Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 265907 times)

Offline lakeboredom

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #700 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 06:13:47 »
Oh good lookin' out guys. I tested on the regular R2 pcb, didn't think to try the bluetooth.

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #701 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 07:31:18 »
If anyone has a BT PCB they can sell, please hit me up.
I know there might be extras after all shipping occurs but I’m not sure when that’ll be and I need a pcb.
I will pay over retail for it. Just need one at the moment.
Thanks and enjoy. 

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #702 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 19:36:42 »
Did anyone with a BT keyboard reflash their firmware and still have BT working?

I can’t get my Bluetooth working. Light is on so I know the board has power but it doesn’t show up in Bluetooth settings on any of my devices.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #703 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 19:46:38 »

I can’t get my Bluetooth working. Light is on so I know the board has power but it doesn’t show up in Bluetooth settings on any of my devices.
Did you create your hex file using the CAD66 (not CA66) option on the ydkb configurator website?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #704 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 19:47:16 »

Did you create your hex file using the CAD66 (not CA66) option on the ydkb configurator website?

Yep, definitely used the CAD66 option

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #705 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 19:49:16 »

Yep, definitely used the CAD66 option
Hmm. I can't help sorry, I haven't got a battery to start testing my BT pcb

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #706 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 21:54:57 »
Magnetic Screws  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Lormania

« Reply #707 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 22:17:35 »
Got my board yesterday but was finally able to open it today. I got to say I am disappointed. I have many defects in my anodization. Here is the link to the imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/7bn2ld5

They are so obvious when you look at the board and I can feel some of them as I run my finger over. I have an R1 Grey that I love and it is flawless, but this one I don't think I can use because the defects are so obvious that all I do is stare at them. Barry, is there anything you can do to correct this? I know others have defects as well. This would be like a C stock board, yet I paid for an A stock. How does this even pass QC? Would cerakoting help cover these? I fear the two near the badge would still be there since the basically feel like cuts that they tried to fill in with something before anodizing.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #708 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 01:10:18 »
Got my board yesterday but was finally able to open it today. I got to say I am disappointed. I have many defects in my anodization. Here is the link to the imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/7bn2ld5

They are so obvious when you look at the board and I can feel some of them as I run my finger over. I have an R1 Grey that I love and it is flawless, but this one I don't think I can use because the defects are so obvious that all I do is stare at them. Barry, is there anything you can do to correct this? I know others have defects as well. This would be like a C stock board, yet I paid for an A stock. How does this even pass QC? Would cerakoting help cover these? I fear the two near the badge would still be there since the basically feel like cuts that they tried to fill in with something before anodizing.

Sorry for the disappointment.
Please PM me along with this album link and your order number.
Let's see how we can do the aftersale service for you.

Offline EvilemX8

« Reply #709 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 02:18:44 »
Is anyone else's PCB randomly disconnecting for a split second at times? I hear the USB disconnect noise but my board works like right after. I am using the BT PCB, and a DIY ZapCables cable I made. The cable works with my 1800mini just fine, never disconnects, so I don't think its the cable.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #710 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 08:51:31 »
Is anyone else's PCB randomly disconnecting for a split second at times? I hear the USB disconnect noise but my board works like right after. I am using the BT PCB, and a DIY ZapCables cable I made. The cable works with my 1800mini just fine, never disconnects, so I don't think its the cable.

Please check 3 things for us:
1. Flat cable is well connected or not.
2. Your power supply is stable or not. Especially when RGB strip is turned on.
3. If your device or home wires are not grounding properly, you can try to stick some tape around USB C connector.

Good luck!

Offline theo313

« Reply #711 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:26:10 »
My Bluetooth was working perfectly until I connected a different keyboard to the computer. When I went to plug the CA66 back in it is not recognizing the BT connection. Even redoing the whole BT connection process and nothing.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #712 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:28:38 »
My Bluetooth was working perfectly until I connected a different keyboard to the computer. When I went to plug the CA66 back in it is not recognizing the BT connection. Even redoing the whole BT connection process and nothing.

Yeah I can’t get my BT working either. Paired once to my iPhone and then left it. Now it doesn’t show up on any of my devices.

What’s odd is I downloaded a Bluetooth scanner app and it comes up on there but with minimal data.

Offline bcbishop

« Reply #713 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:34:54 »
If everyone hasn't done so already, I'd recommend giving your PCBs a thorough once-over to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

After reading about the issue Reicheous had, I checked out the two in my order and sure enough -- there's a missing component on one of mine as well. Good times.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:36:37 by bcbishop »

Offline Jonathan0903

« Reply #714 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 19:10:44 »
If everyone hasn't done so already, I'd recommend giving your PCBs a thorough once-over to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.

After reading about the issue Reicheous had, I checked out the two in my order and sure enough -- there's a missing component on one of mine as well. Good times.

Show Image

There are extra diodes included, just in case this happened during shipping and handling, so you can solder one on. Just make sure it's in the right orientation and everything should be fine.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #715 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 19:46:43 »

Yeah I can’t get my BT working either. Paired once to my iPhone and then left it. Now it doesn’t show up on any of my devices.

What’s odd is I downloaded a Bluetooth scanner app and it comes up on there but with minimal data.

Show Image

Please make sure you clear connection fully when trying to connect another device from an original one.
The keycode "Clear paired device" is still under construction. There are some bugs waiting to be fix at the moment. So don't use it now.

If you are using iOS devices, sometimes you can't search CAD66 on another iOS device apart from the already connected one.
That's the common problem we know now when you are using a bluetooth product which you don't have to install driver for it.
You can try install another free bluetooth software like "Adafruit Bluefruit LE Connect" to connect CAD66.

These are situations and solutions we know now for connecting issues.
We'll update more if we found others.

Show Image

There are extra diodes included, just in case this happened during shipping and handling, so you can solder one on. Just make sure it's in the right orientation and everything should be fine.

Thanks for all the help mate. ;)

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #716 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 20:09:39 »

Show Image

I didn't get any spare diodes in with mine..
Wondering if anyone can compare their non-BT board to mine. It looks like there is a component missing but it's not near a switch hole like the rest do I'm not sure if it's just a mis-print.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2019, 20:11:27 by Lyle88 »

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #717 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:19:22 »

Show Image

Wondering if anyone can compare their non-BT board to mine. It looks like there is a component missing but it's not near a switch hole like the rest do I'm not sure if it's just a mis-print.
Show Image

That position was just without any component. Don't bother as long as your PCB works correctly. :)

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #718 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:19:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

My regular PCB is the exact same in that spot and it works fine.

Also, for anyone who encounters a Bluetooth issue, I downloaded the adafruit Bluetooth app which then suggested a firmware update for the Bluetooth module and I figured what the heck. After that it paired to my Mac! Still hoping it will work long term but this is progress.

Thanks for the tip Barry

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #719 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:27:49 »
Actually, I still can’t connect to my iOS devices and the only way to reconnect on my Mac if I forget the device is to open up the adafruit app and connect to it that way.

At least that means there’s hope?

Offline architones

« Reply #720 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 23:14:10 »
Board arrived and built yesterday!

In spite of it having a couple case flaws, I'm in love with how the whole build turned out.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #721 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 23:32:19 »

In spite of it having a couple case flaws, I'm in love with how the whole build turned out.

Show Image

Is that hago oblivion? I wish my oCo Honeywell red accents were that dark!
Edit: looks incredible!

Offline architones

« Reply #722 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 23:38:08 »

Show Image

Thanks! 😁 It's 7bit's Round 6 keycaps actually! Took forever to get but it was definitely worth it

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #723 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 23:43:47 »

Show Image

Thanks! It's 7bit's Round 6 keycaps actually! Took forever to get but it was definitely worth it
Wish I had known about the community when 7bit was running those GBs. I was about a year too late, now the markups are crazy!

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #724 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 05:24:29 »
can someone educate me on what these are for? especially the white ribbon

Thanks in advance.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #725 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 05:36:56 »
can someone educate me on what these are for? especially the white ribbon

Thanks in advance.
The bag with the ribbon cable is for non-BT PCB. That ribbon cable connects the main PCB to the daughter board with the USB connection on it. The other bag is for the BT PCB

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #726 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 05:43:58 »
thank you kind sir  :-*

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #727 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 06:55:32 »
8 down. 59 to go

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #728 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:21:10 »
Edit: Turns out I am stupid and the battery does not, in fact, fit in this case.

Waiting on my DHL order to get picked up, but in the mean time, here's the battery I got. Digi-Key p/n 1908-1377-ND. The clearance is a bit tight, but some fish paper on the back of the PCB will solve that concern. I'll update when the build is done, and once I see how many months it will run on this beefy 6Ah boy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2019, 16:56:48 by Oatburner »

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #729 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:31:30 »
Waiting on my DHL order to get picked up, but in the mean time, here's the battery I got. Digi-Key p/n 1908-1377-ND. The clearance is a bit tight, but some fish paper on the back of the PCB will solve that concern. I'll update when the build is done, and once I see how many months it will run on this beefy 6Ah boy.

Show Image

That is a big batty indeed

Offline pengers

« Reply #730 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 12:36:24 »
PlayKeyboardTW, are you still working your way through the support emails?

Emailed on Monday but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #731 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:02:53 »
Does that marking on the middle of the caps lock led indicate negative on the left?

Offline fer.real

« Reply #732 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:53:36 »
It looks like the pad on the left is for the cathode.  I believe the symbol on the board is this.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DeRmLKGU6pAzUeNG6
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:55:44 by fer.real »

Offline Choobies

« Reply #733 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 15:02:28 »
My CA66 came with these defects.  The dark spot above the badge is moderate, the light smear in the top middle of the case is more apparent and severe.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #734 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 15:45:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

Is it possible to put Kailh hot swap sockets on this board??

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #735 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 15:45:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Is it possible to put Kailh hot swap sockets on this board??

No

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #736 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:00:02 »
I thought not but the pic I quoted has some on the right hand column. I'm ordering milmax sockets anyway but thought the Kailh sockets might be easier to deal with. Ah well. Thanks.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #737 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:15:35 »
Has anyone else has an issue with two of the plate holes being a fraction too small to fit the switch fully in?

I am quite disappointed that I just spent over an hour lubing 70 roselios then building the board to find that two switches are not fully in, and cannot go in.

Worse than that is, I ended up having to ruin one switch to get it out because the angle it was stuck on prevented me from being able to press the tabs in.

Photos to show the angle the switch gets stuck on.  #1 and #2 are both too small to fit switches properly.
The photo that says same switch fits fine in the 1u hotswap hole but not in either of the 2 shown.
Edit: spelling

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:24:02 by Lyle88 »

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #738 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:23:48 »
I thought not but the pic I quoted has some on the right hand column. I'm ordering milmax sockets anyway but thought the Kailh sockets might be easier to deal with. Ah well. Thanks.

That picture is of the non-Bluetooth V2 pcb. They made the right column hotswap, but only the right column.

Pcbs need to be designed for kailh sockets from the beginning, they’re not something that can be retrofitted. They require a footprint that has pads on the back side of the board and non-plated holes cut right where the usual switch mounting holes would be.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #739 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:27:14 »

That picture is of the non-Bluetooth V2 pcb. They made the right column hotswap, but only the right column.

Pcbs need to be designed for kailh sockets from the beginning, they’re not something that can be retrofitted. They require a footprint that has pads on the back side of the board and non-plated holes cut right where the usual switch mounting holes would be.

Got it! Thank you.

Offline ninjapirate

• @ninjapirate9901
« Reply #740 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 20:59:46 »
Finally got a chance to put my purple R2 together.

HFO/HFR work so well on this case. Only complaint I have is that the bottom cover is a very, very tight fit... I have to smack the case to get it to come loose.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #741 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 21:22:13 »
Has anyone else has an issue with two of the plate holes being a fraction too small to fit the switch fully in?

I am quite disappointed that I just spent over an hour lubing 70 roselios then building the board to find that two switches are not fully in, and cannot go in.

Worse than that is, I ended up having to ruin one switch to get it out because the angle it was stuck on prevented me from being able to press the tabs in.

Photos to show the angle the switch gets stuck on.  #1 and #2 are both too small to fit switches properly.
The photo that says same switch fits fine in the 1u hotswap hole but not in either of the 2 shown.
Edit: spelling
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Please cut off PCB mounting legs if you are feeling switches tight to get in position.
Sometimes this may happen due to mounting holes on PCB, or plate switch holes narrowing a bit after anodizing.
And this happens most on transparent switches by their housing material. They are thicker than black housing Cherry switches.

PlayKeyboardTW, are you still working your way through the support emails?

Emailed on Monday but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks!

Yes. We will definitely check them if mails aren't sent into spam mail folder by accident.
You can PM or send mail again to us to make sure we see your inquires. ;)

Show Image

HFO/HFR work so well on this case. Only complaint I have is that the bottom cover is a very, very tight fit... I have to smack the case to get it to come loose.

Looks awesome! :cool:
Sorry about the tightness of back plate. Sometimes it happens. :-X

Offline Choobies

« Reply #742 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 21:31:32 »
Can anything be done about the case anodization defects?  :(

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #743 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 21:40:22 »
Can anything be done about the case anodization defects?  :(

Please send us a mail or PM along with your order number.
Thanks. :)

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #744 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 10:42:53 »
Is there or will there be any way of running QMK on the Bluetooth PCB?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #745 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 11:17:38 »

I’m talking with Mech Merlin about porting it over. I might send him my PCB so he can help us with that!

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #746 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 11:23:47 »

I’m talking with Mech Merlin about porting it over. I might send him my PCB so he can help us with that!

Ooh this would be awesome :)

Offline theo313

« Reply #747 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:41:56 »

Show Image

The Purple is damn hot! Semi regret just going basic black, but the black is so well done too.

Offline theo313

« Reply #748 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:43:42 »
Basic black with Space Cadet on Outemu silent Skys.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #749 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 08:44:26 »
Basic black with Space Cadet on Outemu silent Skys.

That basic black sure is pretty