Author Topic: [Question] m0116 Shift/Command/Caps Lock modifiers dead, advice on a fix?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
Hey GeekHack, I'm kind of new to this forum so apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to post this topic..

Recently I procured 2 m0116, one orange and one salmon ALPS, and did the ADB -> USB conversion on both using the Teensy 2.0, TMK, and some handiwork. On one of 2 of the boards, I'm not getting any response so far as I can tell from the modifiers listed: Shift/Command/Caps Lock/Control/etc and was hoping to find some help on this forum.

Anyone familiar with the m0116 PCB enough to advise on a fix? Maybe a bad resistor somewhere or...? I'm not really sure where to start investigating. Also, all base layer keys are functioning as expected (even TMK re-mapped numpad that has been mapped to Function 1-10 keys).

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: After some testing, I can see the ALPS switches' actuation registering across a multimeter.... Additionally, using  http://gadzikowski.com/nkeyrollover.html I was able to confirm that the board indeed has 2 key rollover needed to support this functionality.

Also thought to mention were some complications with installing the Teensy into the second m0116, namely that Massdrop shipped a faulty usb cable which I took apart for the panel mount connection to the Teensy... This resulted in the Teensy getting really hot and my Macbook rejecting the connection because of power draw issues. Could that cause the Teensy to behave like this, to register only partially? The cable issue was fixed with a new cable from panel mount to Teensy, but found the modifier issue once the board was live.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 July 2018, 22:11:00 by mounds »
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline mounds

• The Mounds Abides
Shameless bump as I've yet to turn up any m0116 documentation myself... Going to attempt a full teardown either this weekend or next weekend and report any findings. If all else fails I guess ALPS64/65 is the next step  ;D
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Sorry for the late reply!

I'm not familiar with Mac key names but if all the non-working keys are in the corner of the board it sounds like there's a break in the matrix.  Post a pic of the back of the board with the traces visible in the shine and I'll have a go at working out what may be damaged - you have a multimeter so all good.  Also the Teensy doesn't know about individual keys in this scenario so if any work it's fine :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mounds

• The Mounds Abides
Apologies for the late reply! I was out of town and just yesterday got around to taking a look at the board again. Turns out I just goofed and desoldered a pin by accident LOL.... Sorry about the fuss, not sure how I missed that  :))