Author Topic: [IC] Stainless Steel or Aluminum SpaceBar  (Read 21319 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
[IC] Stainless Steel or Aluminum SpaceBar
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 08:01:40 »
Quote from: Maarten;616779
Erm... Alumina basically IS fancy corroded aluminium right? Thats like saying that rust will never rust (which ofc in a way is true).

However, about the whole metal cap thing.... i think i really need to type on a board with all metal caps one of these days because i have a feeling that it could suck quite a bit if you're a very fast typer (mass being slow and everything). Anyone here have some experience with long/fast typing on full metal?

Longweight has a keyboard with all metal caps (except modifiers), ask him
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:18:53 »
Erm... Alumina basically IS fancy corroded aluminium right? Thats like saying that rust will never rust (which ofc in a way is true).

However, about the whole metal cap thing.... i think i really need to type on a board with all metal caps one of these days because i have a feeling that it could suck quite a bit if you're a very fast typer (mass being slow and everything). Anyone here have some experience with long/fast typing on full metal?
It's a ceramic: no longer a metal Al2O3. You could say that it's oxidized aluminum, but so is sapphire:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire
(chemical formula of sapphire as Al2O3).
Alumina is closer to Corundum in it's crystalline form, which is cool 'cause it has a mohs of 9.
 It's pretty awesome:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumina

Anyway it's oxidized aluminum, not corroded aluminum. One main reason it's so good about corrosion, etc is because it's already oxidized (so your rust will never rust is at least partially true!). On main difference is that iron oxide is fail whereas aluminum oxide is win. I love ceramics.

Offline Maarten

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:30:33 »
Oh i know, im just teasing ;) Its like saying diamonds are the same stuff as the guts of a regular No.2 pencil (yet they are quite differently priced).....

But im going off-topic like gh has not seen since ripster got his ass banned. My apologies.....

Offline gimpster

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 11:13:31 »

I had a full set of gold-plated zinc caps. I type about 95wpm. Weight was an issue, see my previous post in this thread. It also made the tips of my fingers hurt after a full day.
-Ryan

Offline noobandroid

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 11:27:12 »
interested, make some eye candy
HHKB

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 15:30:03 »
Interested as well, and waiting for prototype pics.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 15:39:31 »

I have no issues with typing on my aluminium caps, I have no idea what my WPM is but I do type pretty damn fast!

It is so worth it.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 09:45:26 »
I would want an Al spacebar that's brushed/sandblasted like Apple stuff.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 10:03:54 »
I much prefer the finish on my Benchmade 470
http://www.benchmade.com/products/470
(looks better IRL)

Offline Upcboy

• Perfect Aim
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 19:36:38 »
Just an Update Should be in the shop this week (they actually offered to hire me and train me as a Machinist) so I hope to have a prototype by the end of the week.

Offline postlapsaetia

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 19:41:34 »
Quote from: Upcboy;621243
Just an Update Should be in the shop this week (they actually offered to hire me and train me as a Machinist) so I hope to have a prototype by the end of the week.

That's awesome, do it! Excited for this.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 19:43:34 »
don't take my earlier doubt too seriously. excited to see what you guys can come up with!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 20:12:57 »

That's pretty cool! any estimate as to pricing?

Offline KylJoy

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 22:11:12 »
Me like!  Me buy if pretty.

Offline Upcboy

• Perfect Aim
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 24 June 2012, 22:17:24 »
Updated OP with a fancy google Form to get an accurate reading of how many are wanted....
Not really sure on pricing just yet. I'll figure that out after I get a Prototype.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 11:11:02 »
I was asked to provide something to make the spacebar from. Below is a link to a stepfile for cnc-machines.
http://depositfiles.com/files/sscw19t8y
 Beware though, it was made with additive manufacturing in mind. I tried to be as accurate as possible, which for example means that the sides aren't flat surfaces. The right and left side of keys are bent, something you don't notice until you measure them or put two against each other. I could make a simpler one if there is interest, but it wouldn't look as good naturally. Feel free to ask any production facility you want what they would charge you for it.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 14:57:08 »
Filled out :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 16:35:17 »
Quote from: damorgue;621590
I was asked to provide something to make the spacebar from. Below is a link to a stepfile for cnc-machines.
http://depositfiles.com/files/sscw19t8y
 Beware though, it was made with additive manufacturing in mind. I tried to be as accurate as possible, which for example means that the sides aren't flat surfaces. The right and left side of keys are bent, something you don't notice until you measure them or put two against each other. I could make a simpler one if there is interest, but it wouldn't look as good naturally. Feel free to ask any production facility you want what they would charge you for it.
You mean this is made for 3D-printing?

Or to be more exact:

(Titanium spacebars f*ck yeah)

Do you have an image of it?
EDIT: Nevermind, I opened the file.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53859[/ATTACH]
Looks cool. Maybe I'll ask a company nearby.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 17:05:46 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [IC] Stainless Steel or Aluminum SpaceBar
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 06:31:06 »
Just filled out for two Stainless babies.... ;D

Let us know how it's going.

Offline el2k

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 08:27:57 »
Filled out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk