Author Topic: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy (Closed for Orders)  (Read 428325 times)

Online KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
Re: Octagon V2 75% Kustom Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:04:02 »
So its closed now? Thought the deadline was 1st of february  :eek: Wanted to get in on this!

There was a lot more orders than expected.
Yeah , that's will make this Octagon v2 not rare haha, too much Octagon V2 on geekhack. Also there will be some from the Korean groupbuy  :mad:

Who gives a **** whether it's rare or not. There's still going to be ~80 boards on geekhack, that's plenty rare compared to any other retail board and other customs such as winkeyless and gon. I personally think it's kind of pretty damn selfish if you want less people to enjoy a board as good as this.

LightSaver v3 for every1 plz :-*
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #301 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:05:55 »
So its closed now? Thought the deadline was 1st of february  :eek: Wanted to get in on this!

Yeah , that's will make this Octagon v2 not rare haha, too much Octagon V2 on geekhack. Also there will be some from the Korean groupbuy  :mad:

Who gives a **** whether it's rare or not. There's still going to be ~80 boards on geekhack, that's plenty rare compared to any other retail board and other customs such as winkeyless and gon. I personally think it's kind of pretty damn selfish if you want less people to enjoy a board as good as this.

LightSaver v3 for every1 plz :-*

There will still be limited amounts because Duck will only take on as much as he's comfortable with, given the amount of popularity he's getting I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out with 100+.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #302 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:09:03 »

I don't selfish about it . I mean that if that not have a large quantities , people will feel lucky when have it and more care about it ( maybe feel respectful) . Also if too many that may not have a good quality as less quantity (also long time to make it ). That's just my opinion so please don't feel angry about it
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:16:32 by nguyenkimtam »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #303 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:18:03 »

I don't selfish about it . I mean that if that not have a large quantities , people will feel lucky when have it and more care about it. Also if too many that may not have a good quality as less quantity (also long time to make it ). That's just my opinion so please don't feel angry about it

I'm not angry at you at all, I completely understand about concerns for quality but that's why I feel that Duck will only take on as much as he is comfortable with. I personally would love if everybody got away from all that retail nonsense and had a board like this to type on, it truly is wonderful. My Jane is 1 of 20, Jane CE 1 of 25, Lightsaver v2 1 of 30(in GH), and Orion v2 1 of 60(in GH) but I don't see them being any more special that less of them have been made.

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #304 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:22:58 »

I don't selfish about it . I mean that if that not have a large quantities , people will feel lucky when have it and more care about it. Also if too many that may not have a good quality as less quantity (also long time to make it ). That's just my opinion so please don't feel angry about it

I'm not angry at you at all, I completely understand about concerns for quality but that's why I feel that Duck will only take on as much as he is comfortable with. I personally would love if everybody got away from all that retail nonsense and had a board like this to type on, it truly is wonderful. My Jane is 1 of 20, Jane CE 1 of 25, Lightsaver v2 1 of 30(in GH), and Orion v2 1 of 60(in GH) but I don't see them being any more special that less of them have been made.
I also want everybody have a great board for them. Just concern about the quality. And also hope that won't take a long time like the Orion V2  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:24:15 »

I also want everybody have a great board for them. Just concern about the quality. And also hope that won't take a long time like the Orion V2  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah I hear ya there, 9 months was pretty damn long for the Orion. Especially when the estimated time was 2 months. :confused:

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:27:25 »

Yeah I hear ya there, 9 months was pretty damn long for the Orion. Especially when the estimated time was 2 months. :confused:
Actually i have joined in Korea group buy so i think mine will arrive faster , still join in GH group buy because want another color to mix  :cool: :cool:

Offline jshane

« Reply #307 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 18:50:17 »

So when are you giving away all your boards except one, Steezus?

You seem irritated at the idea anyone would "collect" keyboards because it would mean some poor soul out there isn't able to "enjoy" the experience. I mean, you can't honestly say you type on all of those boards at once, right? And if they're all high quality, why do you need so many? Wouldn't it be more in-line with your philosophy to give them away (or sell them at your cost) so that less fortunate people could enjoy those items?

This is the second time in this single runaway thread I've seen someone attacked and ostracized because they expressed dissatisfaction that it will not be as limited run as those that preceded it and its disgusting because it's coming from collectors of artisan keycaps and limited run keyboards... You can have an opinion but don't proudly flaunt hypocrisy in the process.

Who cares whether it's rare or not, you ask? I do. Other people here do. You do, apparently.

Am I selfish because I care about rarity? Well, I own a single 60% (Duck Poker), a TKL I made myself (custom aluminum case), and wanted to add a 75% to the collection to round out the only boards I am interested in or would even use... If that makes me selfish, what does a guy with 4 limited run keyboards (and more on the way, proudly displayed in the signature) qualify as?

I'd make a crack about wearing out those keyboards posting crap that doesn't matter in these forums, but its none of my business how you spend your money, use your possessions, or the rationale that influenced those decisions. Just like it isn't any of yours to anyone else.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:11:11 »

So when are you giving away all your boards except one, Steezus?

You seem irritated at the idea anyone would "collect" keyboards because it would mean some poor soul out there isn't able to "enjoy" the experience. I mean, you can't honestly say you type on all of those boards at once, right? And if they're all high quality, why do you need so many? Wouldn't it be more in-line with your philosophy to give them away (or sell them at your cost) so that less fortunate people could enjoy those items?

This is the second time in this single runaway thread I've seen someone attacked and ostracized because they expressed dissatisfaction that it will not be as limited run as those that preceded it and its disgusting because it's coming from collectors of artisan keycaps and limited run keyboards... You can have an opinion but don't proudly flaunt hypocrisy in the process.

Who cares whether it's rare or not, you ask? I do. Other people here do. You do, apparently.

Am I selfish because I care about rarity? Well, I own a single 60% (Duck Poker), a TKL I made myself (custom aluminum case), and wanted to add a 75% to the collection to round out the only boards I am interested in or would even use... If that makes me selfish, what does a guy with 4 limited run keyboards (and more on the way, proudly displayed in the signature) qualify as?

I'd make a crack about wearing out those keyboards posting crap that doesn't matter in these forums, but its none of my business how you spend your money, use your possessions, or the rationale that influenced those decisions. Just like it isn't any of yours to anyone else.

Lol calm down and check your facts bud. What does me having to give away my boards do with anything?

I currently have two keyboards in my possession and I rotate them on a daily basis. I'm not irritated at somebody wanting to collect keyboards, I don't have a problem with that at all. I just don't understand the reasoning of wanting the amount of orders to be decreased to increase the rarity.

Did I ever say that I cared about boards being rare? Simply put, no. I buy these boards because I like the quality of them and have actually put them to use. I have multiple computers that I work at and places to travel hence why I have multiple boards, I also like to have a variety of switches to type on for various purposes.

I'm not saying you're selfish for caring about rarity, however if you want the amount of orders to be less just so you can say your board is rare then yes, you are being selfish. "Proudly displayed in the signature", lol just lol, I create build logs in order to help out other users when it comes to creating their first custom because that's how I learned to build my first keyboard. I like to add updates showing ways that I've found are best in order to fix your board up whether keycap light bleed, anodization scratch fix, etc. The real question is what the hell does rarity do for you? The fact that you can stroke yourself because you have a board that other people don't? A board being rare does not make it any better to type on, it's just for bragging rights. I enjoy the boards for what they are, the quality and engineering put into them. I'm a sucker for full aluminum boards, I don't like anything else. There aren't many options out there so I take what I can, I'm sorry I have more money to spend than you. I'm such a terrible person aren't I because I'd prefer that Duck makes more boards so that others can enjoy the experience of a quality board that he makes. If I was in it for collecting then I would've been in this buy as well.

Offline tuco

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:29:08 »
I just want to express my gratitude to elton5354 for making this GB possible and I am glad I made it into the list.

Offline E3E

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:27:26 »

This mentality is so stupid. Ugh. Heavens forbid if you have something that "everyone" else has. That instantly makes it less special. It shows that you value less of the craftsmanship that goes into something and more so the scarcity of it, which can ALSO be artificially altered and limited. That is just...

I guess I should feel special that I have a Lightpad and an Octagon, the latter of which there were only 27 orders for. I don't care though, lol.

Anwyay, I have to apologize. This tangent and all of the related posts should not be what's discussed here.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:30:15 by E3E »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:29:52 »

This mentality is so stupid. Ugh.

Careful now, jshane will jump down your throat.

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #312 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:31:44 »

That's normal with many people, also that's my opinion , please read all my comment after this comment. I don't know who are you , you don't have a right to told anybody stupid. You are nothing at all. I don't want to make a war so please stop

Offline E3E

« Reply #313 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:34:50 »

Careful now, jshane will jump down your throat.

Haha. Ehhh... My gripe isn't whether or not a GB should be open to orders in the way that GON or WKL.kr is, but more so that people are so caught up in wanting the orders list even more restricted than it already is?

80 orders? NO! I demand only the quantity immediately above my order number!  I want to feel special. Why are you being so inconsiderate?

IMO, this has nothing to do with jshane's post. Every GB is limited, but it's the fact some people apparently want this board's quantity to be even MORE limited than it already is--artificially restricted to appease to some stupid draw to rarity.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:35:57 »
Ah,  so orders are closed now,  crazy now quick those orders came in right?

Apologies in advance if I'm asking dumb questions?

Few questions:
- are the batches in 30's or 40's, I thought I saw elton say 40 + 40 +,..? But the final number is 91?
- why did my number go from 31 to 32? Thought I might be in the first batch,  but if it's 30 I definitely won't (30 + 1 for elton)
- are invoices still on the 1st Feb,  or is that gonna BA sooner now the ordering is closed?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #315 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:36:17 »

That's normal with many people, also that's my opinion , please read all my comment after this comment. I don't know who are you , you don't have a right to told anybody stupid. You are nothing at all. I don't want to make a war so please stop

I don't know who you are aside from what you show, and I wasn't calling you stupid. I was calling the mentality of seeking rarity over simply enjoying a quality board stupid. That is all. Enjoy the keyboard, not the number.

But yes, sir. I am nothing. Thank you. Have a good one. :)

Lastly, to clarify, if your concerns are in how quality might be affected by a large quantity, that is far more understandable than simply wanting lower quantities out of some greater sense of significance just because less were produced.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:43:16 by E3E »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:39:17 »

Few questions:
- are the batches in 30's or 40's, I thought I saw elton say 40 + 40 +,..? But the final number is 91?
- why did my number go from 31 to 32? Thought I might be in the first batch,  but if it's 30 I definitely won't (30 + 1 for elton)
- are invoices still on the 1st Feb,  or is that gonna BA sooner now the ordering is closed?

Batches are in 40, I believe people jumped up a number is because somebody added a board to their order. Deadline for invoices is February 7th.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:46:31 »

Few questions:

Batches are in 40, I believe people jumped up a number is because somebody added a board to their order. Deadline for invoices is February 7th.

Thanks,  you are Mr knowledge :)

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:47:54 »
anyone have a guide on how the to use the configurator? Can't seem to get the arrows to work.

And invoices haven't been sent out yet have they?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:48:41 »

Few questions:

Haha thank you, I try to help out where I can. ;)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:56:30 »
Let's get back on topic here. This is a GB for the purposes of a keyboard, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:57:06 »
Let's get back on topic here. This is a GB for the purposes of a keyboard, nothing more, nothing less.

It's kind of been back on topic already.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 20:58:33 »

Few questions:

Geez it feels like every other day someone is trying to start drama (cough jshane cough). I for one appreciate Steezus contributing to this thread and answering pretty much everyone's questions. I know you've helped myself, and I'm sure countless others who have frequented this thread. Don't let these keyboard warriors get to you, man. :)
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:02:49 »

Few questions:

Geez it feels like every other day someone is trying to start drama (cough jshane cough). I for one appreciate Steezus contributing to this thread and answering pretty much everyone's questions. I know you've helped myself, and I'm sure countless others who have frequented this thread. Don't let these keyboard warriors get to you, man. :)

I appreciate it but it's no big deal, probably just some troll.

But what Dreamre said let's keep this thread about the Octagon now. Just a little tip to people since I regret it from the Orion v2 buy, pick up the flat acrylic bottom. For only $22 you can't beat it and it looks so good when the board is fully built and LEDs on.

Offline E3E

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:06:56 »

Word! Yep, I'm definitely stoked to be in this GB, though I'm really unsure what will become of my v1. The differences between the two, especially in plate-mounting styles will certainly make me more inclined to keep the original, as well as the little "OCTAGON" nameplate that juts out an actually creates an irregular octagon out of the otherwise rectangular shape of the board, haha. The stickers were actually pretty unique, if not novel.

This one isn't going to be too much different than the first, just in Silver and Blue Grey to go with GMK SNES (so hoping the next launch of that set goes through), with clicky clear switches (vintage MX whites) in Zealio housings. Steez has probably seen me babble about my plans for this board tons of times.

I'll probably use a straight cable for it, maybe just a plain black USB cable to allude to the cables of the SNES controllers.

I did want to get a red version with a flat bottom and either wait for a 75% Alps PCB to come around (or commission one from Clueboard whenever Skully's services are open), or take a drill to the Octagon PCB and "alpsify" it, lol.

Yes, cringe in horror! Haha. But yeah, I wanted an Alps 75%. Red with a flat acrylic bottom and Duck feet would've been my choice there.

I can't afford that either way, Alps plans or not. I'm already having a Lightpad Alps plate designed so I can transition my Lightpad to the Alps side for some blue Alps number crunching goodness. That'll probably be expensive since I plan to get the plate made out of CF.

I'm honestly surprised at how many orders this GB has gotten. Has the community really grown that much in a year? I STILL haven't made my first anniversary here yet. That'd be in March! So much has happened since then!

Online KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:07:28 »
More
Exclusivity is a factor when considering the overall worth an item has to someone, theres no denying that -- as that notion is applicable to almost any platform, input devices included. It can enhance a user's experience through the satisfaction they derive from that exclusivity --  I think the majority of keyboard enthusiasts value exclusivity, albeit not uniformly.

The issue most likely, in my view, is that when users express their dismay that perhaps their desire for exclusivity won't be satiated
---it comes off as incredibly selfish in a thread presumably full of users wishing to have joined in time. It's pretty easy for one to garner distaste among his peers by gloating and simultaneously wishing for their exclusion.

nothing wrong with valuing rarity... its just sensitivity goes a long way  :thumb:

That being said, i personally don't think anyone has crossed into the realm of being deemed an "insensitive jerk"  :p

edit: Ohhh boy, wont add fuel to da fire :P  added spoilers to my take on exclusivity

edit2:

Silver and Blue Grey to go with GMK SNES

Umm.. wow, that set is probably perfect for the blue-grey color. Now im regretting not joining that massdrop for it!  :-[

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:19:11 by KetchyKech »
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline E3E

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:34:10 »
More
Exclusivity is a factor when considering the overall worth an item has to someone, theres no denying that -- as that notion is applicable to almost any platform, input devices included. It can enhance a user's experience through the satisfaction they derive from that exclusivity --  I think the majority of keyboard enthusiasts value exclusivity, albeit not uniformly.

The issue most likely, in my view, is that when users express their dismay that perhaps their desire for exclusivity won't be satiated
---it comes off as incredibly selfish in a thread presumably full of users wishing to have joined in time. It's pretty easy for one to garner distaste among his peers by gloating and simultaneously wishing for their exclusion.

nothing wrong with valuing rarity... its just sensitivity goes a long way  :thumb:

That being said, i personally don't think anyone has crossed into the realm of being deemed an "insensitive jerk"  :p

edit: Ohhh boy, wont add fuel to da fire :P  added spoilers to my take on exclusivity

edit2:

Umm.. wow, that set is probably perfect for the blue-grey color. Now im regretting not joining that massdrop for it!  :-[

!!! - Don't feel too bad, Kech. The drop wasn't successful, unfortunately. We're all hoping for it to go through on the relaunch, whenever that happens!

But yeah, I know right? Silver and Blue Grey to go with the light and dark grey of SNES. I feel like it'd be a great analog!

Spoiler for more talk about exclusivity stuff (also, I'm really sleepy and probably shouldn't be trying to talk about much in this current state of mind, haha):

More
I totally get appreciating exclusivity by the way, but not making it your entire reason for owning something. Like, my FAME blue Alps keyboard for instance--not even Tai Hao has an example in their headquarters, as I've heard from Daniel Beardsmore, where they several other different models with blue Alps there, but not this one. Pretty low serial number as well!

It turned out to be a very rare keyboard, and that does make me happy, but that is not why I bought it--I had no idea! It was entirely for practical purposes, to replace another metal-bottomed blue Alps board I accidentally bricked. :(

I -don't- use it these days because I have some pristine Hebrew doubleshots on it and I don't want to shine the caps. Plus, I have other Alps boards I can enjoy! :D The Leading Edge DC-3014 has been a favorite lately. ^-^ So the FAME is pretty much the only board I have that has turned into more of a collection piece.

But yeah, several boards I own are rather limited or hard to find, but that was never my motive for buying them.

Octagon v1? I wanted it because I thought it'd go perfect with Jukebox when I saw a red one for sale on Zeal's website.

Lightpad? What better to go with the Octagon than a Lightpad. I just so happened to get offered one after posting various places! Black is also the more popular color as well, which just happened by chance in my case. I wanted silver to be honest, but now black has grown on me--ultimately, I do want to get it reanodized in red to match my Hammer Alps board and the Octagon v1. We shall see.

Some of the Alps boards I have are less common variants of more common boards. The DC-3014 isn't terribly rare, but it isn't common, but it does have blue Alps and NKRO in an ANSI 101 layout, which was my main draw to it!

I really don't have a ginormous collection. I'm pretty frugal with things--I really don't have too much cash to drop on things.

I think my most prized board is the Hammer Alps custom Duck Eagle I built. Definitely. <3 
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:36:06 by E3E »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:35:54 »

Well you're in luck because the drop failed to me moq, it was due to bad timing right after the holidays so a rerun is planned.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 21:36:18 »

Word! Yep, I'm definitely stoked to be in this GB, though I'm really unsure what will become of my v1. The differences between the two, especially in plate-mounting styles will certainly make me more inclined to keep the original, as well as the little "OCTAGON" nameplate that juts out an actually creates an irregular octagon out of the otherwise rectangular shape of the board, haha. The stickers were actually pretty unique, if not novel.

This one isn't going to be too much different than the first, just in Silver and Blue Grey to go with GMK SNES (so hoping the next launch of that set goes through), with clicky clear switches (vintage MX whites) in Zealio housings. Steez has probably seen me babble about my plans for this board tons of times.

I'll probably use a straight cable for it, maybe just a plain black USB cable to allude to the cables of the SNES controllers.

I did want to get a red version with a flat bottom and either wait for a 75% Alps PCB to come around (or commission one from Clueboard whenever Skully's services are open), or take a drill to the Octagon PCB and "alpsify" it, lol.

Yes, cringe in horror! Haha. But yeah, I wanted an Alps 75%. Red with a flat acrylic bottom and Duck feet would've been my choice there.

I can't afford that either way, Alps plans or not. I'm already having a Lightpad Alps plate designed so I can transition my Lightpad to the Alps side for some blue Alps number crunching goodness. That'll probably be expensive since I plan to get the plate made out of CF.

I'm honestly surprised at how many orders this GB has gotten. Has the community really grown that much in a year? I STILL haven't made my first anniversary here yet. That'd be in March! So much has happened since then!

E3 it sounds like you're going to have a pretty sweet board on your hands.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline E3E

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 22:20:56 »

E3 it sounds like you're going to have a pretty sweet board on your hands.

Hey hey! You might be right! ;)

But hey, you're not alone! Out of all 91 orders, I've noticed that yours is the only other individual order with the same dual tone color scheme that I selected, silver and blue grey, though you went for the aluminum plate whereas I went for stainless, hehe.

Looks we'll both have some pretty sweet boards!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 22:53:28 »

Well you're in luck because the drop failed to me moq, it was due to bad timing right after the holidays so a rerun is planned.

hoping a rerun of GMK Classic Beige comes first, tho! need it for this board

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 22:57:00 »

In the livestream today Photekq said it's very unlikely that it'll happen, if so it'll be a something like a moogle kit.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #332 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 23:48:35 »
sunofa

Offline E3E

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 06:35:40 »

Hmm. Classic beige; I'd have to imagine some EnjoyPBT sets would come close to the same color scheme, so if you are alright with PBT, you can look there!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 08:01:23 »
Ha. I missed this GB completely. I think I'd prefer Orion anyway, though I do have a nostalgia for the layout of the Noppoo Choc Mini I had so very long ago.

I'll have to be more vigilant in the coming months.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:27:59 »

Ha. I missed this GB completely. I think I'd prefer Orion anyway, though I do have a nostalgia for the layout of the Noppoo Choc Mini I had so very long ago.

Leeku should be doing a 75% group buy soon.
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline E3E

« Reply #336 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:32:45 »

Leeku should be doing a 75% group buy soon.

If he'd make a 75% Alps PCB, I'd <3

Offline c4103

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:20:58 »
Okay so I have a question.  Clearly this board comes with a plate, but I see that it says to use PCB mount stabilizers?  Does that mean you need to use PCB mount switches too?  I ordered 100 plate mount zealios... hope I didn't order the wrong thing...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:22:50 »
Okay so I have a question.  Clearly this board comes with a plate, but I see that it says to use PCB mount stabilizers?  Does that mean you need to use PCB mount switches too?  I ordered 100 plate mount zealios... hope I didn't order the wrong thing...

You can use PCB mounted switches but you don't have to. The PCB mounted switches just make them a little sturdier because they have two extra legs that clip into the PCB.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:27:37 »
some people may need a source for pcb-mount stabs, though. i have a couple sets, so i am set. but for my personal edification as well, can someone tell us where to find them?

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:29:57 »
some people may need a source for pcb-mount stabs, though. i have a couple sets, so i am set. but for my personal edification as well, can someone tell us where to find them?

Originative only has 6.25u atm.
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/accessories

Zeal only offers 6.25u per his website as well.
http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/pcb-plate-mount-cherry-stabilizers

Alternatively you can source from winkeyless.kr but I heard shipping can be quite expensive. They offer both 6.25u and 7u :thumb:
http://winkeyless.kr/product/cherry-pcb-mount-stabilizers/
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:32:36 by aaron6301 »

Offline c4103

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:30:52 »

You can use PCB mounted switches but you don't have to. The PCB mounted switches just make them a little sturdier because they have two extra legs that clip into the PCB.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:38:12 »

http://zealpc.net/collections/switches/products/pcb-plate-mount-cherry-stabilizers

Alternatively you can source from winkeyless.kr but I heard shipping can be quite expensive. They offer both 6.25u and 7u :thumb:

Emailing winkeyless will help with shipping costs.  They have other options.

Offline c4103

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:41:48 »

Thanks for this info.  From looking at the layout, this board uses a 6.25 unit spacebar, no?  I plan on putting Granite on it so that's what I will be using.  I didn't really understand the difference between PCB and plate mount switches and I ordered a **** ton of the plate mount Zealios...  How much stability do PCB mount switches / stabs add?  Is it worth cancelling my order and getting some PCB mount ones instead?  Can I even use the plate mount stabilizers?  Really I just want to keep everything consistent.  This is my first custom, sorry if these are stupid questions.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:50:13 »

Thanks for this info.  From looking at the layout, this board uses a 6.25 unit spacebar, no?  I plan on putting Granite on it so that's what I will be using.  I didn't really understand the difference between PCB and plate mount switches and I ordered a **** ton of the plate mount Zealios...  How much stability do PCB mount switches / stabs add?  Is it worth cancelling my order and getting some PCB mount ones instead?  Can I even use the plate mount stabilizers?  Really I just want to keep everything consistent.  This is my first custom, sorry if these are stupid questions.

This PCB supports both winkey and winkeyless layouts. So, you can use either a 6.25u spacebar stab for winkey layouts or a 7u spacebar stab for winkeyless.

After a brief back and forth with Zeal, the extra stability doesn't hurt. In fact, I did exactly what your contemplating. I changed my order from plate mount to PCB mounted 65g's. If you feel that you don't need the extra legs on PCB mounted switches, you can clip them with a flush cutter (credit to Steezus for the info).
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:52:19 by aaron6301 »

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:13:47 »
Originative sells gold plated ones, and zeal sells both pcb and plate mounted, non gold plated stabs :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:16:01 »
Originative sells gold plated ones, and zeal sells both pcb and plate mounted, non gold plated stabs :)
The ones Originative sells are SPRiT's, by the way.

Offline c4103

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:37:03 »
Cancelled my order with Zeal and redid it with 78g PCB tactiles and the stabs, since I'm doing a winkey / winkeyless combo layout.  Thanks for your help, everyone!

Offline E3E

« Reply #348 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:55:06 »
The ones Originative sells are SPRiT's, by the way.

Thanks for this information! This is very good to know now that SPRiT's GB stuff has scattered, with his springs on MechanicalKeyboards.com and now, as I've learned, his stabs on Originative/Sherry's website.

Offline E3E

« Reply #349 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:57:07 »

Not only this, but they also help ensure that the switches aren't crooked at all! Even if clipped into the plate, I've seen some crooked switches before, or at least the result of crooked switches as seen by the key caps (my Octagon being an example >W<).