Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 125582 times)

Offline Polymer

Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 06:51:14 »
I can relate to the sore knuckles. I had been using a Das Ultimate with browns for 2.5 years. At the end of a long day at my keyboard, my knuckles ached. I mean some days it was downright painful.
because you were doing it wrong.

Either way, you will have less joint pain coming from Cherry MX.
wrong. it's not necessary for a typist to bottom out on cherry mx. on the contrary, it's impossible to avoid bottoming out on topre, unless it's 30g. that's why a person with finger joint issues (and who can type properly on cherry mx switches) will experience less pain on cherries. or no pain at all. especially on the brown switch.

This is true..you don't have to bottom out on Cherry MX but it is basically not possible to not bottom out on 45/55g Topre.....

That said, I think you lose speed when you're trying to not bottom out..the lighter touch means you can't just hit and move on as quick as possible....It doesn't mean you're typing slow but you definitely lose some  speed...

Offline iri

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 07:10:27 »
^ though generally true, it's not like that on clears.

but yeah, my typing on the realforce is definitely fast. and painful. and pleasant, lol
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chill1217

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 08:25:43 »
I can relate to the sore knuckles. I had been using a Das Ultimate with browns for 2.5 years. At the end of a long day at my keyboard, my knuckles ached. I mean some days it was downright painful.

wrong. it's not necessary for a typist to bottom out on cherry mx. on the contrary, it's impossible to avoid bottoming out on topre, unless it's 30g. that's why a person with finger joint issues (and who can type properly on cherry mx switches) will experience less pain on cherries. or no pain at all. especially on the brown switch.

this sounds fishy.  are you floating while typing at max speed though?  i would think it is near impossible not to bottom out when you're typing at 100+ WPM

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 09:55:38 »
Every damn time. What is it with these threads?

Offline Amarok

« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:03:30 »

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline iri

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:31:20 »

this sounds fishy.  are you floating while typing at max speed though?  i would think it is near impossible not to bottom out when you're typing at 100+ WPM
it depends on the switch. on clears -- no, i don't. on reds -- i do from time to time, but it's a light touch, and it happens only when typing really fast. on 45g topre i, like everyone else, bottom out every time.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:49:26 »

I just wish it didn't have to degenerate into such a spite-fest.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 05:59:26 »

I just wish it didn't have to degenerate into such a spite-fest.

We're nerds passionate about keyboards. Sometimes I laugh at myself because of this keyboard fetish I've developed. You do realize how off-the-chart nerdy we are right lol? Even other nerds laugh at us. To say it another way, picture some Star Wars nerds that like to attend conventions dressed up like Darth Vader or something. That's bad enough. But then we're the nerds that obsess over something like the gear shift knob on the Millennium Falcon.

And...a little trolling from time to time is fun.   :p

Offline Saturn

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 06:17:32 »
We're nerds passionate about keyboards. Sometimes I laugh at myself because of this keyboard fetish I've developed. You do realize how off-the-chart nerdy we are right lol?

Keyboard nerds are pretty nerdy indeed, but it's interesting that all the other nerds look to them for real information about mechanical keyboards.

It's pretty telling that a significant minority of gamers who are looking for a good keyboard but otherwise have no interest in keyboards would rather spend their money on a Filco than on one of the many keyboards which are marketed as "gaming keyboards", like the Razer Blackwidow.  It's a good sign, I think.

Passion is good, but being overzealous about anything is neither constructive nor necessary.  On another forum I belong to, advocating for a product that you've had good experiences with is encouraged, but whenever you try to make it seem like the be-all and end-all of products that nothing else can compare to, you get quickly told to tone it down.  Attitudes like that almost invariably result in flame wars.  Plus, any sufficiently zealous praise for a product becomes indistinguishabale from advertising.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 March 2013, 06:22:06 by Saturn »

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 08:48:32 »
Well, I've never used a Topre board but ever since discovering them I have wanted to.  The feel of the keyboard is one of the most important things to me, especially since I spend 8+ hours a day on a computer.  Now I'm starting a pure coding job, so I decided I'm done using these stock Dell office keyboards at work and I'm going to suck it up and buy the best of the best for myself at work.  I found that 87U Silent used (but apparently like-new) for only $210 and that seemed like an exceptional deal to me!  So, in a day or two I'll be joining the Topre club and I'll post my impressions here! 

Offline Amarok

« Reply #210 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 09:59:40 »
Well, I've never used a Topre board but ever since discovering them I have wanted to.  The feel of the keyboard is one of the most important things to me, especially since I spend 8+ hours a day on a computer.  Now I'm starting a pure coding job, so I decided I'm done using these stock Dell office keyboards at work and I'm going to suck it up and buy the best of the best for myself at work.  I found that 87U Silent used (but apparently like-new) for only $210 and that seemed like an exceptional deal to me!  So, in a day or two I'll be joining the Topre club and I'll post my impressions here!

That's an awesome price. I hope you like it. :eek:
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Amarok

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 15:56:33 »
I got the 55g today and I like it quite a bit better than the 45g. I'm going to use it for a week or so before I decide on which one I'm going to keep and going to sell. After playing with typeracer for a little while it's looking like the 45 g is going to get sold soon.  :))
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 17:36:21 »

True to form, this turned out to be a silent 87U in all white.  It came in mint condition with all of the original accessories...  I think I just got lucky! 

Anyway, first impressions of using Topre switches is very positive.  The solidness of how they feel can't be understated, it's evident from the moment I started typing why these boards go for a premium.  My typing speed seems unaffected, and I like having a keyboard that I can hardware swap (via dipswitch) the control and caps lock key.  All in all, this is obviously a great purchase for a job that involves excessive typing and coding.  The only problem now is that I don't know how I'm going to live at home without one.  I love my CM Storm Trigger (Brown MX), but this Realforce board is a whole new level. 

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 23:28:33 »

True to form, this turned out to be a silent 87U in all white.  It came in mint condition with all of the original accessories...  I think I just got lucky! 

Anyway, first impressions of using Topre switches is very positive.  The solidness of how they feel can't be understated, it's evident from the moment I started typing why these boards go for a premium.  My typing speed seems unaffected, and I like having a keyboard that I can hardware swap (via dipswitch) the control and caps lock key.  All in all, this is obviously a great purchase for a job that involves excessive typing and coding.  The only problem now is that I don't know how I'm going to live at home without one.  I love my CM Storm Trigger (Brown MX), but this Realforce board is a whole new level.

Congrats on your new board. I love my new HHKB with all 45g switches (I've had it for a week and a half), and next to it is my 87U variable silent. Personally, I prefer the lighter keys on the 87U. I'm definitely in the minority around here amongst the Realforce guys. Most prefer the 45g or 55g versions. The point here is that everybody is different. It's not based on finger strength either. I spent many years in construction before moving into IT. At times when I shake hands with someone, I can hear their hand bones pop. But I've found that lighter keys allow me to use a more relaxed, softer typing style, which I much prefer. My speed suffers about 5wpm. But I'm less prone to bottom out my keys and my joints don't ache at the end of a long day.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that typing on MX browns is less painful for them than Topre switches. I have found the opposite to be true. Maybe it's just differences in typing style. But my fingers thank me every day for my Topre boards.

IMHO, you just bought the best keyboard available today at any price.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 March 2013, 04:00:00 by Macsmasher »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 03:20:38 »
Today I almost broke 100 WPM on my HHKB at work - almost caught up to my Cherry browns speed.

Feel completely justified now ;D I know I'll eventually break my record... (117wpm on HPE87Browns) (before you start taking jabs, I know I could probably get to a higher WPM with a different layout, but I like qwerty.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 March 2013, 03:22:58 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #215 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 04:44:38 »

Congrats on your new board. I love my new HHKB with all 45g switches (I've had it for a week and a half), and next to it is my 87U variable silent. Personally, I prefer the lighter keys on the 87U. I'm definitely in the minority around here amongst the Realforce guys. Most prefer the 45g or 55g versions. The point here is that everybody is different. It's not based on finger strength either. I spent many years in construction before moving into IT. At times when I shake hands with someone, I can hear their hand bones pop. But I've found that lighter keys allow me to use a more relaxed, softer typing style, which I much prefer. My speed suffers about 5wpm. But I'm less prone to bottom out my keys and my joints don't ache at the end of a long day.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that typing on MX browns is less painful for them than Topre switches. I have found the opposite to be true. Maybe it's just differences in typing style. But my fingers thank me every day for my Topre boards.

Lol...I work at a construction firm and every field employee I've ever met shakes your hand like a boa constrictor.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline ktownhero

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 07:02:04 »

Thanks.  The variable switches don't seem to bother me at all, I don't even notice.  Without a doubt, my fingers will suffer less fatigue on the 87UWS than with my Cherry Browns (dampened with o-rings too).  My typing speed doesn't seem to have changed with it, but my accuracy is improved.  I thought my Storm Trigger was a solid board (and it is), but compared to the 87U it feels like a chitter-chattery mess.  I dunno, I know everybody has their opinion and there's a LOT of debate about switches but to me it just seems to be a no-brainer: Topre all the way.  I'm going to end up having to get one for home -- which I don't mind... but I made the mistake of telling my fiance how much these keyboards cost :)  Then again, I bought this one for probably about $50-$80 less than I will be able to resell it for, so I'll be patient and see if I can find another deal like that in the near future.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #217 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 14:53:45 »
I just received an early birthday present from my GF...a Realforce 87u 55g uniform (white).  Techincally, it's preordered...but whatevs....new RF yo!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 14:54:59 »
I just received an early birthday present from my GF...a Realforce 87u 55g uniform (white).  Techincally, it's preordered...but whatevs....new RF yo!

Awesome gift, and even awesomer gf for getting it for you.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 16:44:40 »

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #220 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 17:33:13 »

hahaha. Now that's a good woman!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 19:04:00 »

Thanks.  The variable switches don't seem to bother me at all, I don't even notice.  Without a doubt, my fingers will suffer less fatigue on the 87UWS than with my Cherry Browns (dampened with o-rings too).  My typing speed doesn't seem to have changed with it, but my accuracy is improved.  I thought my Storm Trigger was a solid board (and it is), but compared to the 87U it feels like a chitter-chattery mess.  I dunno, I know everybody has their opinion and there's a LOT of debate about switches but to me it just seems to be a no-brainer: Topre all the way.  I'm going to end up having to get one for home -- which I don't mind... but I made the mistake of telling my fiance how much these keyboards cost :)  Then again, I bought this one for probably about $50-$80 less than I will be able to resell it for, so I'll be patient and see if I can find another deal like that in the near future.

Yup. That's what most fans of Topre say. It's just, they are content and happy with their keyboards and so spend less time fighting on online boards. All the negativity you hear about Topre boards seems to be from a small contingent of folks who seem hell bent on trolling the **** out of Topre keyboards and its fans. Hence, this thread. 8^)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 19:17:08 »
Conclusive proof that Topre is superior. Clearly the anticipation of oneness with cup rubber made me type slower on MX Blues. This is a joke, although this really is my Typeracer graph and the arrows are accurate.

Realforce 87u 55g

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 20:17:30 »
MX blues refuse to work for unfaithful owner. I can understand.

Offline emusan

• My Personal Site
« Reply #224 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:18:11 »
Just purchased my first HHKB Pro 2 from Elite Keyboards (dark grey, non-printed, because I hate the look of printing on keys) :D :D :D. Now just to wait for it to arrive :(
Das Keyboard Ultimate Model S (Blue) | HHKB Pro 2 (Still in the mail :( )

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:23:56 »
Just purchased my first HHKB Pro 2 from Elite Keyboards (dark grey, non-printed, because I hate the look of printing on keys) :D :D :D . Now just to wait for it to arrive :(

You will soon be enjoying the feeling of oneness with cup rubber.

Offline emusan

• My Personal Site
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:26:42 »
Just purchased my first HHKB Pro 2 from Elite Keyboards (dark grey, non-printed, because I hate the look of printing on keys) :D :D :D . Now just to wait for it to arrive :(

Yup! Can't wait! Now that I'm going to be in the club can I be let in on where that started? XD  :p found it >.>

on a side note, does EK usually do one of those automated order confirmations? Or do they just give you the paypal receipt? I haven't received anything from EK yet >.>
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:51:57 by emusan »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #227 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:27:47 »

Yup! Can't wait! Now that I'm going to be in the club can I be let in on where that started? XD  :p

on a side note, does EK usually do one of those automated order confirmations? Or do they just give you the paypal receipt? I haven't received anything from EK yet >.>

It usually takes a few days to get any kind of order confirm from EK. 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline emusan

• My Personal Site
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:28:18 »
It usually takes a few days to get any kind of order confirm from EK.

Thanks! Good to know :)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 00:21:17 »
I don't know if anybody else here will agree with me, but I just wanted to say that I enjoy the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber. 

And I have one more thing to say: 

And this might be a bit controversial, so I'm just going to come out and say it:  I love Topre.   :))
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 00:31:27 »
I don't know if anybody else here will agree with me, but I just wanted to say that I enjoy the good feeling of oneness with cup rubber. 

And I have one more thing to say: 

And this might be a bit controversial, so I'm just going to come out and say it:  I love Topre.   :))

This is how I feel when using topre:

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 00:41:19 »
What do Topre stabilized keys look like underneath? I guess I've never looked.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 00:47:53 »
It looks kind of like the Cherry stabilizers but instead of a plus sign it's more of a |

I think the only stabilized key is the space bar

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 22:08:00 »
I also just got my first 55g board. Previously a 45g 87U user. I was on the fence for a long time about this purchase, but so far I LOVE THE 55G REALFORCE 87U.

Now I have to decide whether to sell the 45g (white). My new keyboard is black, so I was thinking of swapping the keys because I love a high contrast white/grey key on black look... but then it might be harder to sell the white one.
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline Trev

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 22:11:38 »
Key-swap, keep both, take photos.

There. Sorted that out for you.  :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 23:12:34 »

This^^^^

Offline Amarok

« Reply #236 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:23:57 »
I also just got my first 55g board. Previously a 45g 87U user. I was on the fence for a long time about this purchase, but so far I LOVE THE 55G REALFORCE 87U.

Now I have to decide whether to sell the 45g (white). My new keyboard is black, so I was thinking of swapping the keys because I love a high contrast white/grey key on black look... but then it might be harder to sell the white one.

Sell me just the white keys.  :rolleyes:
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:48:19 »
Damnit Amarok, me first! ;)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:51:54 »
Damnit Amarok, me first! ;)

Fine, but only because your posts convinced me to get the 55g and reach Topre nirvana.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 00:56:59 »

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 13:44:01 »

Sell me just the white keys.  :rolleyes:

Nice try! Those are the ones I want the most! :)
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 13:58:28 »

I will definitely comply with your suggestions as far as swapping keys and taking pics. Whether I keep the 45g is still to be decided, however.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 14:11:01 »
This thread has convinced me that I need moar Topre keyboards.

To quote the Hon. Phil Gramm (R., retired), former Texas Senator, "I have as many [Topre keyboards] as I need, but I don't have as many [Topre keyboards] as I want." Springfield News-Leader; News-leader.com; 5/14/2008.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 16:29:17 »

To quote the Hon. Phil Gramm (R., retired), former Texas Senator, "I have as many [Topre keyboards] as I need, but I don't have as many [Topre keyboards] as I want." Springfield News-Leader; News-leader.com; 5/14/2008.

Haha, that was a great article. I loved the part where he said he wanted to get an HHKB for his horse stables. If you have the money, why not?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 17:32:04 »

Haha, that was a great article. I loved the part where he said he wanted to get an HHKB for his horse stables. If you have the money, why not?

LOL.  Them good ol' Texas Republicans, you gotta love 'em, the rascals.  :p  They are [keyboard] fanatics!

Offline Trev

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:59:19 »

I will definitely comply with your suggestions as far as swapping keys and taking pics. Whether I keep the 45g is still to be decided, however.
Do some side-by-side comparisons too. Measure typing speeds on each ;)

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 21:37:48 »
Interesting. Ducky announced they are also a Topre agent and reseller.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ducky-Keyboard/117547488320354

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 21:39:42 »

ducky topre? hmmmm

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 04:53:28 »

uhhhh. Damn. I guess they saw all the profit going to EK (enthusiasm from GH has DEFINITELY benefited EK :))

This will be interesting indeed.....

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 18:32:36 »
Got my first topre board...definitely interesting. I got a HHKB Pro2 Type-S, now I'm curious to see what 55g feels like.