Author Topic: GMK on north facing NK Silk?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline mrln.bllmnn

• Marlon Bellmann
GMK on north facing NK Silk?
« on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 09:07:17 »
hey, i just joined the GMK Dots groupbuy but then realized that my switches are north facing and i had some interferences and terrible sound with the keycaps from an old Cherry G81-3000 on my old MX Blues.
Is the stem of NK Silk high enough to not get interferences with Cherry profile or are there other ways to increase the height of the keycap without getting a new PCB?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: GMK on north facing NK Silk?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:13:11 »
The stem is not the issue the issue is that the key-caps hit the housing. Cherry key-caps are made for south facing switches the only fix is getting a new PCB where you can install the switches south facing.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline mrln.bllmnn

• Marlon Bellmann
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 11:14:22 »
I tried sanding down my already soldered out MX Blues with a dremel, after removing just a bit of the housing it seems to work just fine for both R2 and R3 of the old cherry keycaps. It might not be the best solution, but now they sound the same no matter how the cap is oriented.

Offline Suds

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 May 2021, 18:50:17 »
There's another trick where you just jam a little piece of paper into the stem of the keycap. This raises it up slightly, so it doesn't collide.