Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251386 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:41:55 »
Thinking about transplanting my Hipro caps to the 87u. From what I can gather, all I have to do is transplant the hipro switch housings/stems, grind a notch in the plate for left control and desolder the left control led. Am I missing anything? Any tips for this mod?

maybe i'm out of the loop on this, but i don't think you have to transplant housings and stems

but yeah the LED has to go
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #351 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:50:28 »
Hi-Pro has a different slider + slider housing, so it has to be swapped w/ the caps. Although it might just be the housing, sliders might be the same.

Unfortunately not!

They are not sold separately, and in fact the caps are a little different than normal. You won't be able to mount them on anything except the Hi-Pro switch housing.

As seen here:

Show Image

They pop out quite a bit from the plate.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #352 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:00:31 »
Hi-Pro has a different slider + slider housing, so it has to be swapped w/ the caps. Although it might just be the housing, sliders might be the same.

Unfortunately not!

They are not sold separately, and in fact the caps are a little different than normal. You won't be able to mount them on anything except the Hi-Pro switch housing.

As seen here:

Show Image

TIL
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #353 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:41:06 »

Unfortunately not!

As seen here:

Show Image

TIL

Im pretty sure they still work with standard sliders/housings. You will just lose some side support for the slider/keycap. Not sure if this would increase wobble though.

Edit: just read mobbos full post. Disregard.

Offline hpfalcon

« Reply #354 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 12:42:26 »
some people put hi-pro caps on hhkb, and its impossible to replace the housings on a hhkb

Offline alisonica

« Reply #355 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 13:15:54 »
Noruba sensei watashino body is ready

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #356 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 15:36:21 »
Noruba sensei watashino body is ready
Nghhh so much black marooon...

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 18:47:38 »
Thinking about transplanting my Hipro caps to the 87u. From what I can gather, all I have to do is transplant the hipro switch housings/stems, grind a notch in the plate for left control and desolder the left control led. Am I missing anything? Any tips for this mod?
Check out mr livingspeedbump post somewhere. Picture included.  :thumb:
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #358 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 19:12:17 »
HiPro caps transplant just fine on regular housings.

- Typed on HiPro Nissho caps on a vanilla 89u.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 19:38:10 »
Yeah, I don't even know why the HiPro caps even have different housings. They feel no different on regular sliders.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #360 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 20:37:37 »
I thought it was hipro caps wobble but work on lowpro sliders, but hipro sliders can't use anything but hipro caps

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 08:06:35 »
I thought it was hipro caps wobble but work on lowpro sliders, but hipro sliders can't use anything but hipro caps

Wobble doesn't change. The reason I don't use HiPro housings is because they require more frequent cleaning. I think in theory they're supposed to reduce wobble and protect the stems from snapping. In practice they only do the latter.

Your second fact is right. Only HiPro caps work on HiPro housings.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 21:30:34 »
Does anyone have a guide to replacing Realforce sliders with the JTK sliders? Trying to figure out if I need to make modifications to fit the stabilized keys/spacebar, and also how to lube the sliders.

Offline Will_26

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 11:54:58 »
Does anyone have a guide to replacing Realforce sliders with the JTK sliders? Trying to figure out if I need to make modifications to fit the stabilized keys/spacebar, and also how to lube the sliders.

This guide has a lot of info and pictures! I bookmarked it in case I decide to Mx slider swap mine https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93076.0

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #364 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 22:31:40 »
Ryan, is this still going? I notice some buy it now options are still available on the website.
Got my white realforce and after a couple weeks I'm really digging the white and green pbt layout I have going for it.
So much so that I might jump on another case in astro purple for a stock topre board if they're still up.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 23:03:36 »
Ryan, is this still going? I notice some buy it now options are still available on the website.
Got my white realforce and after a couple weeks I'm really digging the white and green pbt layout I have going for it.
So much so that I might jump on another case in astro purple for a stock topre board if they're still up.

Sorry for the confusion; those are just a couple of reserved items for specific GH members who just haven’t paid their invoices yet; they actually aren’t available if you try to checkout.

The order has already been placed with the factory, but I did order a few extras in a select set of options and finishes. Hopefully this won’t open the floodgates, but if anybody would like to try to get squeezed in, you can email me 1) your desired finish, 2) WKL/standard option preference, and 3) shipping address with phone number, and I can let you know if the option you want is available among the unreserved extras.

Thanks!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 23:30:30 »

This guide has a lot of info and pictures! I bookmarked it in case I decide to Mx slider swap mine https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93076.0

Thanks!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #367 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 01:58:55 »
Norbaforce I was wondering if its possible to have a instillation video done? I seen your previous video's and there really nice and a detail video specifically for the case would be nice. This will be my first time opening a topre having it shown step by step would be seriously helpful. Also one question I know it said the anodized units will ship before the powder coated units.  Obviously regardless of how you answer it won't be held against ya cause I know there no definitive time frame. Was the Spring/Early Summer Estimate for those with Powder Coated units are those with Anodized finishes. I am just excited really really excited.

Offline typischt

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 03:59:04 »
Norbaforce I was wondering if its possible to have a instillation video done? I seen your previous video's and there really nice and a detail video specifically for the case would be nice. This will be my first time opening a topre having it shown step by step would be seriously helpful. Also one question I know it said the anodized units will ship before the powder coated units.  Obviously regardless of how you answer it won't be held against ya cause I know there no definitive time frame. Was the Spring/Early Summer Estimate for those with Powder Coated units are those with Anodized finishes. I am just excited really really excited.
Hey HotRoderX
Topclack already made an installation video, you can find it here:
I‘m not that experienced myself but I‘m assuming that this video should be enough of a help to be able to install it properly.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #369 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 18:11:18 »
In addition to Huey's awesome assembly video/review, I also plan to include a cool little surprise in the product box, which will guide you through the set-up process. :) I also plan to make it super easy to assemble by having all of the components that can be pre-assembled already in place as the unit comes out of the box.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 23:03:39 »
In addition to Huey's awesome assembly video/review, I also plan to include a cool little surprise in the product box, which will guide you through the set-up process. :) I also plan to make it super easy to assemble by having all of the components that can be pre-assembled already in place as the unit comes out of the box.

Hey HotRoderX
Topclack already made an installation video, you can find it here:
I‘m not that experienced myself but I‘m assuming that this video should be enough of a help to be able to install it properly.

Thanks to you both I am a bit nervous I am super super excited. I built a keyboard it can't be much harder then that. Still I am nervous this has been a huge investment but totally worth every dime.

Offline Dee1

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 10 January 2018, 08:46:12 »
Here's hoping I can get one of the extras! :)

Offline regionfree

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 00:57:25 »
i love the deep sound the board produces from that video! really can't wait to get this :)

Offline tron

« Reply #373 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 10:22:01 »

I'm curious what domes you plan to use in your own case. If I remember your Top Clack episode correctly, you said that you prefer lighter domes (30g uniform?). Where would one obtain all 30g or 40g uniform domes?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 January 2018, 10:42:27 by tron »

Offline hpfalcon

« Reply #374 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 11:14:46 »
there are jis realforce models that come with 30g domes, I believe he harvests them from those. Keyclack is coming out with super-light BKE domes also, which are ~35g, and also currently have light ones which are ~45g.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #375 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 21:00:00 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:
For 1: $230
For 5: $104
For 10: $100
For 20: $90

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

edit: All prices in CAD which currently trades for 0.8USD.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 January 2018, 21:05:21 by clappingcactus »

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #376 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 21:34:17 »
PMed.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 21:40:33 »
clappingcactus - sounds perfect. Count me in. Now to find matching screws lol.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 10:13:16 »
clappingcactus - I'll most likely be in as well! Thanks for putting this together.

Offline bminhz

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 10:30:03 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

The place also contracts a Rolex (re)finisher for their PVD work, and can get Nickel and Gold done. The Nickel PVD plating would cost about $50-70ish, and the Gold PVD would cost $100-$150ish (because the Gold actual is double-plated, with a base of Nickel first). I understand this puts the highest end plate at around $250ish which is a lot, but advantages include impeccable work, great QC and turnaround time (I guarantee your plates will arrive before the case does).

I would be taking in three extra plates' worth of money just in case of accidents or mis-estimated pricings. Shipping worldwide from Canada is about $40 per piece, and I'd be 'paying myself' $15 per hour for the administrative duties (estimated 6 hours work) (and I'll actually be donating all this money to a homeless shelter local to me with a donation receipt for all to see). Any surplus cash will be listed clearly after the buy, and will be available to be forwarded in lump-sum to any buys related to Norbauer's cases (i.e. if someone wants to take on a brass plate or offer a re-anodization process or for Norbauer himself to prototype future cases etc.).

How does this sound?

I guess I'd be in as well. thanks again

Offline tron

« Reply #380 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 10:38:58 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

Count me in  :thumb:

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #381 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 11:28:52 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

Definitely in for one of these!

Offline Devkey

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 22:28:58 »
Pardon my ignorance, but would the brass plate just be for weight or would it change the feel at all?

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #383 on: Fri, 12 January 2018, 22:32:02 »
A brass backplate likely only impacts weight and aesthetics, although due to the density of brass it could change the pitch of the hollow sound. A brass mounting plate would likely be more significant. Still crosing my fingers for that one, but it involves a bit more R&D.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 02:08:54 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

I'm 100% in dude. Will you be posting the google form on this thread?

Thanks for your support!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 02:25:38 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

Question cause seriously interested. Is the Nickle option 50-70ish on top of the cost of the brass are is it a stand alone cost? Also assuming these will have a coating to protect against tarnishing?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #386 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 10:32:21 »
Thank you so much for arranging this clappingcactus! I think I’ll get at least one of these myself. Two suggestions: 1) can you maybe post photos of parts finished by the shop using the same process?, 2) should we maybe move the after-market backplate conversation to a new IC/GB thread to avoid confusing people who may not be following too closely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #387 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:55:04 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

i'd definitely be in for this. Can we get an estimate for how much heavier gold would be than brass (particularly given that it's gold + nickel + gold)?

Offline Peddamann

« Reply #388 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 12:56:59 »
pro new IC/GB thread

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #389 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 11:00:43 »
Question cause seriously interested. Is the Nickle option 50-70ish on top of the cost of the brass are is it a stand alone cost? Also assuming these will have a coating to protect against tarnishing?

i'd definitely be in for this. Can we get an estimate for how much heavier gold would be than brass (particularly given that it's gold + nickel + gold)?

I might also be interested in one of these backplates but would like to know about the above as well.

I also think a new IC/GB thread is a good idea.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #390 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 15:01:10 »
Hey fellow nerds. I have an important note for folks who missed out and wanted to get in on the GB.

The order has been placed with the factory, and they are currently working on a final sample using production tooling, after which production begins. I've been trying my best to process through the many requests I've gotten from people who want to be squeezed in (which I need to cut off, for reals, very soon). However, I've had a horrible flu for the past 10 (!) days, with little time at my computer, and as a result, keeping track of the production quantity spreadsheets, sending invoices, keeping on top of all the back-and-forth emails this generates has been a challenge. So I've decided that the simplest solution is as follows:

I HAVE TEMPORARILY RE-OPENED THE GROUP BUY, WITH LIMITED QUANTITIES/FINISHES AVAILABLE, UNTIL THIS FRIDAY (19 Jan) NOON PST to allow folks to essentially pre-order a sub-set of the extras that I built into the order already placed with the factory. This saves me having to generate and process a bunch of one-off invoices privately to do essentially the same thing.

So, though a limited set of finishes and options are available (particularly WKL), if you wanted to get in on this design, please do that now, through the online checkout form, rather than emailing me. :) After that point, regretfully, I won't be able to help anyone who wants a case until all the group buy orders have arrived in the US later this year.

I hope that this is helpful to some folks, and my apologies to those of you who have been awaiting overdue email replies from me. I'll be working diligently on clearing out my inbox this afternoon and pointing people here to this post.

Thanks!

PS: I finished the packaging design last week, and it's a big aesthetic upgrade over last time. Can't wait to surprise you all with it. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 January 2018, 15:51:25 by norbauer »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #391 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 18:54:31 »
Thanks for allowing an extra shot at buying one! If silver non blocked cases are still available on the 19th I will grab one  :thumb:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #392 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 19:09:06 »
Thanks for allowing an extra shot at buying one! If silver non blocked cases are still available on the 19th I will grab one  :thumb:

Don't give me too much credit since it's really just a way for me to be lazy, but still, I'm glad I'm able to help. :cool:

Offline DribbelDog

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 08:16:14 »
Brass backplate update:

@ order quantities;

Brushed:

How does this sound?

I'd be in for one as well (probably without coating)!

Offline clappingcactus

Hey all, I'll start an IC thread next Monday. I'm busy this week and want to do it right from the start. I'll also have price breakdowns for orders of 30/40/50 since we seem to have fair interest.

Offline alisonica

Hey all, I'll start an IC thread next Monday. I'm busy this week and want to do it right from the start. I'll also have price breakdowns for orders of 30/40/50 since we seem to have fair interest.

I need 5 bro

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Placed my order on the tactical black. I'm have a concern for the rubber feet, can we able to get some extras?

Offline norbauer

Placed my order on the tactical black. I'm have a concern for the rubber feet, can we able to get some extras?

The box will include more than you need. :)

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Damn. That's top notch customer service quality.  ;D

Offline regionfree

I lost my rubber feet, but the size it uses seems to be a common one, as I was able to buy 3M ones from the local shop. It won't be a problem even if you need more :)