Author Topic: Dishwashing a disassembled Model M  (Read 4922 times)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Dishwashing a disassembled Model M
« on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 14:01:48 »
Many of you are comfortable doing this sort of thing, but I was hesitant all the same and figured I'd post a mini-gallery showing my process of dishwashing a Model M 122 I'm preparing for bolt mod. Imgur gallery here.

I started by running full-tilt-boogie hot water into a bowl and checking it with an electronic cooking thermometer. 120° Fahrenheit...

...Or for you sensible Metric lovers, 50° Celcius

The outer housing of the Model M is made of PVC which melts at 100° C, the keycaps are made of PBT which melts at an even higher 223° C, and I haven't heard of anything on the board being made with ABS but even ABS doesn't melt until at least 100° C. My hot water is barely half as hot as any temperature that would be dangerous to the plastics.

So in they go. Yes, it's a M-122 and therefore I have to rack it diagonally across my tiny little dishwashing machine. A garment/lingerie bag is draped over the top to hold all the keycaps.

At this point, ensure that the "Heated Dry" setting is switched to OFF to ensure the heating element does not turn on.

I ran a "quick wash" with a small amount of dishwashing detergent and everything cleaned up fine. No damage to the IBM badge at all. I opted to wash the bottom half of the case by hand to avoid doing any damage to the sticker.

Clean and dust/shmoo free.

The caps are completely unharmed. Now to let them dry out on a towel for a day or so, and I'll continue with my bolt mod.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2018, 09:42:54 by mogo »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Dishwashing a disassembled Model M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 19:45:28 »
Nice.

I did mind completely by hand, but then I wanted to scrub off some ink marks on the case too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 13:45:05 »
Nice rundown on the process and I like the extra info on the plastics.

At this point, ensure that the "Heated Dry" setting is switched to OFF to ensure the heating element does not turn on.

Key step! Also I think being sure set to which ever setting is the gentlest on you particular washer is a good idea too. I washed a M122 case in the dishwasher a few months ago (also basically just to see how well  it worked) and although I was careful about the heated drying, I think my washer heated the water quite a bit during the cycle. It didn't ruin anything, but it was close - I had some warping of the front case that I was able to fix with use of a hair drier.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 14:11:45 »
Like OldIsNew, I thought about the heating element because that's what the dishwasher is made to do. This is definitely the most important step of the process. I was also wondering how you were going to wash the caps without them going all over the place. The wash bag is a great idea  :thumb:

Good to see it turned out well!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline mogo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 09:44:57 »
Like OldIsNew, I thought about the heating element because that's what the dishwasher is made to do. This is definitely the most important step of the process. I was also wondering how you were going to wash the caps without them going all over the place. The wash bag is a great idea  :thumb:

Good to see it turned out well!

So well that I've repeated the process on my SSK! And yeah, I picked up the lingerie bag at the grocery store for about 3 bucks. Very handy purchase.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:16:31 »
//Headscratch..

It would've been much faster with a garden hose....

Yes you can put it in your dishwasher..

But think about what people DO with keyboards.

It's got all that,   man-jelly on there..

And now you've washed man jelly in the same place you wash your dishes..

SO now you're EATING.. hahaha.. sigh..

I don't know what went through your mind,  but you don't p00p where you eat right ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 19:49:12 »
I gave mine a bath.

187019-0

Couldn't light the candles, it was too windy.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mogo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 08:44:35 »

I don't know what went through your mind,  but you don't p00p where you eat right ?

Your leaps of logic are fascinating.

I gave mine a bath.

(Attachment Link)

Couldn't light the candles, it was too windy.

A true romantic!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 14:08:16 »

Your leaps of logic are fascinating.

For example..

The meat industry workers have a much higher rate of disease/illnesses than other industries.

They've tested numerous off the shelf packed chicken from many supermarkets. 90% of them had fecal matter contamination..

So.. it's not a leap really,  it's just a matter of fact that contamination is not something you can see..   and it DOES have consequences..

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:11:36 »

... They've tested numerous off the shelf packed chicken from many supermarkets. 90% of them had fecal matter contamination..

So.. it's not a leap really,  it's just a matter of fact that contamination is not something you can see..   and it DOES have consequences..

Absolutely! Never eat anything from your dishwasher that's undercooked!   BTW I'm not kidding:

187102-0           187104-1

https://lifehacker.com/5478670/how-to-cook-something-in-the-dishwasher

https://lifehacker.com/203421/macgyver-tip--poach-salmon-in-the-dishwasher

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-stir/dishwasher-cooking_b_3605859.html

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/152738/i_cooked_chicken_in_my#/food_party/152738/i_cooked_chicken_in_my/105830/like_really_cooked?slideid=105830

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 19:44:54 »

... They've tested numerous off the shelf packed chicken from many supermarkets. 90% of them had fecal matter contamination..

Absolutely! Never eat anything from your dishwasher that's undercooked!   BTW I'm not kidding:

(Attachment Link)             (Attachment Link)

https://lifehacker.com/5478670/how-to-cook-something-in-the-dishwasher

https://lifehacker.com/203421/macgyver-tip--poach-salmon-in-the-dishwasher

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-stir/dishwasher-cooking_b_3605859.html

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/152738/i_cooked_chicken_in_my#/food_party/152738/i_cooked_chicken_in_my/105830/like_really_cooked?slideid=105830

Do you still need to wash the dishes if you have cooked the meal in the dishwasher?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 00:58:10 »
OP: You didn't mention this (unless I missed it), but you didn't put the back half of your cases through the DW, did you? I don't see how you could do that and avoid ruining the labels.

This seems like a great way to clean the barrel plate, which has so many nooks 'n' crannies, it's very frustrating trying to clean it by hand.

Re the rest—while I appreciate your time, and the quality of your post, I think I'll keep cleaning my keys in a container of warm water with some liquid laundry soap (stirring every 10 minutes, 30 minutes total), and washing my case-halves with liquid dish soap. They come out sparkling clean, it's really not that much trouble, and no nail-biting's required.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mogo

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:33:46 »
OP: You didn't mention this (unless I missed it), but you didn't put the back half of your cases through the DW, did you? I don't see how you could do that and avoid ruining the labels.

This seems like a great way to clean the barrel plate, which has so many nooks 'n' crannies, it's very frustrating trying to clean it by hand.

Re the rest—while I appreciate your time, and the quality of your post, I think I'll keep cleaning my keys in a container of warm water with some liquid laundry soap (stirring every 10 minutes, 30 minutes total), and washing my case-halves with liquid dish soap. They come out sparkling clean, it's really not that much trouble, and no nail-biting's required.  :?)

It was mentioned under one of the photos.
I ran a "quick wash" with a small amount of dishwashing detergent and everything cleaned up fine. No damage to the IBM badge at all. I opted to wash the bottom half of the case by hand to avoid doing any damage to the sticker.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do this, I don't know how every dishwashing machine works and some may superheat the water before it sprays out, some may not, I'm not sure. I'm confident that mine uses water at a safe temperature.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:00:30 »
I've seen this go very wrong before.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 12:14:13 »
I've seen this go very wrong before.

Melting is the only big one.

People also forget,  Even if something doesn't melt,  hot plastic is supple,  which means it can still warp to some extent.

There is also the issue where the Inrush water is not where the temp measurement takes place.

The dishwasher typically only measures the average temp of the container. or have multiple sensors set to a predefined curve, it's not an accurately controlled vessel.

So, the in rushing hot water May actually be MUCH HOTTER than the setting you set it at.

This is assuming the dishwasher has its own heater,  if not, then the OP method is correct.