Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 265454 times)

Offline bcbishop

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #650 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 20:26:48 »
Just got mine, and the white finish is indeed gorgeous! Two quick questions though:

1. Is anybody else's case missing the two long rubber strips / feet that were on the last round?

2. I'm no doubt going to feel stupid once I hear the answer, but what are the white plastic washers for, and what are the little components with the yellow dots (they're loose in a bag for one of my PCBs, and part of a strip in the other)?

Show Image

1.  I got the feet.

2.  The SMD components are white LEDs for backlighting the Winkey and far right column.

3.  The washers are for use with screw in stabs, so that you don't short any pads.

Thanks fer.real!

Offline cijanzen

[GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #651 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 22:39:36 »
Doesn’t do nearly enough justice. I’m going to take pictures again tomorrow when I have some daylight.

Getting the battery working was a bit of a pain but it’s charging and works without power. Gotta figure out how the Bluetooth actually works though!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #652 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 22:51:16 »
Doesn’t do nearly enough justice. I’m going to take pictures again tomorrow when I have some daylight.

Show Image

Getting the battery working was a bit of a pain but it’s charging and works without power. Gotta figure out how the Bluetooth actually works though!
Nice! I remember that vendor posting on r/mm about using old style phone cables. It looks good!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #653 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 23:35:08 »

Show Image

There isn't a pairing mode or anything; as soon as you switch on the bluetooth with the switch between tab and Q, it should become discoverable.

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #654 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 23:38:00 »
Some issues:

On the BT PCB, it appears that there is a hole drilled out where the pad is (pictured, blue arrow) for the "|\" switch. Is this somehow intentional? It appears that I would have to bridge it to the closest pad there.

Non-BT PCB, it appears that two pads are drilled into, and half there, again, what's up with that and will it eff things up?

That hole in the pad is for the pcb-mount stabilizers for ISO enter key position. The stabilizer orientation is reversed between BT and non-BT PCB, so the hole sizes and positions near that pad are different. This shouldn't screw anything up, per-se, but does seem like it will make a hot-swap build a bit harder :/

The bottom hole on your non-BT PCB is for the leg of a PCB-mounted switch to fit through.

Didn't affect hotswap as much as I thought it would, there's enough contact there to make a rigid connection. I've swapped switches about 4 times already, because I'm indecisive like that.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #655 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 23:51:59 »
Has anyone noticed a reasonable number of poorly anodised spots on their board? Mine just arrived and from a distance it looks great, but up close there are a number of spots where the anodisation is a bit iffy.. I understand this will never be perfect, I just want to get an idea of other people's results - white case here if it makes a difference. Will take photos when I get home

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #656 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 23:56:29 »
Closely inspected my own white case and it looks pristine. There were some spots on it when it arrived, but they rubbed off with just a wet wipes. Might want to have a go at that and see it any 9f the blemishes are just dirt from shipping/handling.

Offline cijanzen

[GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #657 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 00:01:07 »

Show Image

There isn't a pairing mode or anything; as soon as you switch on the bluetooth with the switch between tab and Q, it should become discoverable.

I actually flashed it with some of the Bluetooth options on ydkb and got it paired to my phone just fine!

This is a pretty cool board if I do say so myself.

Edit: hmm seem to be having trouble getting the board into pairing mode.  Not sure what’s going on.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2019, 00:59:41 by cijanzen »

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #658 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 00:45:04 »
Got my board today from DHL!! The color (blue grey) is a bit lighter than I thought it would end up being and there's a few imperfections with the anodization, but I'm still super happy with the final product. I'm hoping to find some time during this week to lube switches so I can build it this weekend  :cool:
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline theo313

« Reply #659 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 01:27:08 »
Some issues:

On the BT PCB, it appears that there is a hole drilled out where the pad is (pictured, blue arrow) for the "|\" switch. Is this somehow intentional? It appears that I would have to bridge it to the closest pad there.

Non-BT PCB, it appears that two pads are drilled into, and half there, again, what's up with that and will it eff things up?

That hole in the pad is for the pcb-mount stabilizers for ISO enter key position. The stabilizer orientation is reversed between BT and non-BT PCB, so the hole sizes and positions near that pad are different. This shouldn't screw anything up, per-se, but does seem like it will make a hot-swap build a bit harder :/

The bottom hole on your non-BT PCB is for the leg of a PCB-mounted switch to fit through.

Didn't affect hotswap as much as I thought it would, there's enough contact there to make a rigid connection. I've swapped switches about 4 times already, because I'm indecisive like that.

It will definitely be able to work wit just a short bridge. I have all of my sockets in, but haven't even soldered them in, yet all exept that key, and z work without solder. I will solder them in later, but wanted to test it out. Very easy to program, BT connected right away.

Two things:

1) How do I disable or sabilize LED? The rainbow cycle is annoying.
2) The Z key does not have a hole big enough for the middle part of the switch to go through. How dangerous is it to drill the hole a little larger?

Offline PM_Your_Switches

« Reply #660 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 01:28:52 »
I love it. The white came out really well. There were a couple black specs on the outside, but they wiped away easily.

I guess I don't understand the RGB controls though. The top key toggles on/off and the key below that does nothing. I thought that key changed the modes?

220425-0

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #661 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 03:10:49 »
Some issues:

It will definitely be able to work wit just a short bridge. I have all of my sockets in, but haven't even soldered them in, yet all exept that key, and z work without solder. I will solder them in later, but wanted to test it out. Very easy to program, BT connected right away.

Two things:

1) How do I disable or sabilize LED? The rainbow cycle is annoying.
2) The Z key does not have a hole big enough for the middle part of the switch to go through. How dangerous is it to drill the hole a little larger?

I love it. The white came out really well. There were a couple black specs on the outside, but they wiped away easily.

I guess I don't understand the RGB controls though. The top key toggles on/off and the key below that does nothing. I thought that key changed the modes?

(Attachment Link)

You have to program in LED controls from ydkb, as they arent included by default.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 04:00:56 »
Hi guys. I am a bit sick so I won't be able to reply very soon to both Facebook fanpage messages and replies this thread.
It's quite taking up my energy to check replies one by one.
But if you got any problem and you can't find a solution in thread, contact me via FB messages and email.
These two ways will get you a quicker reply.

As most of you had got your board.
Please do test your PCB by following these steps before starting your build (make it as a habit is better to every custom PCB):

1. Every PCB should include a main board, a daughter board and a flat cable.
    Plastic washers are for screw in stabilizers to prevent shorting.
2. Check out flashing guides here: http://bit.ly/2W9tSet
    and flash PCB with your hex file once. That way you can fully test your PCB and don't have to ask what's the function for every key.
3. These two guides were for PCB of last round. There are some changes for bettering it in this round.
    I will try to make a new one and tell you guys where are differences for you to play with.

Thanks. ;)

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #663 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 05:34:18 »
I almost didn't find my titanium badge in the packaging

Very sneaky

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #664 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 08:18:08 »
Anyone with a BT PCB that can help me out?

I flashed mine with a layer and keys that toggle BT/USB, BT Pairing, BT stop pairing, and BT forget.

I was able to pair it to my iPhone once but am not able to pair it to any of my devices now including the iPhone originally paired with.

The board is working fine otherwise and I can tell it’s going into BT mode when I use the toggle because it won’t work on my computer when it’s plugged in but in BT mode.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #665 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 09:33:49 »
Has anyone noticed a reasonable number of poorly anodised spots on their board? Mine just arrived and from a distance it looks great, but up close there are a number of spots where the anodisation is a bit iffy.. I understand this will never be perfect, I just want to get an idea of other people's results - white case here if it makes a difference. Will take photos when I get home

yes, on my board there are several spots they don't even remove with dedicated metal cleaner (dark red)

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #666 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 09:53:05 »

Oh man, I'm really digging how mine came out. Just waiting on massdrop to give me my HP's so I can build this thing.

Offline theo313

« Reply #667 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 10:53:13 »
Anyone with a BT PCB that can help me out?

I flashed mine with a layer and keys that toggle BT/USB, BT Pairing, BT stop pairing, and BT forget.

I was able to pair it to my iPhone once but am not able to pair it to any of my devices now including the iPhone originally paired with.

The board is working fine otherwise and I can tell it’s going into BT mode when I use the toggle because it won’t work on my computer when it’s plugged in but in BT mode.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Hmm. I didn't program any BT commands in the flash. It auto showed up on my PC BT options after I flashed it and turned it on.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #668 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 12:04:05 »
I was excited to get this in the mail a couple of days ago but there are quite a few marks that can't be removed and seem to be scuffs/scratches.

any advise on this OP?

Offline JDragon

« Reply #669 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 12:08:44 »
Any suggestions for batteries?

Offline theo313

« Reply #670 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 13:57:12 »

I used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAX9XYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, its riiiight on the cusp of being too fat. I cut up an old medical card and glued it to the top of it so it doesn't get poked by the PCB.

It works, but some people would prefer a flatter profile I'm sure.

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #671 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:25:30 »
Is there different type of connectors on different pcb's?

I have the BT-version and my USB-connector is connected with a classic connector/cable, but I see some have ribbon/flat cables?

I also got an on/off switch separately, I guess it's the BT power switch.
Some have received plastic washers for screw-in stabs, I didn't.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #672 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:39:55 »
Is there different type of connectors on different pcb's?

I have the BT-version and my USB-connector is connected with a classic connector/cable, but I see some have ribbon/flat cables?

I also got an on/off switch separately, I guess it's the BT power switch.
Some have received plastic washers for screw-in stabs, I didn't.

The standard PCB does have a different connector than the Bluetooth PCB, that is correct. You have to solder the switch into the PCB. Don’t forget to do that before putting the plate and switches in!

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #673 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 16:12:56 »
Will there be CA66 round 3 run?

Offline theo313

« Reply #674 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:36:58 »
Ah man. I'm getting a lot of double types on some letters nnnnnnnn ;;;;;;;; Damnn mann

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #675 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:47:53 »
guys did you all use ydkb to configure it?

Offline theo313

« Reply #676 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:56:07 »

There are instuctions on the ydkb.io website.
Download the Reflash tool under the Download tab
Configure the keyboard under CA66 or CAD66 depending on WKL or HHKB style
Download the Hex File
Drag the Hex file into the reflash tool
It will tell you to unplug the keyboard, do so
Plug it in and hold escape while it begins to flash
Boom its done

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #677 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 17:56:57 »
I did. Be aware that the link to ydkb configurator defaults to the non BT PCB firmware. You need to choose CAD66 for the BT board.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #678 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 18:33:15 »
How many sip and milmax sockets are needed per switch?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #679 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 20:19:52 »
2 of each per switch. Buy 5 extra of each for if you mess some up.

Offline Reicheous

« Reply #680 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 20:36:29 »
Space is not working on mine. Is this the issue? It looks like I’m missing the “T4” component.

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #681 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 20:38:06 »
Yep, you're missing a diode there. There should have been spares included that you can solder on with care. Just make sure it's orientation is correct, as they are polarized .

Offline portbaron

« Reply #682 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 20:47:54 »
Built the first one, Orange ALPS.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #683 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 21:23:01 »
Built mine up with orange alps as well! Anyone have any issues with programming though? After flashing I'm getting a device malfunctioned error.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #684 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 21:47:58 »
Wanted to share some actual good shots of my built board. I'm quite happy with it and the colour I think is a bit more purple? But it's definitely growing on me!
220525-0
https://imgur.com/a/bTtVE3v

Offline portbaron

« Reply #685 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 21:51:34 »
Built mine up with orange alps as well! Anyone have any issues with programming though? After flashing I'm getting a device malfunctioned error.
Make sure you made a hex file for the CAD66 not the CA66. Also, hold the esc down until it's done flashing. Fixed it for me.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Vizir

« Reply #686 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:19:48 »

just to be sure, i'm looking at the following for switches:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=%200305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0%20
2 per switch

and this for the LEDs:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=%20310-43-164-41-001000%20
2 per led

right?

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:23:01 »

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #688 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:24:56 »
Make sure you made a hex file for the CAD66 not the CA66. Also, hold the esc down until it's done flashing. Fixed it for me.
Ah, that was it. Was using CA66. Thanks!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:50:25 »

just to be sure, i'm looking at the following for switches:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=%200305-2-15-80-47-80-10-0%20
2 per switch

and this for the LEDs:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=%20310-43-164-41-001000%20
2 per led

right?
If you don't mind waiting

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/bwvhza/gb_millmax_sockets_7305_06040611/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

oh, i linked the wrong one. i don't mind waiting and will join the GB. what about the SIP sockets?

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #690 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 00:28:03 »
Did anyone else who ordered dark red receive an extremely dark purple/maroon color with a completely different back side color?  :-\

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

SA royalty for color comparison

Please send us a mail or PM. Let's see what we can do for you. :thumb:

Space is not working on mine. Is this the issue? It looks like I’m missing the “T4” component.

If you need the component, please send us a mail or PM.
Or you can remove one from an unused key to fill that position.

I was excited to get this in the mail a couple of days ago but there are quite a few marks that can't be removed and seem to be scuffs/scratches.

any advise on this OP?

Send us a mail or PM with photos. Thanks. ;)

Most 3.7v Li batteries will do the work. Just be careful of size of pin head.

That's the first ALPS build we got here! Naisu :thumb:

Try to flash the board again and replug the cable. Make sure you are using the right hex file.

Wanted to share some actual good shots of my built board. I'm quite happy with it and the colour I think is a bit more purple? But it's definitely growing on me!
(Attachment Link)
https://imgur.com/a/bTtVE3v

That's adorable. This color is quite a hard one to control, and sometime it's color can go either way under different light sources.
But glad you liked it.  ;)

Offline Sythe

« Reply #691 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 00:52:36 »
When will the next batch of boards ship out?
I got the tracking on 1/6 and DHL still haven't got the package yet.
I keep checking it and no progress, so still impatiently waiting... lol

Would have been nice to get it before this weekend as I would have had the long weekend to build it. :(

Offline portbaron

« Reply #692 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 01:12:20 »
2nd board built. Lubed 65g red pandas.
I kind of like the maroon.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline jariss

« Reply #693 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 02:31:16 »
I am happy I finally have my board but am also a little surprised with the amount of nicks/scratches/ano marks. I am also missing one of the plate screws. Don't know if this was normal or within the realm of quality control but it seems like a little more than normal.

https://imgur.com/a/jBlmX8e

The caps are not on switches; they are just placed for a mock up.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #694 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 02:50:16 »
I am happy I finally have my board but am also a little surprised with the amount of nicks/scratches/ano marks. I am also missing one of the plate screws. Don't know if this was normal or within the realm of quality control but it seems like a little more than normal.

From what I've seen the nicks/scratches are more easily visible on the coloured boards. Also the ano mismatch between case/base is present on other colours.

Whether this is considered standard or acceptable I can't comment, this was my first GB. From the photos I've seen, some of them I would not be happy with.

Any missing parts will be sent to you.

I would email PlayKeyboard directly with photos and ask them the question (about scratches/nicks/imperfections).

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #695 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 04:19:09 »

You might want to check the little bag of spare parts for screws; I recieved a few extra screws in my package along with the RGB LEDs and their associated diodes for the macro column, as well as a JST power connector.

Offline b4d_tR1p

« Reply #696 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 05:06:00 »
someone sell or trade his ca66?

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/CC d-(--)>---x s:-(--)>--- a C++++(++++)>++ UBLC++++(+++)$>++ P++ L+++++(+++++)>+++++ E---(---)>--- W+++(+++)>+++ N+++ o++ K-- w O M++ !V- PS+++(+++)>+++ PE+++(+++)>+++ Y+++(+++)>+++ PGP++ t+ 5 X+ R tv- b++ DI++++ D+++ G++++ e+++ h- r++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #697 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 06:04:15 »

Millmax dont fit this pcb homie.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #698 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 06:08:03 »

You will find from the post further up that they fit r2

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #699 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 06:10:27 »

It does for the Bluetooth one