Author Topic: Are these key caps compatible with Cherry MX switches?  (Read 5984 times)

Offline wabewawa

Are these key caps compatible with Cherry MX switches?
« on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 11:01:05 »
Specs:
Beige Key Cap.
Heavy-duty beveled top design. For use with the above
keypad or pushbutton switches or any other keypads
or switches that use standard "Cherry Type"
3/4" sq. cruciform caps.

Cap size: 0.715" sq. x 0.315".
Cruciform size: 0.160" x 0.150" deep.

About halfway down the page, just below the yellow (and double width farther down):  http://www.smcelectronics.com/swkey.htm

They would be for a Leopold in my case.  I don't know what they mean by "standard."  The stems seem a bit short to me.  I wouldn't mind going lower profile if they'll work.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 12:19:39 »
They look short in height just from eyeballin it, but i bet ripster knows or the wiki
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline wabewawa

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 12:41:54 »
Thanks, whiskerBox.  The Wiki can be a bear to navigate, but I'll dig there some more, time permitting.  I guess I need to find what the exact specs are for Cherry MX caps.  Maybe I'll PM Ripster if he doesn't happen to reply to this, though this here newb frankly feels a bit intimidated to venture there.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:31:20 »
I guess the easiest way would be to measure the dimensions of your current key caps and compare with dimensions of these ones. I'm way too lazy to try and do all that. There is a lot of different profile keycaps as well but the wiki has alot of really cool pics and good info on this kind of stuff. I don't think ripster accepts PMs but if he doesn't drop in here you can catch him in his sub-forum. Frankly he is kinda like beetle juice so if you say his name enough times he will appear
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28116[/ATTACH]
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 10:22:07 »
well if you're worried about it working for cherry ml's instead, nope, ml's look way different than your standard mx stem... more like 2 opposing tabs.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
Re: Are these key caps compatible with Cherry MX switches?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 19:53:01 »

I know the buckling rubber is blocking a little bit but doesn't the cross mount size look about right?  :-\