Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)  (Read 265834 times)

Offline 5inn3d-

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit Round 2 (Shipping Now)
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:24:21 »
Anyone have an extra plate they’d be willing to sell? I have a ton of verified trades on mechmarket.
Let me know. Thanks a lot.

I sent you a PM, I have an extra plate you can have for retail.

let me know if he decides not to take it off you. :)

Offline EvilemX8

« Reply #801 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 12:37:34 »
If anyone can figure out how to make the .dwg plate file into a .stl file for 3D printing (shouldn't be hard) I can 3D print out a few 4mm plates

Offline Taques

« Reply #802 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 15:24:51 »
I need some Pro tips if anyone can help. I have just checked to see if I can fit switches on each corner of my brass plate with the BT PCB but once I get the switches in on one side, the switches on the other side are about 1-1.5mm out of alignment. I have tried flexing the plate a bit to get the switches into the PCB but had no luck. Hoping for some suggestions as I don't really want to take a file to this plate too...
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm having the exact same problem with the brass plates. Have to say that I am pretty disappointed.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #803 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 17:30:07 »
I need some Pro tips if anyone can help. I have just checked to see if I can fit switches on each corner of my brass plate with the BT PCB but once I get the switches in on one side, the switches on the other side are about 1-1.5mm out of alignment. I have tried flexing the plate a bit to get the switches into the PCB but had no luck. Hoping for some suggestions as I don't really want to take a file to this plate too...
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Are you aligning the PCB upside-down?  Looking at the first photograph, you might be.  The RGB LEDs should be facing up, through the long rectangular slit in the plate, not downward.  I don't have a BT PCB, only standard, but looking at mine the RGB LEDs are oriented facing up and key labels are also on the top side.  SMD soldered stuff like controller and such should be facing under the PCB.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 19:40:15 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Are you aligning the PCB upside-down?  Looking at the first photograph, you might be.  The RGB LEDs should be facing up, through the long rectangular slit in the plate, not downward.  I don't have a BT PCB, only standard, but looking at mine the RGB LEDs are oriented facing up and key labels are also on the top side.  SMD soldered stuff like controller and such should be facing under the PCB.

Yes, that is the correct orientation. That's a BT PCB, the LEDs are soldered to the back of the pcb and shine through cutouts in the pcb. If you look at the reflection in the brass, you can see the silkscreen for the switch footprints showing that it's the correct orientation.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #805 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 21:08:03 »
I see, the non-BT PCB has that in reverse.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline zqs1qiwan

• Dreams need money
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 21:48:56 »
 :D :D :Dfinally

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #807 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 21:53:51 »
Well, I got mine... including 2 factory-installed scuffs on the top and a missing screw! This matte anodizing seems relatively fragile.

It's a handsome keyboard otherwise.

Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline jariss

« Reply #808 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 01:06:10 »
Mine looked similar to yours and was also missing a screw. It's still a nice board other than the scuffs/missing items.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #809 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 14:28:21 »
What stabs are people using? I finally got all my pieces together and realized I didn’t buy stabs.  :( PCB mount or plate mount?

Offline lukelex

« Reply #810 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 15:05:09 »
Always pcb mount.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #811 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 18:31:54 »
Always pcb mount.

Yep ok. Only reason I had that in mind was I accidentally bought plate mount and now have a set laying around. Anyway, bought a set of GMK screw in stabs from 1up.

Offline lukelex

« Reply #812 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 19:02:24 »
Always pcb mount.

Yep ok. Only reason I had that in mind was I accidentally bought plate mount and now have a set laying around. Anyway, bought a set of GMK screw in stabs from 1up.
You should by from Faxe. He has the cheapest gmk screw in stabs in the world.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #813 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 20:08:23 »
I just picked up some cherry screw ins from novelkeys. They have the 2u ones for $2. And that way you don't have to buy the spacebars one if you don't need.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #814 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 22:41:21 »
Just made another building & flashing guide for Bluetooth PCB. :)
Link: http://bit.ly/2X2cJsp

We know some of you are encountering disconnecting issue, and we have some boards with BT PCBs awaiting for us to assemble.
Please give us some time to test them to see if we will meet same problems.
But we guess it's more about the grounding problem of buildings. Since the connector is a bit touched with wall of connector opening.
I myself did face the same issue when using Tex Yoda 2 as well, which it's connector is in the same situation.

And here are some photos of a purple case with SA Grand Budapest. We assume some of you might remember this combo showing in first round. ;)
221736-0221738-1221740-2
221742-3221744-4221746-5

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #815 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 22:42:31 »
Well, I got mine... including 2 factory-installed scuffs on the top and a missing screw! This matte anodizing seems relatively fragile.

It's a handsome keyboard otherwise.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Please contact us for after sale service. Thanks. :)

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #816 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 23:10:48 »
Since BIOI G60 BLE is going to be running QMK/VIA and uses the same BTLE module as the CAD66, will the CAD66 be getting ported to QMK now as well?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98821.msg2707635#msg2707635

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #817 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 01:18:04 »
Since BIOI G60 BLE is going to be running QMK/VIA and uses the same BTLE module as the CAD66, will the CAD66 be getting ported to QMK now as well?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98821.msg2707635#msg2707635

No, they are from different maker.
It will be great if anyone can do it since we do not design PCBs ourselves.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #818 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 01:29:05 »

We know some of you are encountering disconnecting issue, and we have some boards with BT PCBs awaiting for us to assemble.
But we guess it's more about the grounding problem of buildings. Since the connector is a bit touched with wall of connector opening.
I myself did face the same issue when using Tex Yoda 2 as well, which it's connector is in the same situation.

And here are some photos of a purple case with SA Grand Budapest. We assume some of you might remember this combo showing in first round. ;)
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Quick update here. We just had a talk with PCB maker.
The reconnecting might be caused by some preceding checking process of keyboard.
He had modified the process and just updated the newest firmware to the site.

If you are facing this problem, please remake a hex file and flash it into your keyboard again.

Thanks. :thumb:

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #819 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 02:44:52 »
Hello
Are all orders already shipped? I can't wait to build my CA66 but I need this Alps plate file to order a cutout.I apologize for my impatience :)

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #820 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 05:44:43 »
Hello
Are all orders already shipped? I can't wait to build my CA66 but I need this Alps plate file to order a cutout.I apologize for my impatience :)

Here are two plates of this round: http://bit.ly/2J60v8e

Sorry for the waiting. :)

Offline Wojciech

« Reply #821 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 09:06:36 »

Offline King4477

« Reply #822 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:11:57 »

The reconnecting might be caused by some preceding checking process of keyboard.

If you are facing this problem, please remake a hex file and flash it into your keyboard again.

Thanks Barry. I have updated to a new hex file with new firmware, but I am still experiencing disconnects and reconnects. It happens every 30 minutes or so, which I feel is less frequent than it had been prior to updating to the new firmware, but nonetheless it is still occurring, unfortunately.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #823 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 11:07:38 »
Why did I not see this in time ....... :(   This is the nicest looking board ever.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline King4477

« Reply #824 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 12:05:56 »

Thanks Barry. I have updated to a new hex file with new firmware, but I am still experiencing disconnects and reconnects. It happens every 30 minutes or so, which I feel is less frequent than it had been prior to updating to the new firmware, but nonetheless it is still occurring, unfortunately.

After a series of disconnects, my laptop has now decided that this keyboard is a touchpad. Still works on my desktop, for now.

Offline topherrehpot

« Reply #825 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 16:09:55 »

Damn that's hot! Where do you get the RGB square thingy for lighting up the Esc key?

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #826 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 17:18:28 »
Why did I not see this in time ....... :(   This is the nicest looking board ever.
I'm considering selling mine, but I'm in AU so if you're in the US postage might be a killer

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #827 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 04:45:29 »
I'm considering selling mine, but I'm in AU so if you're in the US postage might be a killer

I am in the UK and would pay the postage.  What was your order (you can PM if you wish)
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #828 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 04:50:31 »

I am in the UK and would pay the postage.  What was your order (you can PM if you wish)
I got a white hhkb version, titanium badge, regular & bt pcb's, silver alu plate & brass plate.
My plates weren't cut properly so I'm waiting on replacements.
I've also built it with sakurios and cbf desoldering them so will be selling with.
Once I know what's happening with the plates I'll make a decision and pm you to see if you're still looking

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #829 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 04:52:18 »

I got a white hhkb version, titanium badge, regular & bt pcb's, silver alu plate & brass plate.
My plates weren't cut properly so I'm waiting on replacements.
I've also built it with sakurios and cbf desoldering them so will be selling with.
Once I know what's happening with the plates I'll make a decision and pm you to see if you're still looking

Great, I will wait on that message.

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #830 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 07:55:47 »
Running into the same disconnecting issue as others here. Any suggestions on solving the possible grounding issue in case the firmware fix doesn't work?

Also the right column appears to have died, will be checking the connections this weekend to see if I can fix that. At least most of the keys still work after unplugging/replugging! Will be very disappointed if I have to (re)build this board for a fourth time.

Offline Eclips4x

« Reply #831 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 01:10:59 »
I tried everything I could on my end, I had to just buy another PCB from /r/mechmarket...

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #832 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 02:21:46 »
I got mine a few weeks back, but IRL work kept me busy. Finally was about to build and was checking the pcb before soldering , I notice that one of the less had come off, likely in shipping .

https://ibb.co/w0Zcn9w

Is this fixable ? I have not soldered any smd components in the past .
Anyone has any words of advice ? Should I be asking for a pcb replacement ?

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #833 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 02:24:50 »
I got mine a few weeks back, but IRL work kept me busy. Finally was about to build and was checking the pcb before soldering , I notice that one of the less had come off, likely in shipping .
Show Image

It's difficult to see in the photo but it looks kinda like it has pulled off the pads with it. Can you take a closer photo?

Offline Vizir

« Reply #834 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 14:37:32 »
finally got the components i needed to get this board going. but i'm having problems with 3 keys. the ";" and the "-" and "=" keys don't work. tried manually joining the pads using a wire and still nothing. do i have a bad pcb?

edit: nvm. looks like the site is not registering: http://test.ydkb.io/

the keys are working
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2019, 14:40:42 by Vizir »

Offline nill

« Reply #835 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 12:33:24 »
Anyone else having an issue with the hotswap navigation cluster? Some of my key presses don't register -- feels like the hotswap is kinda uneven. I'd honestly prefer to just be able to solder in the switches...

Otherwise, board feels, sounds, and looks dope.
CA66 // HHKB // TINA-C // FC980M

<< LINEARS OR BUST >>

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #836 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 13:39:26 »
Show Image

It's difficult to see in the photo but it looks kinda like it has pulled off the pads with it. Can you take a closer photo?

Yeah, that definitely pulled pads off with it. 1 at the very least, you can see part of a trace still attached to one of them

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #837 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 04:24:28 »
For people having the disconnecting/reconnecting issue, I added a piece of wire between the port and the case as shown in this M65-A post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86756.msg2611640#msg2611640 and it seems to have solved the issue! I used electrical tape instead of masking tape. My right column is also working again after unplugging and replugging the switches into the hotswap sockets. So far so good!

Offline EvilemX8

« Reply #838 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 08:42:59 »
For people having the disconnecting/reconnecting issue, I added a piece of wire between the port and the case as shown in this M65-A post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86756.msg2611640#msg2611640 and it seems to have solved the issue! I used electrical tape instead of masking tape. My right column is also working again after unplugging and replugging the switches into the hotswap sockets. So far so good!

Wow, so one end of wire touching daughter board USB C port, other end touching part of case, and then tape it down?

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #839 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 08:57:25 »

So the shield isn't grounded? smh.

Wow, so one end of wire touching daughter board USB C port, other end touching part of case, and then tape it down?

pretty much. you can solder one end of the wire to the port housing and then trap the other end under a screw on the housing and that would be a little more solid. taping a wire in place isn't the greatest idea, something with a slightly more solid mechanical connection is better, as it would give a more solid and stable electrical connection.

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #840 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 02:47:51 »
Yeah I'm definitely planning on making the connection more solid, just wanted to test out if it worked first. Still working flawlessly!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #841 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 03:09:20 »
Any update on replacement parts?

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #842 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 05:45:54 »

+1

Offline lukelex

« Reply #843 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 11:14:54 »

+1

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #844 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 15:52:54 »

Or any extras for sale, or the replacements promised to be made available to R1 buyers?

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #845 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 17:08:25 »
I'm also curious about status. My two orders have been marked as not yet picked up by DHL for about a month now.

Offline MisterKnife

« Reply #846 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 10:47:19 »
Not sure why but my usb is reconnecting once every so often.. tried multiple cables... anybody run into this?

Offline EvilemX8

« Reply #847 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 10:56:03 »
Not sure why but my usb is reconnecting once every so often.. tried multiple cables... anybody run into this?

Refer to above comments, attach wire from USB port to any part of the case.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #848 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 04:59:08 »

+1

We are still working on backup parts to be done at the moment.
Don't worry, we will finish all the services. :)

I'm also curious about status. My two orders have been marked as not yet picked up by DHL for about a month now.

Please pm us with your order number for finding the problem. :)

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #849 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 10:36:45 »
Show Image

Yeah, that definitely pulled pads off with it. 1 at the very least, you can see part of a trace still attached to one of them

I pm’d playkeyboardtw, and they said they would ship me an led strip that can be soldered in to the board.
Waiting for a spare pcb too...