Author Topic: LED's instead of diods?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Yeitso

LED's instead of diods?
« on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 05:28:52 »
Hi!

Im trying to figure out a way to add individual leds on each key and have them light up only when the key is pressed.

I've googles around a bit but have not found a definitive answer so I'm asking here.

How do i do this? Is it as simple as changing out the diods for leds, and if so what type of led should I use?

Offline Simplicity

Re: LED's instead of diods?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 05:35:49 »
It depends on what keyboard you're using it on. If it's one of the mass produces keybaords (CM, Razer, Corsair etc.) then your only hope is that it already has that feature by default or you get a after market micro controller that works with your keyboard's PCB. If it's a custom build keyboard then it's dependent on the software used to power it. So basically, no. It's not as simple as changing out the diodes for leds (which are still diodes btw).

Offline Yeitso

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 05:43:56 »
Im building my own Phantom (not using pcb). What software and controller should I use to get this to work? Does the Teensy controller have enough power to light the LED?

Offline Simplicity

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 05:49:26 »
Im building my own Phantom (not using pcb). What software and controller should I use to get this to work? Does the Teensy controller have enough power to light the LED?

I'm not really well versed in the capabilities of the open source keyboard software available, but I'm pretty sure you won't have enough pins to power that sort of LED matrix. Maybe you could power a basic LED matrix where all the keys are either on/off and then have a few select keys (num lock, caps lock etc.) have toggle LEDs but the matrix you'd like is a bit more complex than that so I can't help you there.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 12:58:25 »
there is not enough current flowing through the switches to light an LED. It is possible to flow enough current through them to achieve this (it has been done in the past for LED cherry MX keychains) but this will very much decrease the durability of the switch. (It would also require some hardware modification with transistors and the like and still might not work properly with the teensy microcontroller)