Author Topic: [GB] Kaihua Kailh Speed Switches - All orders out, in stock at Mehkee now!  (Read 11606 times)

Offline cynviloq

Kaihua Kailh Speed Switches Pre-Order

https://mehkee.com/products/preorder-kailh-speed-switches

Individual switches: $0.31/each
75 pack: $22.99 ($0.306/each)
150 pack: $43.99 ($0.293/each)

Kaihua Kailh Speed Switches with MX-stems and produced with 3.5mm of travel and only 1.1mm of pre-travel (1.4mm for Gold).

Specs:
  • Compatible with MX stem keycaps and SMD LEDs
  • 3.5mm total travel with 70 million lifetime click rating

Stems offered:
  • Kailh Speed Gold - 50g Tactile Clicky (1.4mm +/- 0.3mm pre-travel)
  • Kailh Speed Bronze - 50g Tactile Clicky (1.1mm +/- 0.3mm pre-travel)
  • Kailh Speed Silver - 50g Linear (1.1mm +/- 0.3mm pre-travel)
  • Kailh Speed Copper - 50g Tactile (1.1mm +/- 0.3mm pre-travel)

Various videos online of Kailh Speed Switches (I'll upload a new video once received with all switches):

Images from Deskthority, by Daniel Beardsmore (will update with in-person pictures when on hand)

Note: stock springs are rated to have +/-10gf in operating force. Force listed is actuation.

International shipping available - prices for under 120 switches should be between $8 - $10 in a padded mailer. Over 120 switches may need to go into a box which raises prices dramatically. If you have questions on shipping, please e-mail: contact[at]mehkee.com

Timeline: switches are expected to arrive ~June 7th and ship in the 1-2 days after. If there is excess demand, I will place another order and have it rush shipped.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:59:10 by cynviloq »

Offline cynviloq

Re: [GB] Kaihua Kailh Speed Switches
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 16:11:18 »
[Reserved]

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:24:51 »
First order is expected to ship this week - possible that it arrives a bit early :D

In case anyone was wondering, in order of popularity from pre-orders (most to least):
Copper (Tactile)
Bronze (Clicky)
Silver (Linear)
Gold (Clicky)

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:21:18 »
Ooo! I think I'm in for a set of Coppers.

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:18:32 »
I see it looks like plate mount only, have you talked to them for the possibility of PCB mount?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:34:31 »
I see it looks like plate mount only, have you talked to them for the possibility of PCB mount?

Unfortunately not in the cards for the near future. For the most part Kaihua does not produce PCB mount anymore save for a few select older switches and specialty switches.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 23:05:20 »
How are the most recent Kailh switches in terms of smoothness? I've been intrigued with their Box switch design (although it's unclear whether there's any interference issues with the common custom keycap profiles), and HaaTa seems to be promoting Kailh over Cherry MX.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:42:33 »
How are the most recent Kailh switches in terms of smoothness? I've been intrigued with their Box switch design (although it's unclear whether there's any interference issues with the common custom keycap profiles), and HaaTa seems to be promoting Kailh over Cherry MX.

They've done a great job - stems have very little wobble. The linear is smooth, tactile has a bit of harshness that goes away with some lube (but the big bump is great), and the clicky has a nice deep and full click versus Gateron Blue/Green's higher pitched click.

I'm getting some samples of the Box design soon and will test it against various profiles.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 11:34:05 »
Looking forward to your BOX style review.  As far as I understand, the LED goes inside the pocket at the front of the switch with BOX switches, so one would need to remove the switch to change LEDs.  The actuation mechanism seems quite different from other MX-style switches.  Most curious about any interference of the wider style stem with various keycaps like GMK/Cherry doubleshots.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:18:55 »
The Box White and Thick Gold speed switches have a dual-click design; they click on the way down and on the way back up. Both are very loud, high-pitched clicks, so if you like making lots of noise when you type, these switches are definitely for you.

I tested all four Box switches with a number of different keycaps from SP and they all attached just fine. Overall performance is impossible for me to assess without being able to type on a full board of them. The Box red, black, and brown switches don't seem much different to me than Cherry MXs of the same colors, but again, I only have individual switches to test, so a more accurate comparison is hard for me to make.

My favorite, by far, is the Copper speed switch. The Gold isn't bad; it has a soft, subtle click that is almost pleasant. But Copper still rules the roost as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:27:35 »
Hmm, I wonder if Speed Copper is similar to my lightweight Jailhouse Blues (o-ring mod, 45g spring, compressed of course).  I'm typing on those now and like them a lot.
https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/kaihua-copper/

edit: seems like consistency might be an issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/60ng69/buying_kaihua_kailh_speed_switches/df8rfyu/
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:47:05 by Photoelectric »

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:04:34 »
Hmm, I wonder if Speed Copper is similar to my lightweight Jailhouse Blues (o-ring mod, 45g spring, compressed of course).  I'm typing on those now and like them a lot.

Coppers don't have the sound or feel of a click anywhere it their travel. It is almost as if a magnet or rubber dome is providing the tactility, rather than a click leaf.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 14:11:38 »
Jailhouse Blues don't click either, unless you make them loosely enough (white and blue parts of the stem can move with respect to each other).  They are tactile, with the bump being very close to the top and a shortened travel distance.  Mine, being made with soft silicone o-rings, are also very quiet and soft to type on. I use a 45g spring, which makes them heavier than stock MX Browns but lighter than stock MX Clears. I should get a sampler of Speed Copper!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 15:12:35 »
After testing out these switches from novelkeys.xyz i jumped in on this group buy. I grabbed some bronze clicky which are really solid.. as good or better clicks than a gatistole, and some silvers.
-Dana

Offline Harms

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 22:52:41 »
Is the Gold switches click rattly and super loud like the Gateron blues?

Offline anonymous

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 01:06:34 »
Until when is the pre-order?

Offline ika

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 01:16:47 »
How is the copper tactility compared to MX browns and clears?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 08:50:01 »
Until when is the pre-order?

Pre-order lasts until we receive the products for shipping or June 7th - whichever is later (though I do not believe we will have delays, so should be June 7th, at which the prices will move up slightly to retail)

They sound a bit deeper and do not rattle as much (pretty tight fitment) in the 15ish sample switches that I have:

It's not as smooth as MX Browns, but have a strong tactile bump right at the start. Here are some comparison charts from Input Club if that's helpful!

Kailh Copper: https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/kaihua-copper/
Cherry MX Brown: https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/cherry-mx-brown/
Cherry MX Clear: https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/cherry-mx-clear/

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 12:29:38 »

No. The Gold switch has a soft, pleasant click. It isn't very loud at all, like MX blues but without as much bottom-out/upstroke noise. The Thick Gold (née bronze) switch is the obnoxiously loud one that snaps both on the way down and again on the way back up.

Copper tactility feels more like Topre to me than any MX tactile switch. It is soft and subtle and extremely pleasant. It isn't as "crisp" as MX clears, and so if you're looking for a tactile switch that almost clicks like a clicky switch, you won't like Coppers.

Offline Harms

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 17:18:03 »
Awesome thanks for the input guys :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 17:28:12 »
Are the stems Cherry MX or Gateron housing-compatible?  I.e. if I want to use a speed Copper stem (and possibly spring) for short travel and its particular tactility in a smoother Cherry MX or Gateron housing, would that work?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 09:58:16 »
Are the stems Cherry MX or Gateron housing-compatible?  I.e. if I want to use a speed Copper stem (and possibly spring) for short travel and its particular tactility in a smoother Cherry MX or Gateron housing, would that work?

I tried the Silver and Copper stems and they work in both, but the shorter actuation travel seems to come from the click bar within the housing. So I'm not sure that you would be able to get shorter travel in a standard housing.

All pre-orders have been filled! (Except two orders which are waiting on a different item)

I'll lock this thread now since we're complete - PM me if you have any questions. We will also be having the Kailh Speed Pink soon (same as Bronze, just a different stem!).