enough noise to be annoying, and now I don't have to worry about the PC noise messing with my TV viewing experience.  I'd highly recommend thinking about doing the same if it's possible in your situation.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2011, 10:10:23 by NimbleRabit »

Offline Gerk

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 11:33:45 »
Quote from: hashbaz;460616
Many of the home theater enthusiasts where I work swear by the Mac Mini as a media server.

I've got a Roku box which handles 90% of the streaming content I want to see.  No YouTube though unfortunately, due to issues with Google.

I love my mac mini setups (I have 3 of them in my house, no wait, 4 now!), with the built-in HDMI on the newer models it's a no brainer, one cable and you're done.  Again though if you're looking for the ability to play Blu-ray that's not an option (unless you install windows on it instead of OSX) and they are not great gaming machines ... but as stated before I have a PS3 for both of those things ;)

Quote from: Mazora;460641
What do you guys think of a jailbreak (cheap) Apple TV ? http://www.totalhtpc.com/why-jailbreak-apple-tv/

if I can stream videos from my PC, that would be nice, but I guess I wouldnt be able to play Skyrim on a Apple Tv :P

I wouldn't go that route.  It's a pain to keep it jailbroken and the latest version from Apple basically updates the OS for you whether you want it or not (which means the jailbreak constantly goes away and you have to wait for new jailbreaks and then apply them each time there's an update).  It's also pretty limiting for what types of video it can play.  I did the jailbreak thing with my ATV for a while to use a Plex client on it and it was ok at best, crappy at worst.  After two times that Apple pushed updates and it self-updated I haven't bothered to try again.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 13:17:37 »
i'd go pc, i mean if you want any sort of multi-use without the thought of being tied down, then pc is the way to go, every other device limits you in such a way, it'll be fustrating. Sure sitting on a couch using a keyboard and mouse to navigate isn't as ideal as a remote, but if you were to go PS3, then you'd have to use a controller to navigate around and that's just silly, back and forward with the trigger buttons? not to mention tried watching netflix on a xbox? lol controllers were designed to fall off of coffee tables, try it, try to keep a controller on your coffee table in one spot for more than a minute.

Last time i checked boxee had a client for the pc, so that all your media movies and stuff could be controlled from the a boxee interface (much like the old xbox 1 dashboard) and there was a free boxee app so you could use a ios device or droid device to control it through wireless or bluetooth i think.

I use a htpc, i don't want to be limited by silly devices like an appletv, but it is not as user friendly as sitting back and using a remote.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 13:18:50 »
Quote from: Lanx;460800
Sure sitting on a couch using a keyboard and mouse to navigate isn't as ideal as a remote

Are you kidding?  Sounds like an excuse to buy a Poker to me. :D

Offline Gerk

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 13:33:39 »
I use a remote to control Plex on my Mac mini just fine. $20 apple remote, works out of the box. Same remote that the ATV uses. Also have Bluetooth kbd and trackpad. Best of both worlds and zero fuss.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 14:06:16 »
I guess it is simply impossible for me to build my own "mac mini" computer... because of the form factor. I am also concerned about the "noise" ... and it wont be possible for me to have long cables...
RF-87UW

Offline Gerk

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 14:09:58 »
Naw. there's several PC cases out there with a similar form factor.  Check out the link I posted on the previous page to the Tekzilla video and jump to the spot where they talk about them, they show at least a couple of options.  My mac mini is pretty much silent btw ... it does have fans and they do kick in very occasionally but if you're watching a movie or a tv show, etc I almost never hear them.  They are not like tower case fans or anything ... as far as cables you don't need any for keyboard/mouse, just make sure whatever you build has bluetooth and use a bluetooth kbd and mouse.

Offline Mazora

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 November 2011, 14:31:42 »
You guys are so convincing that everytime I read apost I'm like "WOW IM SO MUCH INTO THIS, lets do it now !". Then another post comes in and I change my mind...

Thanks again, very nice advises
RF-87UW

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 10:58:59 »
Quote from: ripster;460834
PS3 + harmony one + Logitech converter + Netflix + Skyrim + NORMAL DLNA music directory hosted on any standard Windows PC = WIN!

Plus you can watch BluRay.  I recommend LOTR BluRay Extended Edition for Xmas.

And you can stick your AVCHD SD cards in for instant playback of the cat and kids eating spaghetti home movies in 1080p glory.

Then spend all the money you saved on bigass subwoofers.

Not too bad an idea, but PS3 is noisy as hell.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 11:24:09 »
Quote from: ripster;461296
Yeah, not as bad as Xbox though.

Yeah red rings are worse.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:04:52 »
I was going to agree with ripster's choice of PS3, but if you need to access iTune library... I build a HTPC, or even get urself a Mac mini would be better than Apple TV IMO.

Depending on your tech "saviness" and budget, there are a couple of pretty good small form factor enclosures for HTPC:

Silverstone FT03

and a number of Lian-li:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:09:18 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:06:32 »
Lol PS3 is pretty quiet imo, way quieter than the 360, but I have one of the launch 60GBs, so I can't say how the newer models are. I would go with Ripster's suggestion personally, it does as much as possible of what you want, and you can use programs like this to stream the music to the PS3, or just copy the files to the PS3 itself and be done with it. Skyrim is important, don't give that up for that lol. Nothing is going to give you local TV channels for free on your TV, unless you have some sort of preexisting service with Comcast where you can watch it on your computer... but you can watch it on your tv anyways- removing the need to use a HTPC to do it.

Bluetooth keyboards are nice since they're wireless, but there aren't many that are mechanical. The details I leave to you, but for $200, you have a blu ray player, game player, netflix and a great media center for music etc. Honestly I don't have TV at all and just watch Netflix when I feel like watching TV.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:31:13 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;461419
Lol PS3 is pretty quiet imo, way quieter than the 360, but I have one of the launch 60GBs, so I can't say how the newer models are. I would go with Ripster's suggestion personally, it does as much as possible of what you want, and you can use programs like this to stream the music to the PS3, or just copy the files to the PS3 itself and be done with it. Skyrim is important, don't give that up for that lol. Nothing is going to give you local TV channels for free on your TV, unless you have some sort of preexisting service with Comcast where you can watch it on your computer... but you can watch it on your tv anyways- removing the need to use a HTPC to do it.

Bluetooth keyboards are nice since they're wireless, but there aren't many that are mechanical. The details I leave to you, but for $200, you have a blu ray player, game player, netflix and a great media center for music etc. Honestly I don't have TV at all and just watch Netflix when I feel like watching TV.

I've got a pretty old PS3. It sounds like it's dieing when it's reading disks.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 November 2011, 14:47:25 »
It probably is then. Mine is whisper silent almost always. The fan will sometimes pick up under heavy loads but when that happens there are usually very loud sound effects covering it up lol.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 03 December 2011, 12:09:49 »
btw i just bought it, super easy checkout w/paypal or amazon, just enter in the coupon code, prolly receive it 12-19, there's an older one for 6bucks less on the same page but that one doesn't have backlight, and voted worse overall, last time this deal was done, bought up in droves.