Author Topic: Varmilo LED Help!  (Read 2824 times)

Offline ScottieLK

Varmilo LED Help!
« on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:20:13 »
Hello all,

I just received my first semi-serious keyboard from Massdrop and the led under the 5 key isn't lighting. When I press on the led itself with moderate force it will light. I contacted Massdrop and was told I can return for a refund, or get another keyboard that doesn't have the specific led lighting I originally bought.

My question to you is, do I return it to Massdrop and wait for another drop? Or should I void some warranties and resolder the LED myself?

Appreciate the help!
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:22:30 by ScottieLK »

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline codywanks

Re: Varmilo LED Help!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:44:49 »
Hello all,

I just received my first semi-serious keyboard from Massdrop and the led under the 5 key isn't lighting. When I press on the led itself with moderate force it will light. I contacted Massdrop and was told I can return for a refund, or get another keyboard that doesn't have the specific led lighting I originally bought.

My question to you is, do I return it to Massdrop and wait for another drop? Or should I void some warranties and resolder the LED myself?

Appreciate the help!

That's a relatively simple fix; all you need to do is reflow the solder (do add a tiny bit extra as well for good measure).

I received a board from MD with a wonky stabilizer earlier this year. I wrote them an e-mail to inform them of the problem, and I stated that my preference was to repair it myself.

The customer support officer actually encouraged me to go ahead with the fix, while assuring me that the warranty would not be voided. They even gave me $5 in store credit for my trouble.

So yeah, you can try doing what I did, IMHO it's a much bigger hassle to ship stuff back to MD anyway. However, do bear in mind that VA87 cases are a pain in the a** to open (I'm assuming that's the board you got?)

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 16:00:14 »
Hello all,

Appreciate the help!

That's a relatively simple fix; all you need to do is reflow the solder (do add a tiny bit extra as well for good measure).

I received a board from MD with a wonky stabilizer earlier this year. I wrote them an e-mail to inform them of the problem, and I stated that my preference was to repair it myself.

The customer support officer actually encouraged me to go ahead with the fix, while assuring me that the warranty would not be voided. They even gave me $5 in store credit for my trouble.

So yeah, you can try doing what I did, IMHO it's a much bigger hassle to ship stuff back to MD anyway. However, do bear in mind that VA87 cases are a pain in the a** to open (I'm assuming that's the board you got?)

Yup thats the one. I'll probably open it up and take a look tonight. you say it shouldn't be too difficult with appropriate care?

(I have relatively minor but still successful soldering experience)

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline codywanks

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 16:08:07 »
Yup thats the one. I'll probably open it up and take a look tonight. you say it shouldn't be too difficult with appropriate care?

(I have relatively minor but still successful soldering experience)

Make sure you get the go-ahead in writing from MD first before you open your keyboard up.

Make sure they state clearly that you attempting the fix on your own will not void the warranty. They might treat these issues on a case-to-case basis, i.e. they might not give you as much leeway as they gave me.

And yes, applying pressure to LEDs to make them light up = simple reflow job 90% of the time.

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 16:25:28 »
Thanks! I just sent them an email about that.

Varmilo VA87MR

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 16:34:16 »
Another angle would be to ask for a partial refund for having to fix it yourself.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ScottieLK

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 17:41:25 »
Another angle would be to ask for a partial refund for having to fix it yourself.

Good call... I'll wait to hear back from them and see if there's any way to swing that. If not I'll just be sure not to mess up soldering

Varmilo VA87MR