Author Topic: Does a KBC Poker need a moogle kit?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Bar81

Does a KBC Poker need a moogle kit?
« on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 04:45:36 »
I just bought a KBC Poker and am thinking about getting new keycaps but I can't figure out if it needs it moogle kit.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Does a KBC Poker need a moogle kit?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 09:12:52 »
I don't have a poker, but you only need a "moogle kit" if you're putting cherry doubleshots, or WYSE, etc. on it. If you (for example) get some PBT keycaps from Qtan's vendio store, then you should have what you need.

Offline Bar81

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 09:41:40 »
So if I want to buy keycaps from a group buy, I will need a moogle kit?

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:07:54 »
You only need a moogle kit if you want to use original cherry, wyse, or dolch ds sets from donor boards that have odd layouts or off center stemmed caps.

Most group buy sets (like Red Alert or CCnG) should have all the keys necessary for a Poker.  Pretty much any 87/104 set of caps like from ebay/feng/qtan/imsto should have all the keys necessary.  A Poker is basically just the num row/alpha section off of a TKL, aka a TKL minus the Esc row, Insert-Home-PgUP 6pack, and arrow keys.

Offline Bar81

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:19:17 »
You only need a moogle kit if you want to use original cherry, wyse, or dolch ds sets from donor boards that have odd layouts or off center stemmed caps.

Most group buy sets (like Red Alert or CCnG) should have all the keys necessary for a Poker.  Pretty much any 87/104 set of caps like from ebay/feng/qtan/imsto should have all the keys necessary.  A Poker is basically just the num row/alpha section off of a TKL, aka a TKL minus the Esc row, Insert-Home-PgUP 6pack, and arrow keys.

Thank you, that was the confirmation I needed. 

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:22:19 »
One nice thing about the Poker is that the keys are all standard size/profile.  No oddly-shaped ones like some of the other compact keyboards.
Russ

Offline Bar81

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:38:32 »
Thanks, that was what I was afraid of.  I measured and it seemed fine but I wanted to confirm before I throw down 80 bucks on a set I really want (missed the GB).